***OFFICIAL BOWL GAME THREAD: UF vs Virginia***

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
So you are OK with the announcers being so biased? How about female sports? Thanks for the correction, I only searched quickly.
No to the first question. And UVa has good, though probably not great women’s programs. And, FWIW, I have hated UVA teams for as long as I can remember.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Good point. Whose rankings are you using? I place more emphasis on objective measures: research funding, SAT scores, etc. Anyone know those? Remember from half a century ago that an average UF physics student transferred to UVA. They were slow to accept him and we were highly offended saying that we had the obviously better department. UF seems to be forgetting that it is a public university while Mr. Jefferson's University was never aware that it was.
From UF campus:
C8911216-BCCE-4CBD-B0C1-89383DBCF333.jpeg

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Fire Rescue.
547fc45c394aaf7b93ce4ce8bf8ca8bc.gif

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
Regardless of any chin music. It was a fantastic way to end a season that exceeded expectations. We are not there yet but man we are on the right track. Facilities and better recruiting are critical. With our schedule next year we should be in the top 8 again.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
2017 = 4-7
2018 = 10-3
2019 = 11-2

Yeah, I don’t analyze schemes well. I don’t know Mullen personally...and as a fan I do sometimes question his calls... But it’s pretty clear the guy is doing a helluva job thus far. Would you agree or no?

Hell of a job taking 10 win talent and letting them be 10 win talent? It shows how bad our staff was in 2017, either you believe that the coaching was absolutely horrible to only get 4 wins, or they were coaching at the level of the talent and did a great job...… Now that's not saying Mullen has been bad, I think he has been good, but this comparison is just invalid.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If your average recruiting ranking is 14, you play a top 10 difficulty schedule and you wind up ranked 6th or better, you’re punching above your weight.

If you’d been on a 10-year decline and get 2 consecutive top 10 finishes, you’re improving.

That’s logic.

Mullen gets it:

How many teams annually have equal or better talent that we play against. Oh we play a top 10 schedule based on the expectations of the other teams. Other than LSU, FSU, and UGA whom on our schedule has averaged better recruiting classes? You are taken a ranking based on numbers that don't take a real look at the quality of opponent to give your bias confirmation... You did the same for Butters, so it's not a shock from you. If given an average coach you should be able to win on talent (not saying Mullen is average).

We play Missouri, Kentucky, Vandy, USCe, two/three jobbers (towson, UT-Martin this year) schools a year... that should be 6 wins

Tennessee used to be able to pull talent and coaching... but there is a reason they are in flux for a decade so another win.

that makes the total 7.

A rotational SEC West opponent that outside of Auburn and Alabama should be a win due to difference in talent.

This year we got Auburn who had a quarterback that played like crap when away/neutral site game (just look at the stats)

That is 8 games right there... Now we got a really bad Miami team this year we aren't going to get every year and a garbage pile of an FSU team.

So really the last two years Mullen's X's and O's were the difference in two of our opponents LSU and UGA and we are a combined 1-3 in those games. Though I would say last year Mullen outcoached the other side in the UGA game, cannot say that this year.

So being that especially next year we have 9 games that we have better talent than the competition, one game where the coaching staff will be in their first year (FSU), and two games where talent of our opponent is equal or better than ours (where scheme is most important). What should our expectation be because I'm sure it will be another "top 10" schedule.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
We lost to Miami of Ohio in the some kind of fruit bowl in Orlando.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
How many teams annually have equal or better talent that we play against. Oh we play a top 10 schedule based on the expectations of the other teams. Other than LSU, FSU, and UGA whom on our schedule has averaged better recruiting classes? You are taken a ranking based on numbers that don't take a real look at the quality of opponent to give your bias confirmation... You did the same for Butters, so it's not a shock from you. If given an average coach you should be able to win on talent (not saying Mullen is average).

We play Missouri, Kentucky, Vandy, USCe, two/three jobbers (towson, UT-Martin this year) schools a year... that should be 6 wins

Tennessee used to be able to pull talent and coaching... but there is a reason they are in flux for a decade so another win.

that makes the total 7.

A rotational SEC West opponent that outside of Auburn and Alabama should be a win due to difference in talent.

This year we got Auburn who had a quarterback that played like crap when away/neutral site game (just look at the stats)

That is 8 games right there... Now we got a really bad Miami team this year we aren't going to get every year and a garbage pile of an FSU team.

So really the last two years Mullen's X's and O's were the difference in two of our opponents LSU and UGA and we are a combined 1-3 in those games. Though I would say last year Mullen outcoached the other side in the UGA game, cannot say that this year.

