***OFFICIAL BOWL GAME THREAD: UF vs Virginia***

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
UVA played as well as they could yesterday, and probably wanted this game more. Not too surprised that they covered the spread, but at no time did I think we were in danger of losing. While it wasn't an impressive win, it was still a good win due to lots of offense, and it was a positive way to end the season.
I agree totally we played at about 75% of our ability last night and UVA played at their best or close to it and we still won by two scores (I know it was an 8 point game at the end, but that was because of the garbage time TD in the last minute). Trask seemed to have no zip on the ball last night, not sure why but most of his passes were floated out to the receivers and was lucky to not have more than 1 intercepted.

Woodstork

Dec 19, 2019

The third article points out that “The 2019 Gators joined UF teams from 1993, '95, '96, 2006, '08, '09 and '12 as the only ones in UF history to win 11 games in a season.” 11 wins was more like 12 today though, so the 95, 96, 06, 08, and 09 teams were championship caliber rosters with well-established staffs. ‘12 was ‘smoking mirrors’ and a surprisingly painful team to watch. Muschamp was the most antithetical coach to Florida football branding, ever. Turned SOS Fun and Gun and Meyer ‘fastest team in the country’ into a tooth extraction.

But i digress... In 2019 I’m seeing progress, perhaps most like the promise shown by the program in the 1993 team.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I agree totally we played at about 75% of our ability last night and UVA played at their best or close to it and we still won by two scores (I know it was an 8 point game at the end, but that was because of the garbage time TD in the last minute). Trask seemed to have no zip on the ball last night, not sure why but most of his passes were floated out to the receivers and was lucky to not have more than 1 intercepted.

He was forced to throw off of his back foot several times due to the pressure. Hard to put zip on the ball without stepping into it. I also think their really tall defensive players contributed to the softer passes. The harder thrown balls are lower, thus easier to bat down. I think he was trying to arch the ball over them, removing some of that power.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Dan Mullinz playcalling still looks like a Millenial trying to drive a stick shift and Grantham is what he has always been.

Thoroughly mediocre staff. We just out talent most inferior teams not named Kintucky.

I dont know what you guys think will change in future and why you think it will change.
More lame than tired, or more tired than lame?

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
This. Was surprised we didn’t see more EJ, especially given the way Kyle was playing so flat and the fact that UVA obviously spent a month game-planning to disrupt Trask’s passing lanes. They sold out on this so much that our o-line looked like an SEC-caliber run blocking unit for the only time this season. Mendenhall coached for moral victory. Slowed us down, but did nothing to take control of the game. So, lack of more EJ was really my only source of relative disappointment from the game. Every time he was in it threw UVAs plan into disarray.

And yes, anyone looking for a sign that all of a sudden we have the interior dline, safeties, or inside linebackers currently on the roster to beat UGLY is rightly disappointed. Weak down the throat. That long play action pass UVA hit over Houston was an illustration. So was UVAs TD pass over Dean right after the TO.

2020 class is addressing some of this but doubt the needle moves until 2021 because those youngsters need time to grow. Sideways defense isn’t beating LSU or UGLY. Have to crush the pocket, make interior running frustrating, and have safeties that can read, react with range, and hit with abandon. Maybe have some horses for that in the 2020 class. Whiffed on ILB though unless Wingo really can become one.

Hard to interpret the o line. Looked improved and Pitts blocking was notable a couple times, but the ACC was pretty pathetic this year. UVAs front 7 would be middle of the pack SEC, or less. If the o line can gel in the running game, we stand a chance vs UGLY even if the D only slightly improves (make them punt 4 times instead of 2).

Based on over-interpretation of one bowl game, looks like 2020 will be a lot like 2019. Will be fun watching guys like Dexter and Wingo grow into their roles though.
I wanted a Tebow play where EJ receives the snap, runs to the line of scrimmage, stops on a dime, backs up and throws down field. They were selling out to stop the run when he was in.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I wanted a Tebow play where EJ receives the snap, runs to the line of scrimmage, stops on a dime, backs up and throws down field. They were selling out to stop the run when he was in.
Yes! In fact, I thought CDM had set it up for a fourth down, then changed his mind and put Trask back in.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Nah, most here wish things were better and understand there are systems that might work better or be more advanced. Major difference is we don’t pretend like Mullen just rolls out a football and lets the players win matchups all day or that every other staff in the country is better...

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Good point and I got tired of them cheering on VA and their so called academics. We are a premier academic institution. After all they are 28th, while we are number 8. And we are an all sports school, they are as far as I can tell are not.
You're mixing up your rankings: UVA is 28th for overall national universities; UF is 34th. For public schools, UVA is 4th, whereas UF is 7th (in a tie with UC-Santa Barbara). Also UVA is usually very good in several other sports, in particular baseball, lacrosse, and basketball. They are probably very similar, overall, to a Florida level athletic program; FWIW they won the Capital One Cup for Men's sports in '15 & '19. Football is another story; this was probably the best football season they've had in quite some time (and was their first victory over Va Tech in the last fifteen years).

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
You're mixing up your rankings: UVA is 28th for overall national universities; UF is 34th. For public schools, UVA is 4th, whereas UF is 7th (in a tie with UC-Santa Barbara). Also UVA is usually very good in several other sports, in particular baseball, lacrosse, and basketball. They are probably very similar, overall, to a Florida level athletic program; FWIW they won the Capital One Cup for Men's sports in '15 & '19. Football is another story; this was probably the best football season they've had in quite some time (and was their first victory over Va Tech in the last fifteen years).
UVAs basketball team is everything that’s wrong with any sport. No offense, all defense. It’s like Muschamp’s dream squad on steroids.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Good point. Whose rankings are you using? I place more emphasis on objective measures: research funding, SAT scores, etc. Anyone know those? Remember from half a century ago that an average UF physics student transferred to UVA. They were slow to accept him and we were highly offended saying that we had the obviously better department. UF seems to be forgetting that it is a public university while Mr. Jefferson's University was never aware that it was.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
What was made up? Wouldn’t even have to look too far back to find a post where you claim all Mullen does is win 1 on 1s because he can’t scheme.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator