***OFFICIAL COTTON BOWL GAME THREAD: UF vs Oklahoma***; Houston talks trash

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If he plays the entire game:

4 sacks for -48 yards, 1 fumble, 3 ints w/2 for scores and 10 drops.

25/40 -2 ints 193 yards - 1 TD.

"he" being Driscoll

I know you weren't serious, but you called Trask having a bad game. I hate that you're correct, and I'm sure you do too. I feel bad for Trask. Got very little help from his receivers and coaches. The back-to-back QB keepers in the red zone was infuriating. And so many drops. I don't think this game will hurt his draft stock too much, but it would have been nice if his coaches and teammates wanted a win as much as he did.

Anyway, this game was an embarrassment. Mullen will pile on the excuses as usual, but what a crappy way to end what once looked like a special season. Major changes need to happen this off-season through coaching changes and the transfer portal or else our 2021 team will look a lot like a typical year for the vols.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I know you weren't serious, but you called Trask having a bad game. I hate that you're correct, and I'm sure you do too. I feel bad for Trask. Got very little help from his receivers and coaches. The back-to-back QB keepers in the red zone was infuriating. And so many drops. I don't think this game will hurt his draft stock too much, but it would have been nice if his coaches and teammates wanted a win as much as he did.

Anyway, this game was an embarrassment. Mullen will pile on the excuses as usual, but what a crappy way to end what once looked like a special season. Major changes need to happen this off-season through coaching changes and the transfer portal or else our 2021 team will look a lot like a typical year for the vols.
I was serious ... I just put Driscoll at the bottom to CMA.

I stopped watching after the second throw (int for a TD). Receiver needed to come back for the ball but didn't.

They should not have played Trask.

Second string QB should have started and played the entire game with the second string receivers. Their timing would have (or could have been better?). At the very least, saved Trask the embarrassment.

Looking at the box score it appears we ran for a decent amount of yards (for this team).

Glad I turned it off.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
What weapons would you be referring too? Grimes, Pitts or Copeland. All are out and I would be surprised if more don't opt out.
It does not mean scoring 40+ points but a good coach can manufacture some semblance of an offense. I have seen a lot of teams with a good O-Line and shyt everywhere else have a decent offense and vice versa.
You that Mr.2bits that that gave me a face palm can STFU now I do believe.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Like Sofla, I don't care what he did at MSU.

CDM lost 2 last year and 4 this year.

You're being typically negative and throwing your toys around the living room. Stop it.

That is the way and I have spoken.
If your cardiologist was 98 and 56 at the Mayo clinic would you care about that before he cracked your chest open at Shands?

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
If your cardiologist was 98 and 56 at the Mayo clinic would you care about that before he cracked your chest open at Shands?

If he had killed his first 56 and then saved the lives of his next 98 patients, I'd let him operate.

Numbers are funny that way.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Ok, so a few days before the game my BIL calls to inform my wife that he's in on another parlay bet. The two earlier this season he won up to the last game, one of those to the last play (some NFL game that came up a yard or a point short). He's been close, but hasn't closed. He had another going, and had one the first 3 of 4, with the last being the OU-UF game where he took the over at 72pts. This was before we informed him out top 4 receivers were out....and then we learned the defense was missing 4 as well but figured that wasn't going to really hurt an already awful defense much in the big picture. In fact, it got us looking for anything good about the bowl game going in, and maybe OU could score all 73pts on their own.

Then the game began. First INT on Trask from what my non-football eyes told me. Second was on the receiver, and third appeared again on Trask. Down 17-0 in the first 8 minutes with 3 INTs. :sigh: Did I mention my wife (big Gator fan, big NCAAF fan in general) insisted our son join us to watch the game? Or that my son has a problem running his mouth non-stop at the oddest times? Yeah, it was one of those times. Before we could score the FG I had left the room so I wouldn't verbally destroy my son and his innocence. It wasn't his fault. I blame his mother, as early in the relationship her 'jabber jaw' was cute and amusing. Nearly 30y later, not so much. Even less so coming from her son. Kid is smart, knows a lot about football, was calling plays and questioning Dan in the SECCG, so he knows what he's talking about generally. But that didn't help the situation.