So being that especially next year we have 9 games that we have better talent than the competition, one game where the coaching staff will be in their first year (FSU), and two games where talent of our opponent is equal or better than ours (where scheme is most important). What should our expectation be because I'm sure it will be another "top 10" schedule.
Just want to say the "top ten" schedule means something. Yes, looked at on game by game comparison, we should always win 7, 8 or even 9 a year base on talent differential. However, the grind associated with playing SEC caliber teams week in and week out takes a toll. If it were not so, Alabama would not have lost to Auburn, Georgia would not have lost to USCe, and we would have never have lost to Kentucky or Vanderbilt. Teams like Clemson, in a conference where every game is not at risk can rest players, try schemes under game day conditions and take a chance on out the box play. SEC teams can't.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

that makes the total 7.

The “top 10” schedule isn’t based on my opinion. It’s across the board by everyone of any significance who calculates those stats - and they aren’t all using the same methods and assumptions. It’s top 10 based on records at the END of the season, not preseason projections.

We lost our starting QB and won 11 games with a guy who hadn’t started and barely even played since 9th grade.

We lost to LSU and UGA primarily because they had excellent OLs and ours was barely functional as pass blockers. And we lost our top DEs on the first play at LSU. That’s not bad scheme. If anything, Mullen schemed us into hanging tough late against 2 of the top 4-5 teams in the country.

I’m not suggesting we’re there yet but we are way closer than we were 2 years ago.

But don’t listen to me.

Why I believe Dan Mullen is a top 5 coach in college football right now

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Just wow. So much cogitating given to a sloppy game we won ... and could have won many times over.
I will say that our DBackfield is terrible. They allowed wide-open WRs the whole game after training for a whole year. Fire their coach.

Next year, I surely do not want to see such a defensive slackfield. Best way to fix it = new DB coach.
We don't know, but Trask could turn into an effective Mullin runner? Malik Davis and Pierce could turn into an effective running attack.?
I prefer to see the likelihood that we play entertaining football next year... and that new star players emerge.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I will say that our DBackfield is terrible. They allowed wide-open WRs the whole game after training for a whole year. Fire their coach.

Just so long as you're referring to English. Gray is a proven CB coach. Not sure why the CBs not named Elam were struggling. Btw, we didn't have CJ out there. A few freshmen rotating...

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

that makes the total 7.

You know, if there was a simple straight forward formula like you promote, everyone including you would be an "expert" predictor of wins and losses but the evidence proves you are wrong on your assumptions. That's why the games are played. Just curious, what is your record in the pickem game? (125/329) wow!

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
It's great that we earned that ranking, but it's kind of funny to see a banner bragging, "We're Number 7!" I think I'd prefer a more generic, "Top Ten in Public Universities." Then you don't have to reprint them next year when we advance to number 6. Or God forbid, drop to number 8.
How much more liberal does that make us?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You know, if there was a simple straight forward formula like you promote, everyone including you would be an "expert" predictor of wins and losses but the evidence proves you are wrong on your assumptions. That's why the games are played. Just curious, what is your record in the pickem game? (125/329) wow!

So I get paid a top 10 salary to pick games, then I guess I should have played it every week so your lack of intellect would be able to actually have an argument.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So I get paid a top 10 salary to pick games, then I guess I should have played it every week so your lack of intellect would be able to actually have an argument.

Snappy come back!

You seem out of sorts, Try Midol......

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The “top 10” schedule isn’t based on my opinion. It’s across the board by everyone of any significance who calculates those stats - and they aren’t all using the same methods and assumptions. It’s top 10 based on records at the END of the season, not preseason projections.

We lost our starting QB and won 11 games with a guy who hadn’t started and barely even played since 9th grade.

We lost to LSU and UGA primarily because they had excellent OLs and ours was barely functional as pass blockers. And we lost our top DEs on the first play at LSU. That’s not bad scheme. If anything, Mullen schemed us into hanging tough late against 2 of the top 4-5 teams in the country.

I’m not suggesting we’re there yet but we are way closer than we were 2 years ago.

But don’t listen to me.

Why I believe Dan Mullen is a top 5 coach in college football right now
I don't listen to you or to fluff piece written as fluff pieces you said similar schit about butters. Also in doing a quick search on Google we are ranked from 10th to 35th (all made after Dec 8th) dependent on criteria. I am not suggesting that our schedule isn't more difficult than most, just it's the wrong judge to go bye. You play your talent vs there's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.