***OFFICIAL BOWL GAME THREAD: UF vs Virginia***

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

False dichotomy.

I care very much about losing to UGA and coming in 2nd. I also care about making progress toward rebuilding a program that imploded at the end of Meyer, reloaded to inflict harm on itself under Muschamp and that McElwain drove into a flooded ditch.

We’ve come a long way. But the difference between very good and great is the same as the last 1/2 inch between an opponent’s TD and a deflected pass. That last bit takes focused, determined effort that starts in a couple of weeks.

Pointing out the progress isn’t pumping and pointing out the high & hard road ahead isn’t dumping.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
Dan Mullinz, first 11 win coach since Chump and first back to back 10 wins since Butters.

Rare air.

Both Butters and Chump would have lost last night’s game.

If you can’t see an improvement between those teams and Mullen’s team this year, especially on offense, then it looks like the rum has killed off the last of your brain cells capable of cognitive reasoning.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
. I also care about making progress toward rebuilding a program
Dan Mullinz playcalling still looks like a Millenial trying to drive a stick shift and Grantham is what he has always been.

Thoroughly mediocre staff. We just out talent most inferior teams not named Kintucky.

I dont know what you guys think will change in future and why you think it will change.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
What a great (moral) victory for UVA! Wish we were them. Dan sux. Granthem sux. Bronco is a god because he values playing well over winning, and reads books.

Oh wait, check that. I almost got brainwashed reading this thread on the heels of hearing 4 hours of incessant UVA knob-slobbering from the ESPN crew. But I clawed myself away from the brink of Stockholm Syndrome enough to recall that my favorite team won an entertaining bowl game. Was nice to see a run game emerge and very happy for Perine. Easy guy to root for and Dan set up some nice calls for him tonight to close out his Gator career with a bang. Go Gators!

BTW, yes I know the program isn’t at Clemson level yet and the staff was far from perfect. Also, Kyle seemed off. Enjoyed being a Gator fan anyway. I see progress, not perfection.

Good point and I got tired of them cheering on VA and their so called academics. We are a premier academic institution. After all they are 28th, while we are number 8. And we are an all sports school, they are as far as I can tell are not.

I know Dan values the academics, he has to at Florida, and I bet he both reads some books and knows that great play wins games so it too is essential.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
False dichotomy.

I care very much about losing to UGA and coming in 2nd. I also care about making progress toward rebuilding a program that imploded at the end of Meyer, reloaded to inflict harm on itself under Muschamp and that McElwain drove into a flooded ditch.

We’ve come a long way. But the difference between very good and great is the same as the last 1/2 inch between an opponent’s TD and a deflected pass. That last bit takes focused, determined effort that starts in a couple of weeks.

Pointing out the progress isn’t pumping and pointing out the high & hard road ahead isn’t dumping.

One of the most lucid posts of the night. Thanks for the perspective.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
UVA played as well as they could yesterday, and probably wanted this game more. Not too surprised that they covered the spread, but at no time did I think we were in danger of losing. While it wasn't an impressive win, it was still a good win due to lots of offense, and it was a positive way to end the season.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
I would GAF about losing to UVA. Lots of teams lose bowl games where they are heavily favored and not mentally into it. We came close and thankfully won.

And give UVA some credit. Perkins threw some huge passes with our guys all over him and their WRs made catches with our guys all over them. They prepared well for a month played their hearts out.

As for Grantham, 2019 was a top 10 defense (#9) vs. a top 10 difficulty schedule. We clearly lack depth across the field and talent at safety and LB. so how do you account for that if Grantham is so bad?
We were lackluster, I hope part of it is practicing a lot of kids who are going to be needed next year.
I also give credit to UVA. They were an embarrassed team playing in the biggest bowl game in their history, they responded well. Their coaching staff did a fine job of game planning.
No wonder the Big 12 is an offensive league, the refs don't know what a holding call is.
I think Trask wasn't 100% or just had a bad game. I wish more creative plays were called for EJ including the forward pass.
We still have work to do to beat ugly.

BadowGator

The Chuckler
Sep 16, 2016
It’s so hard to know what to expect from bowl games of this significance and what players and even coaches (In our case) come 100%. It’s plausible to think Grantham is going elsewhere and cashed out. We are a FAR better D than what we put on the field last night. Any bowl game outside of the playoffs is a crapshoot.
I was never expecting to cover 14.5 though we should have and were the better team. I’m proud of an 11 win season and a NY6 game win in our own state. Happy for Perine and Mullen, the seniors and what the entire team overcame. I’m gonna miss a large portion of the guys leaving and what they did for us. GO GATORS.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
If you can’t see an improvement between those teams and Mullen’s team this year, especially on offense, then it looks like the rum has killed off the last of your brain cells capable of cognitive reasoning.
Nothing worse than a delusional :pumper:.........get with those in the know, no1. Smart money is on the "cousin eddie sucks" bandwagon.
The coaching in here is so much better than our 11-2 staff it is not even a debate. If Strickland ever read chatter he would kick himself for not making a run at what has to be the greatest football minds since Lombardi and Bear Bryant walked the side lines.......:harvey2:

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
The problem with the next 8 months is we can’t rely on a weekly victory to discount the chatter about how deficient our coaches and players are.

I can’t wait for the games to start again. The wins really take the edge off.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Dan Mullinz playcalling still looks like a Millenial trying to drive a stick shift and Grantham is what he has always been.

Thoroughly mediocre staff. We just out talent most inferior teams not named Kintucky.

I dont know what you guys think will change in future and why you think it will change.

How did our mediocre staff and mediocre roster win 10 games against a top-10 schedule and wind up in the top 10? How could we “out talent” anyone with our Butters-Mullinz FAU roster?

Woodstork

Dec 19, 2019
I wish more creative plays were called for EJ including the forward pass.
We still have work to do to beat ugly.

This. Was surprised we didn’t see more EJ, especially given the way Kyle was playing so flat and the fact that UVA obviously spent a month game-planning to disrupt Trask’s passing lanes. They sold out on this so much that our o-line looked like an SEC-caliber run blocking unit for the only time this season. Mendenhall coached for moral victory. Slowed us down, but did nothing to take control of the game. So, lack of more EJ was really my only source of relative disappointment from the game. Every time he was in it threw UVAs plan into disarray.

And yes, anyone looking for a sign that all of a sudden we have the interior dline, safeties, or inside linebackers currently on the roster to beat UGLY is rightly disappointed. Weak down the throat. That long play action pass UVA hit over Houston was an illustration. So was UVAs TD pass over Dean right after the TO.

2020 class is addressing some of this but doubt the needle moves until 2021 because those youngsters need time to grow. Sideways defense isn’t beating LSU or UGLY. Have to crush the pocket, make interior running frustrating, and have safeties that can read, react with range, and hit with abandon. Maybe have some horses for that in the 2020 class. Whiffed on ILB though unless Wingo really can become one.

Hard to interpret the o line. Looked improved and Pitts blocking was notable a couple times, but the ACC was pretty pathetic this year. UVAs front 7 would be middle of the pack SEC, or less. If the o line can gel in the running game, we stand a chance vs UGLY even if the D only slightly improves (make them punt 4 times instead of 2).

Based on over-interpretation of one bowl game, looks like 2020 will be a lot like 2019. Will be fun watching guys like Dexter and Wingo grow into their roles though.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
How did our mediocre staff and mediocre roster win 10 games against a top-10 schedule and wind up in the top 10? How could we “out talent” anyone with our Butters-Mullinz FAU roster?

well, I guess a misconception is the FAU roster,

Rivals Rankings
2015 - 23
2016 - 14
2017 - 9
2018 - 17
2019 - 8

If there is 130 teams, we should out talent most of the teams in the nation, regardless of coaching. Most the teams we play on an annual basis we should win on talent alone. UVA's top class in the same time span was 39, and had two classes in the 60's. So we should have won this exhibition game on talent alone. I know you are just itching for a stupid argument. But win you only play 2/3 games against teams with equal or better talent, and one of those teams has been in a coaching tire fire..... we should win 9/10 games just with our talent. That's not being a pumper/dumper.. that's just fcking logic.

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015

You're correct.. Trask will never take a meaningful snap at UF...

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.