Gator Basketball *** Official Basketball Thread: UF v Uga ***

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
What the hell? :confused: :crazy: :facepalm:

Thank you for posting this. There are certain teams I wish we would drive into the ground. The dwags are one of them. You just beat the hell outta them in the 2nd half, they are a hated rival, and nothing puts the exclamation point on like slamming it home.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

Look at the estrogen fueled urgency of White ?? Like that was his holistic mindset of superb coaching.??
I holistically distrust Mike White's coaching qualifications. With players of these Gator talents there should have been many more wins with an accompanying media buzz similar to what the Fab Five had going. I feel so sorry that these players are stuck with a coach that manipulates his "students" towards non-joy, coach-drained enthusiasm. A different coach 1st would not even try to bridle his own enthusiasm for counting his blessings at having these players, and 2nd would make sure he applies dynamic schemes to accentuate these boys' natural abilities. To White a 6'10 & 6'11" player is an illegal BBall alien. White is more likely to quash natural abilities.

Last edited:

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Scottie's draft stock has been destroyed. He is barely listed as a potential second round pick thanks to White's coaching. To me, I can totally see him transferring out. There have been plenty of rumors that him and White do not get along.

As for Mann, I can see him transferring as well due to how mismanaged he has been. But, as you said, he likes being close to home.

Scotty will play in the NBA. He has extreme athleticism. But he does not have a developed offensive game. Just look at Anthony Edwards. Huge difference offensively.

But transfer....sit out a year....play a year ....then go pro? No way. He needs one more year in college then go pro.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Can't lie I went to the bedroom and started watching "The masked singer" until my wife called out "you may want to get back in here".

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I also did not get to watch it, but a game where you get so far behind is not by my criteria a good game, it might be a great half. I also don't understand how folks blame the coach for players who are not consistent in their play. They do run good offense sometimes, so they can do it. That indicates to me that the coach has trained them, they just need to be consistent.

Actually, if the players don’t do it consistently then he hasn’t trained them by definition.
He may have tried to train them but until it shows in the games he has failed

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We have some real talent on the floor. I saw Lewis go up one time for a rebound so high I thought Dominque Wilkins was back in the Odome. Shooting is our MAIN problem. We get good looks with decent ball movement but we need more. I agree about Lewis attacking the rim. We seem to have problems spreading the court to get the other teams out of position for more drives to the basket. But our main problems are 1. we have no real leader (Lewis wants to be) 2. We are soft as a team and inside and hopefully the big freshman will come around. 3. We still do not have that cohesion or chemistry or whatever it is. They all need to come back next year. My wish is that they could spend about 3 months with Savage before next season. And even Joakim to speak to them about being and playing so passive without much emotion. I remember that our PG on the 04s was so calm and cool but the rest of the players didnt play like that. This team seems to all take on Andrew's personna. I will say this. Shooting that poorly in the first half with the dwags lightting it up and still coming back to win is impressive. I could not BELIEVE the range that Edwards kid had. Has a little Zion in him.

Our shooting has improved lately
Now our problem is defense something we used to be able to count on from White’s teams

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Did everyone see CMW run onto the court at the end to keep Lewis from a dunk at the buzzer?

Although I agree with his intent I was surprised at the emotion and energy
Would be nice to see some of that when the game is in doubt

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Did everyone see CMW run onto the court at the end to keep Lewis from a dunk at the buzzer?

Although I agree with his intent I was surprised at the emotion and energy
Would be nice to see some of that when the game is in doubt

He should have let Scottie dunk it, and then called a timeout like Urbs.

But I don't disagree with your sentiment about Mike showing some damn emotion occasionally.

Woodstork

Dec 19, 2019

He’s lost the fan base because his offense is a train wreck, his teams seldom improve, his players seldom improve, and the trajectory of the program is flat at best. So he’s established a unique multi-tiered stack of incompetence.

