Gator Basketball *** Official Basketball Thread: UF v Arkansas ***

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I think his awkward foot 'clumsifies' his mobility.?? Somethings got to be done if he's going to play as a pro. The surgery I think was back in 2017. So it would be like a repair on a re-injury. (/QUOTE)

Share your disappointment in the team's development. I expected the improvement that we are seeing now to occur midseason. Disagree a little on Jitoboh. I saw him as a project from early on. You can see his potential (his screens were nice) but his shooting was horrible and he lost his man a few times.(/QUOTE)

Much less guide them into mismatches to take advantage.

Scottie now projects to be a powerful teammate. His reflexes now seem more educated.
Layups with the correct spin & bank are being executed pretty well by KJ, by Nemby, by Scotty.
Good we won the game with Jitoboh playing so long. That's the first time White's acted as if he understands developing big assets.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
To my way of thinking (yuk-yuk) Jitoboh should be the yardstick by which White's promise is scored. At his size 6'11" & 285 lbs, he could be a good leap towards winning 20+ per season. White allowing Jitoboh 16 major minutes' pt, I hope shows that MW realizes the need for coaching to have the faith that they can develop Jitoboh into a 20-ppg, 8 reb player. Versus Arkansas, he had a bad game as a 1st-time "relied-upon" team player. Jitoboh ran the court better than before-games (developing or just loping?) All prior games Jitoboh showed soft-touch scoring.

I don't know why White & crew seemed to have lost regard for Payne. Who is pouting White or Payne? Payne has more potential than Jitoboh.

Beating UK will be huge. Let's see if the pressure befouls our 3-pt shots.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We're still sitting on a negative assist/turnover ratio. If we don't reverse that by the end of the season, it'll be the first time since before the 2002-03 season, which was as far back as I could look on ESPN. Yikes.

Correct Cappem Slappem, the inverted ratio TO to Assists is actually a gauge to how decent is the BBall IQ of the coaching.?
We could greatly up that by executing a give (from a "big") and go (with the pass right back to the driving (hands high without the ball) "big".
Right the recipient of the ball never even looks -- just a look and twitch-fake can throw the close-in D into chaos? But I think we can profit in points & foul-gets. It's gonna be much needed during tournament play.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Payne and Jitoboh are being brought along at the right pace. Neither arrived SEC ready. They are adjusting to the college game. Payne has more potential as Jitoboh is extremely raw.

They are improving and will continue to do so. Payne needs to gain weight/muscle.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Good to see them not cave in completely. I would like to see them keep the intensity the entire game and not give up these huge leads. Musselman has been a master at making amazing comebacks. Hey, White is now 2-0 vs Musselman and both times warded off huge comeback attempts.

The last five games are nasty. They better bring it, if that's possible.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Curious about Payne's beautiful game with 19 points. If he can do that once, he should be hitting 10 points per game by now .... of course allowed 2-3 games sub 10. We all watched Payne playing a lot like a few other freshmen in CBBall? There are plenty of freshmen averaging 10/game. He's being utilized like he's one of the coach's nephew who's in town and could he play with these Gators?

Don't mean to desert this team. We have to beat UK this Saturday. The win-glory and the film-room would really help our guys to gel.
Please gel 'em White after 26 games .... we're waiting for it, for the gelling, Coach?

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Yesterday was a typical 2019/20 Gator bball performance: spurts where we look like a top 10 team with balance and depth...and spurts where we look like we have no idea what we're doing and play lazy, unfocused, and undisciplined.

Go up by 19...let them back into it and close to within 2...then go on a late spurt to put them away. The positives were that our freshman bigs stepped up and--mostly--played well. Payne and Jitoboh both had solid stops on the defensive end and caused problems for Arkansas throughout the game by affecting shots and blocking out. KJ was his solid, consistent self; and Nembhard and Locke both pitched in good games too. The freshman had freshman moments...but overall: our bench was deeper than theirs and that helped us pull through.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Curious about Payne's beautiful game with 19 points. If he can do that once, he should be hitting 10 points per game by now .... of course allowed 2-3 games sub 10. We all watched Payne playing a lot like a few other freshmen in CBBall? There are plenty of freshmen averaging 10/game. He's being utilized like he's one of the coach's nephew who's in town and could he play with these Gators?

Don't mean to desert this team. We have to beat UK this Saturday. The win-glory and the film-room would really help our guys to gel.
Please gel 'em White after 26 games .... we're waiting for it, for the gelling, Coach?
Almost all of the points that game and from him in general have been on putbacks. Not a good predictor or baseline for him getting points regularly

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Almost all of the points that game and from him in general have been on putbacks. Not a good predictor or baseline for him getting points regularly

So true. Payne was roaming free and getting put backs. He now gets attention and has had trouble creating shots. Needs better footwork i.e. drop steps. At his size and weight he needs to be able to shoot facing the basket....short corner/elbow/jump hooks. This combined with his athleticism will create a dynamic player eventually. He’s a good defender but often fails to rotate defensively. Very efficient shot blocker.

He’s going to be a solid, consistent contributor soon....but for now we will settle for flashes of what will come.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
To my way of thinking (yuk-yuk) Jitoboh should be the yardstick b. . . At his size 6'11" & 285 lbs, he could be a good leap towards winning 20+ per season. ... faith that they can develop Jitoboh into a 20-ppg, 8 reb player. ...

Payne has more potential than Jitoboh.

Payne . . .Needs better footwork i.e. drop steps. At his size and weight he needs to be able to shoot facing the basket....short corner/elbow/jump hooks. This combined with his athleticism will create a dynamic player eventually. He’s a good defender but often fails to rotate defensively. Very efficient shot blocker.

He’s going to be a solid, consistent contributor soon....but for now we will settle for flashes of what will come.

Payne should end up the much better player in today's game (and already is). First, unlike Jitoboh, he can go cover the wing and a 4 or 5 that can shoot a three. Then, he is the more athletic help defender and shot blocker.

As for offense, Jitoboh has only shown limited back to the basket ability and I don't see that changing (both may get put back dunks - Payne's athleticism should get him more - and easy dish dunks). Yesterday I saw Roy Hibbert (a pure back to the basket player (24 3PA in more than 600 games) discussing how that is the least efficient play in basketball when run by your center/PF. Even with a high % of makes, the chance for a rebound and another shot is so low that it is all or none and only gets you 2 points.

As Marine noted, Payne, however, can play facing the basket and has a FT shot that at least looks like he has shooting range to the elbow. Jitoboh does not appear to ever be the next Udonis or Horford. Even Da Meat Hook shot 30% from 3.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You want Quad 1 and 2 wins. We are 7-9 in those games. We have 3 Quad 1 wins and 4 in Quad 2. We have 6 Quad 3 wins and 4 Quad 4 wins. We have ZERO Quad 3 or 4 losses which is HUGE cause you don't want any of those bad losses so we had no bad losses thus far in the season. We are staring at a 9 or 10 seed unless we totally collapse and lose the rest of our games. It looks like we will go 2-3 to finish the season and then need at least 1 win in the SEC tourney to get into the NCAA Tourney. If we finish strong we may go up to a 6 seed but with this team we are usually disappointed. We will see how it all plays out. Go Gators!!

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Duke Trashed @NCSt 88-66. Total shocker once again in this crazy college basketball season.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.