Gator Basketball *** Official Basketball Thread: UF v Uga ***

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wow what a 2nd half for the Gators outscoring the hated UGA Dawgs 55-34. Obviously a huge comeback and great win for our Gators. Nembhard with a career high 25 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2 steals. KJ steady as ever with 15 points and 7 rebounds. Scottie Lewis with only 4 points but had 9 rebounds. Mann huge off the bench with 11 points, all in the 2nd half. Blackshear battled foul trouble but still have 12 points and 6 rebounds. Really have to credit these Gators for not giving up and battling back with toughness and making shots. A big key to the game was White going to the Zone and that had a huge effect in the comeback rally. These Gators just fought so hard and found a way to win the game against a very hated rival. Go Gators!!
Fought so hard, not giving up, battling back... to a .500 team at home with vastly 2x more talent. My God how the expectation has diminished.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Good fan, bad fan my foot. This is about the coach. White's stumbly non-development of these individual athletes along with his lack of teaching teamwork. There is something wrong when a coach recruits 6'10" Payne and 6'11" Jitoboh and then has no development regimen that should make them more & more useful to this Gator team. White is not doing a capable job. Get his influence away from those young Gator stars. Several coaches would be fiercely enthused to mold these talented athletes. In none of White's 4 or 5 seasons have I seen him enthused, zero fire. At times when Scottie Lewis was playing really well (soring, breakout game??) White told him to stop his celebrating fidgets. White has a "wer blanket" personality.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
White is not doing a capable job. Get his influence away from those young Gator stars.
So the team and school we hate more than our impending demise beat us? I must have read the stat sheet wrong. Great comeback. I watched the first 23 minutes of the game and went home. It seemed over. dwags could not miss and our rims were like shooting at cheerios. If coach gets the hate for the losses surely he gets a little love for the wins. Btw chck out the Vandy vs LSU score. Talk about bizarre.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
It's miserable Fanatics like you that don't allow any joy in life..... Everytime anyone post anything positive, anything.... you reply like one of Pavlov's Dogs, with the same old cookie cutter crap.....
anytime ,....ANYTIME we beat the dwags in anything is wonderful. And letting them taste that easy victory in their minds and then run off a 37-9 2nd half to CRUSH their spirits makes it even sweeter. Edwards will be a multi-millionaire next year and they will be back to helpless again. Crean couldnt do it at Indiana and wont do it in Assthens. fck the dogs and let the haters hate.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
As I said earlier, I am ambivalent on White at this point. I am one of the consistent pumpers, but damn it is hard to walk into the Odome for every game knowing that you will see at least one half of the opponent hitting open shots (usually 3s) and us trying to hit impossible shots with no ball movement. I just had to leave after the first half, especially hearing all the dawg fans. My ultimate decision on White is going to come at the end of the season and see if he retains all the players versus all of them transferring.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Missed the game but had it on record. Just finished watching and enjoyed it. A 39-7 run?? That’s practically unheard of at any level of ball. The crowd was into it and it was the most excitement I’ve seen all year from the players. That’s what college sports brings to the table.

Great game by Nembhard. Great spark by Keonte. And a Tre Mann sighting. Damn it was fun to see him step up.

Go Gators!

I also did not get to watch it, but a game where you get so far behind is not by my criteria a good game, it might be a great half. I also don't understand how folks blame the coach for players who are not consistent in their play. They do run good offense sometimes, so they can do it. That indicates to me that the coach has trained them, they just need to be consistent.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
Any win over the Dwags is a good win. I’ll take it and save the bitching for another opportunity, which I’m confident is coming.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Got home in time to catch the last 40sec, so that was ok. Then I heard the announcers talking about 20pt comeback, trailing by 15 at the half, and figured I *HAD* to read ya'll meltdown. You didn't disappoint.

For me, beating UGA is a good thing.

That we can make such a super comeback is great, it shows the potential others saw in us (early season rankings) is actually there, though it just doesn't come out enough. That we can be down by so much TWICE in a season tells me this team isn't preparing for games - unfocused, no drive, no identity. That's on White. I'd give him credit for lighting a fire at halftime to get the players to produce, if it weren't for the fact that they are capable of doing it a full game and he has consistently failed to light that fire accordingly.

Fire.Mike.White.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I also did not get to watch it, but a game where you get so far behind is not by my criteria a good game, it might be a great half. I also don't understand how folks blame the coach for players who are not consistent in their play. They do run good offense sometimes, so they can do it. That indicates to me that the coach has trained them, they just need to be consistent.

There is plenty of “blame” to go around. We have many here addressing the coaching. I’m focusing on the players. I like our group. But none of our freshmen are nearly as polished offensively as a freshman like Anthony Edwards. He’s ready. Ours need a development. Tre might have turned the corner. We’ll see if he can string a few games together. Scotty had more rebounds last night than he had last 4 or so games combined. He still isn’t attacking the rim like he should but is getting more comfortable with his outside shot.

I’m just not one of the guys who can’t enjoy, watch or attend the games. I look forward to every game.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
We have some real talent on the floor. I saw Lewis go up one time for a rebound so high I thought Dominque Wilkins was back in the Odome. Shooting is our MAIN problem. We get good looks with decent ball movement but we need more. I agree about Lewis attacking the rim. We seem to have problems spreading the court to get the other teams out of position for more drives to the basket. But our main problems are 1. we have no real leader (Lewis wants to be) 2. We are soft as a team and inside and hopefully the big freshman will come around. 3. We still do not have that cohesion or chemistry or whatever it is. They all need to come back next year. My wish is that they could spend about 3 months with Savage before next season. And even Joakim to speak to them about being and playing so passive without much emotion. I remember that our PG on the 04s was so calm and cool but the rest of the players didnt play like that. This team seems to all take on Andrew's personna. I will say this. Shooting that poorly in the first half with the dwags lightting it up and still coming back to win is impressive. I could not BELIEVE the range that Edwards kid had. Has a little Zion in him.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nembhard really ran the show last night in the 2nd half. He wasn't afraid to take the team on his back and take over the game. KJ too, he has been the MVP all season long. I see some minimalizing the win. Any time you can beat the hated dawgs in anything is big time. It doesn't matter about the talent gap or records against UGA. You could say that UGA had the better talent with the likely top pick in the NBA draft and we were able to overcome him and the team in the 2nd half. Kudos to OUR Gators to not giving up and finishing off the WIN.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I could see Scotty entertaining the draft as well as Nembhard. Kerry is obviously gone.

Keonte should stay as he needs the additional work due to being undersized for his natural position. Under no circumstances will he transfer from UF.

Locke will not transfer and give up a season.

Mann will not transfer from his hometown.

Payne has been called the hardest worker on the team by White. He won’t leave.

Glover....where would he go? He ain’t leaving.

Who might transfer? Bassett or Jit? If so we would need to replace with a couple of bigs.
Those that left after last season were basically processed. They weren’t going to play and they knew it. BTW, Stone had his annual injury and is no longer on the court for Miami last I checked.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah Stone was injured again and was out a few weeks. He has only played in 9 games for Miami and averages 4 points and 3 rebounds a game. Hopefully he can get healed up and play overseas and make some money in the future. Good Luck Stone!

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Yeah Stone was injured again and was out a few weeks. He has only played in 9 games for Miami and averages 4 points and 3 rebounds a game. Hopefully he can get healed up and play overseas and make some money in the future. Good Luck Stone!

He’s a great kid and has just had a run of bad luck. I’d love to see him a lay overseas.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I could see Scotty entertaining the draft as well as Nembhard. Kerry is obviously gone.

Mann will not transfer from his hometown.

Scottie's draft stock has been destroyed. He is barely listed as a potential second round pick thanks to White's coaching. To me, I can totally see him transferring out. There have been plenty of rumors that him and White do not get along.

As for Mann, I can see him transferring as well due to how mismanaged he has been. But, as you said, he likes being close to home.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Scottie's draft stock has been destroyed. He is barely listed as a potential second round pick thanks to White's coaching. To me, I can totally see him transferring out. There have been plenty of rumors that him and White do not get along.

As for Mann, I can see him transferring as well due to how mismanaged he has been. But, as you said, he likes being close to home.
Scottie and Mann wont transfer lol. They will go pro or stay here

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Scottie and Mann wont transfer lol. They will go pro or stay here

Mann isn't going pro. Scottie could still work himself into the high second round with excellent camps. As for them transferring, I don't think it will happen. But, with Lewis, it wouldn't surprise me.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
UF deserves at least a good coach, if not an excellent coach. Excellent enough that game announcers brag about his methods so potential star recruits can yearn to play for UF. Announcers express dead-end doubts on how UF's coach cannot mold these guys to fit a worthwhile 17-4 team. If watching UF basketball is frustrating for us fans, think how flummoxed announcers get covering this team with no winning template.
... or a team that passes unnecessarily absentmindedly? ... a team that misuses its big men by teaching them nothing about positioning?

I'm thinking White's downfall, Gator's downfall is White's attributional attitude (a spirituality that's set for life). That means that White wrongfully attributes the results to have nothing to do with what White does = an HC that cannot cause good to develop and cannot be responsible for failuresb -- all things just tumble out as they may,?? Go Gators & go Mike White.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.