But this episode proves he’s not a Gator. Any chance a Gator can put an exclamation point on a massive comeback over the Dwags it needs to be done. He’s a UF hoops joy-killer on a Don Devonian scale. Send Mike the mediocre mid-major mercenary midget packing. Aka Mmmmmmike.

Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Back to the original premise of predicting the remainder of the BB season: Mostly crappy with a chance of severe suckage. Possible high winds sufficient to blow Mike White out of a job.

How come partly cloudy never collides with partly sunny?

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER Lower Expectations.
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
But this episode proves he’s not a Gator. Any chance a Gator can put an exclamation point on a massive comeback over the Dwags it needs to be done. He’s a UF hoops joy-killer on a Don Devonian scale. Send Mike the mediocre mid-major mercenary midget packing. Aka Mmmmmmike.
Any Gator who even remembers that scumbag Captain Ahab deserves a metal.

Woodstork

Dec 19, 2019
Any Gator who even remembers that scumbag Captain Ahab deserves a metal.

For those who don’t know who DeVoe is and why it is the worst of insults to compare any coach to him, you have to know Norm Sloan’s place in Gator hoops.

Basketball is a great sport and I’m grateful to the coaches who have made it relevant at UF. For me it started with Sloan - the Pell of hoops. Norm’s final 3 teams from 87-89 had the ODome rocking. Our first big taste of a national presence and our first 3 NCAA tournament teams.

In 87, my roommate and I were barhopping and ran into Dick Vitale at the hotel bar on the corner of University and 13th. It was late in the evening after UF won a rousing victory over top 10 UK on a nationally televised game. Gator hoops had roared awake.

The bar was packed with mostly adults and we went in to do some cougar hunting. We first noticed a striking tall brunette standing behind a familiar looking bald dude sitting at the bar.

We approached Vitale and asked him what he thought of Gator hoops. He invited us to sit when he learned we were student basketball junkies. We had run our throats ragged yelling at the game and he noticed. Said it was the loudest, most raucous game he’d been to that season. He genuinely loves basketball and all the fandom around it. His TV persona is just a genuine amplification from the heart. You could tell he really enjoyed covering the emergence of Sloan’s Gators.

We asked him if anyone on Florida’s roster was NBA caliber. He thought about it for a few seconds and his prediction was Maxwell 100%. When pressed regarding Montgomery and Moten, he said Moten would get a look but wouldn’t stick and Montgomery wouldn’t get an invite. This is exactly what happened. We spent about 30 minutes talking. The brunette never said a word.

It was devastating at so many levels to watch Devoe in less than a single season unravel what Sloan took 7 years to build. We often take winning as a Gator birthright. It isn’t. It takes a lot to build and is easily undone. DeVoe is the absolute worst coach Florida has ever paid. Yes, even Nord was better.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
UF deserves at least a good coach, if not an excellent coach. Excellent enough that game announcers brag about his methods so potential star recruits can yearn to play for UF. Announcers express dead-end doubts on how UF's coach cannot mold these guys to fit a worthwhile 17-4 team. If watching UF basketball is frustrating for us fans, think how flummoxed announcers get covering this team with no winning template.
... or a team that passes unnecessarily absentmindedly? ... a team that misuses its big men by teaching them nothing about positioning?

I'm thinking White's downfall, Gator's downfall is White's attributional attitude (a spirituality that's set for life). That means that White wrongfully attributes the results to have nothing to do with what White does = an HC that cannot cause good to develop and cannot be responsible for failuresb -- all things just tumble out as they may,?? Go Gators & go Mike White.

I agree we need and want a great coach, I would be interested in a list of potential replacements with their capabilities and why they would come to UF. Perhaps a seperate thread???

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Actually, if the players don’t do it consistently then he hasn’t trained them by definition.
He may have tried to train them but until it shows in the games he has failed

While I agree that he is responsible for motivating them to be consistent, some or even most of that must come from the individuals and the team. I wonder why there has not been a players only meeting to address these issues. When you only score say 50 points the problem is offense. I wonder how many of the young players are really working hard enough, I do know one is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.