I retreated to the bedroom to watch on mute and flip between the football game and the basketball game. I could ride the small glimmer of hope as we clawed back a bit without really believing it could last, and I could quickly flip to MW whenever things went to sht. I watched a lot of the bball game. For the football game, a few takeaways:

• Stiner abused on every play of the opening drive. Please tell me he isn't coming back.
  • Gamble appeared to drop at least 6-7 passes. Maybe he wasn't ready for the pressure of filling in for Pitts, but we did decent for the two games Pitts missed earlier so I dunno what was up there. It definitely hurt.
  • Dan calling not one, but TWO qb keepers with Trask early in the game has defined Mullen's offense for me. I've fought it all this time, and as much as I want to say 'there wasn't enough space for Trask to make a decent pass and the rec'rs have shown ineptitude'....f that, Mullen's play calling sucked.
  • As noted earlier, too many numbers (and names) I didn't recognize. Trying to look up the roster during the game, and repeatedly asking out loud WHO-T-F is THAT?
  • RB was the only decent position (nod to N. Wright, and later Pierce-Davis), but it was spotty at best (glaring look to the OL).
  • Emory got to do a little more, when he wasn't throwing up. That gave me a little hope. AR gave me a little hope. I shouldn't be watching my team getting skullfkd* on national tv in a big bowl game and trying to find a little hope.

Wife tried to start one of those "If we had the other players...." and I shut her right up. We don't have them, end of story, don't play the IF game with me. Not here, not now. OF the players who made the trip, none appeared truly ready. *Skullfkd is a term I've never really cared for. Usually it's in sports, a friend used it in reference to a blowjob once and it's forever skewed my grasp and handling of that term. However, in the sports sense, I truly understood what it meant and it totally fit the situation for the entirety of the game. SKULLFKD! Yes, that's what OU did to our entire team, our program for 60min. Coaches are responsible for that, for nobody being ready and for embarrassing Gator Nation like that. Blame the players again and I'll load another bullet everytime you to, Dan. YOU hired the staff that recruited them. YOU and YOUR staff failed to develop them, failed to have them prepared. YOU failed the kids, and the fans. If you want to point to opt-outs, thats again on YOU failing to build a culture of accountability (witnessed repeatedly, and most glaringly by making that dip**** a captain in the SECCG after he threw the shoe against LSU). YOU, Dan, are not meeting 'the Gator Standard'.

I'll try to support my team next year, IF he makes significant changes to your staff (read that as GRANTHAM et al). And if you fail to grow as an offensive coach with your play calling, then fk YOU and your dog.

Meanwhile, I actually enjoyed the basketball game. Yes, it was against perennial cellar dweller Vandy, but our boys were playing fast and loose on offense, it was honestly FUN to watch. Defensively, it was getting back to the pressure that MW was supposed to have. Both ends of the court were more energetic, and more TEAM play than we'd seen all of last season. I thought I read he slowed it down last season in order to maximize playing time with the Grad transfer (maybe Nembhard as well), but with those guys not there this team was FUN to watch. Tell me again 'it was Vaaaannndyyyy' and I will tell you I don't care. It was a helluva lot more fun that the bowl game. Players gave a sht and played their hearts out, winning big. I'll take that every day.

PS - we spent the last 20-25min of the bowl game (wife and I, as the kid had been released for his safety) cheering and high fiving, figuring out how if we got that last TD and if OU didn't let up, our BIL would win. He did. $800!! Now to see if any of that comes our way.

PPS - loved how the 4th quarter was spent talking about any game but ours by the announcers. Even sideline wench was talking about any other game but ours. Gawd we sucked.

Last edited:

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@jasonkersey: #Sooners coach Lincoln Riley on Dan Mullen’s post-Cotton Bowl comments: “To each his own. I think that's pretty easy to say after the fact and after what happened. I do have feelings on it, but I just don't know what I have to gain, really, with sharing those, honestly."

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
@jasonkersey: #Sooners coach Lincoln Riley on Dan Mullen’s post-Cotton Bowl comments: “To each his own. I think that's pretty easy to say after the fact and after what happened. I do have feelings on it, but I just don't know what I have to gain, really, with sharing those, honestly."
Passive aggressive Beotch Slap!!!
Love it!!!!!

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
good for him, not only was it a slap in the face to our team and fanbase, but it was classless and disrespectful to oklahoma's players and coaches. Mullen is a child.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator