Gator Basketball ***Official Game Thread BBALL*** Florida at Georgia

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
I like the way these Gators are playing. A little team chemistry for a change. They are playing much better on both sides of the ball.

If the Gators can keep their heads in it, we could have some good things happen down the road. Passing to someone who's not looking for the ball is a serious lack of concentration. I don't know how a player at this level cannot expect a ball to be thrown their way.

We are finally scoring in the paint. Living and dying by the 3pt, is like falling on a sword, so seeing a few layups is outstanding. With a little better ball handling and inside scoring, the Gators will have more open 3pt'rs.

Now that vandy is playing better (they are on a roll at 0-5), the Gators can't afford a let-down before the big 12 challenge next Saturday.

Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Great point about Scottie returning.
Sometimes less is more and a player returning can be a negative since the current guys are enjoying their expanded roles.

When he first went out I thought it was going to be a disaster but it has been a positive in the short term at least

It's possible the "gel-pack" of this winning team is solid enough to "retrain" Scotty to fit right in. He's athletically versatile enough to follow suit.? We can sure use his added skills. Ticks me off that the NBA doesn't leave them long enough to develop college teamwork.

Last edited:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I usually save my sports rants for the defense of our teams but like g8tr76 said we have seen a change in the team. WIthout Keyonte they certainly had to regroup but I LOVED the way the kid stayed so engaged with the team. When scottie went out I was like HOLY SHTTT our wildcard. But I think the team, at times , were caught up in watching him, waiting to see something spectacular . The other night when castle was on the bench I said NOFPHKNWAY. But Payne became the man inside. The chemistry on this team is the best any White team has had in my memory. Mann is world's better. The other guards are all playing within a team concept and much less one on one. And looking to pass on those moves. Castle may be the best inside player we have had in over a decade or more. There is no i in this team. They are playing better defense and embracing roles. He is also playing almost 10 players each game which has to be great for morale. IT is two games, I know, but I like much of what Im seeing in all phases of the games. One other thing is we are getting great looks at the baskets with more drives to the paint and less jacking it up from three. Chemistry. Who knew our basketball team would embrace "hard science" to find success?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Best to advise them to start "on guard" not to fall behind, to jump out front right away.
Sure way is to get the ball inside where the 60%+ shooters are = Payne & Castleton.? or Mann & Applebee drive quick and hard. Just Go Gators, don't let up -- don't let White slow it down.
Keep Keyontae's spirit-style operating.

Last edited:

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Best to advise them to start "on guard" not to fall behind, to jump out front right away.
Sure way is to get the ball inside where the 60%+ shooters are = Payne & Castleton.? or Mann & Applebee drive quick and hard. Just Go Gators, don't let up -- don't let White slow it down.
Keep Keyontae's spirit-style operating.

He has no desire to slow it down. Despite all the challenges we’ve kept fairly good pace and tempo. What MW appears to have improved is not letting up too early. In the past he took his foot off the gas with an 8 point lead and 10 minutes left on the clock. That’s not a big enough lead and way too early. Yesterday we had double digit leads and ran clock around 5-6 minutes very effectively. We kept in control the entire way.

I loved some of the defensive aggressiveness yesterday but we did get lazy and caught out of position multiple times down the stretch. That has to be fixed. Also got caught not getting back several times.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I think Scottie will be fine when he returns. He doesn’t dominate the ball. He plays off the ball. He will fit right back in and makes us better. Some minutes will be redistributed but these guys don’t appear to get too upset over that.

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
I loved some of the defensive aggressiveness yesterday but we did get lazy and caught out of position multiple times down the stretch. That has to be fixed. Also got caught not getting back several times.

Great point! If the team continues to play like this, we need to learn to never take the foot off the gas.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It's gotta be more energizing to go with the "up-flow" than to tone it down.? I actually think our guys score more accurately when they do not take much time to think on it - just get it up and get put-backs ... so far, so good, lately?

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is a great example of why we should get solidly behind coach White! Now who’s with me? Let’s go!!

HiddenUnconsciousClam-small.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator