Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Over My Head Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

:lol:

My bad
I’m so used to young people not knowing the proper context of things that I assume too much.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
We lost. Again. Gonna likely end up with only the 2nd losing season since 1997(!)

Golden gets a big fat F for this season

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We lost. Again. Gonna likely end up with only the 2nd losing season since 1997(!)

Not sure what he can do.......... Can't coach "not to get injured"...... but I agree, we were not very good before Castle... got hurt.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure what he can do.......... Can't coach "not to get injured"...... but I agree, we were not very good before Castle... got hurt.

We’ve got much more talent than 14-15, however this team doesn’t have a super high ceiling due to roster mismanagement. Starting Jit (cuz he’s your backup 5 which is a failure) and Jones is an indictment. We need to see more Felder and Lane

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

This is why I end up beating the dead horse when we miss on major recruiting targets. When we missed on Broome and Roberts,guys that had us in their top 2 , our season was over. We're a top 10 team with those 2 guys and bottom feeders without. Same can be said with football. There's probably 3 or 4 guys that are difference makers. Harold Perkins comes to mind as probably the difference in the lsu game. We have to start hitting on some of our top targets

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Legendary suckitude.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
agree with @Jay26

Kugel is the best talent on the team. But we need much more talent.

This is why I end up beating the dead horse when we miss on major recruiting targets. When we missed on Broome and Roberts,guys that had us in their top 2 , our season was over. We're a top 10 team with those 2 guys and bottom feeders without. Same can be said with football. There's probably 3 or 4 guys that are difference makers. Harold Perkins comes to mind as probably the difference in the lsu game. We have to start hitting on some of our top targets

But I’m not sold on Golden as a recruiter. I’m not as down on him as an in game coach as some are. The players he has SUCK.

White was a really solid recruiter. But a terrible developer of talent. It was crazy how many players came here and went backwards.

It almost looks like our bb team is following the football blue print.

Chump = White
Butters = Golden

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
All the project potential coaching hires is getting as old as most of the board.

Why hire a proven winner like Tony Bennett or Rick Pitino when you can take a swing on an unproven guy who loses 12+ games a year on average? Don’t be silly.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Why hire a proven winner like Tony Bennett or Rick Pitino when you can take a swing on an unproven guy who loses 12+ games a year on average? Don’t be silly.

Exactly.

As I have said many times, UF continues to use the same hiring profile for coaches that they used when Donovan was hired even though the program status and expectations have changed significantly.

It’s early in his tenure so I am hopeful that he will turn it around but if not, we can look forward to another identical profile coach to take his place.

Nothing changes until the administration changes.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
So this whole Castleton got hurt disclaimer......we weren't good when he was healthy and yes now we are worse. That's what happens when your top player gets hurt AND your coach is looking at a fking spread sheet.

Last edited:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
agree with @Jay26

Kugel is the best talent on the team. But we need much more talent.

But I’m not sold on Golden as a recruiter. I’m not as down on him as an in game coach as some are. The players he has SUCK.

White was a really solid recruiter. But a terrible developer of talent. It was crazy how many players came here and went backwards.

It almost looks like our bb team is following the football blue print.

Chump = White
Butters = Golden
I with you. My biggest worry is recruiting aswell for golden. But white didn't really pick up any steam recruiting wise until his 3rd year. He was just gift wrapped a talented roster left by Billy . Golden had to replace the whole roster with the portal and still got kugel and richards. Nothing really in this 23' class but white didn't get any decent players in his bump class either. I'm gonna wait and see what happens in the portal this spring and see what he gets lined up for the 24' class. I think he's a good on the court too, but I think it's a touch early to say he's a butters level recruiter. Even though that could very well be the case .

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I with you. My biggest worry is recruiting aswell for golden. But white didn't really pick up any steam recruiting wise until his 3rd year. He was just gift wrapped a talented roster left by Billy . Golden had to replace the whole roster with the portal and still got kugel and richards. Nothing really in this 23' class but white didn't get any decent players in his bump class either. I'm gonna wait and see what happens in the portal this spring and see what he gets lined up for the 24' class. I think he's a good on the court too, but I think it's a touch early to say he's a butters level recruiter. Even though that could very well be the case .
He’s gonna be here for at least four years. So he’s gonna have plenty of time.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
He’s gonna be here for at least four years. So he’s gonna have plenty of time.
I could see the plug getting pulled next year if we're terrible again and there's little traction with 24 and 25 kids. I imagine the heat will turn up quite a bit in that scenario.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I watched the second half and was shocked how how awful the team is defensively. And what I speak of has really nothing to do with Castleton being out. Sure the average person will say well the paint and rim protector is out. Well that has nothing to do with not knowing how to play off the ball screens when playing against a good good 3 point shooting team or a particular player. Watching them circle to get to a wide open shooter was laughable. Yes Kugel is probably the best all around player but he is super lazy on defense. as are most of the guys. And why Golden Shower plays either of his so called 5's is mind boggling. They are huge liabilities on defense and do not do enough elsewhere to warrant time. Given the current roster, playing 3, 5, 14, 24 and 4 is enough size to play against most teams. They would be more athletic and could extend the floor on defense. Now that will not clean up them being fundamentally poor on defense, but would allow for much more ball pressure. Offensively, if the same guys would understand what their strengths are, they might be more effective. 3, 14, and 4 should all be going to the basket, playing forwardly and getting the garbage. But yet 3 and 14 are jacking up 30 foot off balance shots. The team is truly unaware of what they are and what they are good at, but that comes from the top.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I watched the second half and was shocked how how awful the team is defensively. And what I speak of has really nothing to do with Castleton being out. Sure the average person will say well the paint and rim protector is out. Well that has nothing to do with not knowing how to play off the ball screens when playing against a good good 3 point shooting team or a particular player. Watching them circle to get to a wide open shooter was laughable. Yes Kugel is probably the best all around player but he is super lazy on defense. as are most of the guys. And why Golden Shower plays either of his so called 5's is mind boggling. They are huge liabilities on defense and do not do enough elsewhere to warrant time. Given the current roster, playing 3, 5, 14, 24 and 4 is enough size to play against most teams. They would be more athletic and could extend the floor on defense. Now that will not clean up them being fundamentally poor on defense, but would allow for much more ball pressure. Offensively, if the same guys would understand what their strengths are, they might be more effective. 3, 14, and 4 should all be going to the basket, playing forwardly and getting the garbage. But yet 3 and 14 are jacking up 30 foot off balance shots. The team is truly unaware of what they are and what they are good at, but that comes from the top.

Honestly, I have been so disappointed in this team that I haven’t even paid attention to jersey numbers.
I will need to study a roster before I can review your post.
I will say this beforehand. This team appears to place little to no value on the possession of the basketball instead they seem to treat the ball like it’s poison and must be removed as quickly as possible.

The Kentucky game was a perfect example. UF was tied with Kentucky for a good portion of the second half until nearly every player decided to see how quickly they could take a bad shot. A couple minutes later they find themselves down 9-10 points and the game is over at the under 8 minutes timeout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator