Gator Basketball ***Official Game Thread BBALL***Florida @ Auburn

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
When M1 has thrown in the towel… turn the lights out, shut the door. It’s over.

I thought the same thing.

Marine1 was one of the people I referred to as the group that continues to defend CMW.
If in fact he has turned then that’s a good sign that the problem is now obvious and unavoidable.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Marine1 was one of the people I referred to as the group that continues to defend CMW.
If in fact he has turned then that’s a good sign that the problem is now obvious and unavoidable.
We'll continue to hear...
"He has to stay because of the incoming class"
"The locker room was the problem"
"There were cancers on the team"
"Wait till Mike has his players"
Then they'll be graduations and more transfers out of the program.
Rinse and repeat every year.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015

You may have said it but certainly cannot defend it. Truth is I have rarely if ever defended MW and have been highly critical of his player assessment skill for years.

What I have done consistently is stay out of fire MW firefights until it is an actual possibility. I said repeatedly in the past there was zero chance of him being terminated. Last year I restated it but did say this year would be the first legitimate chance it might happen….. and it will in my opinion.

Not sure there has been anyone on this board who has “defended” the coach in at least 4 or 5 years. Many acknowledge he is a nice guy but nobody is calling him a great coach.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
This will be MW’s last year.

Team fought hard to stay in it last night but typically fell short. Odd rotation last night. I didn’t watch the whole game last night but I don’t understand why Felder and Jitoboh minutes fell way down after showing good improvement recently. It wasn’t foul trouble so unless there was some injury I don’t get it.

And as I have said since game one….we are poor, inconsistent shooters from 3 and weak ball handlers. It’s time to turn off the green light and force these guys to attack.
Jitoboh is slightly better than terrible. With lots of conditioning and hard work he is finally playing up to his 2 star rating he had coming in. He's unfortunately playing against 4 star talent. He has improved but it would be impossible not to, considering from where he started. He simply doesn't belong in P5. The lack of a quality second big man is definitely one of this teams numerous shortfalls.

Concerning last night, it was actually a pretty good showing on the road against what looks like a top 5 team. Team showed grit and were pulling closer most of the second half. Unfortunately FT shooting, a couple of the most blatant no calls I've seen in a long time, and some miraculous way outside 3's by barn sealed our fate.

Season isn't over yet but it's close ane we really need some conference wins now before the wheels fall off completely.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Not sure there has been anyone on this board who has “defended” the coach in at least 4 or 5 years. Many acknowledge he is a nice guy but nobody is calling him a great coach.
CMW got so lucky that Cheese sent him to the Elite8 in his second season, using Donovan's players and their ingrained habits of winning, of course. Since then, he's done nothing but underachieve. The announcers love to Mike White nutswing. They love to point out that he is only SEC coach to go to the Tourney 4 of last 5 times and win one game. Big whoop. That just means that we are about the 30th best team in the country year after year. As average as you can get. Bare minimum success... It's like celebrating SEC East Champs in Football. Any Ol' MacElwain, Mullen or Muschamp can pull that off with UF caliber talent. It's Long past time to Fire Mike White. I don't know how he keeps getting these awesome recruiting classes. He certainly underachieves considering. Medium Talent.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not on-board about praising White's talent-collecting skills. We never have any sharpshooters for 2s or 3s. White develops "rim-clang shooters", even on layups & slam attempts. Disgusting as head of any basketball program. What SEC coach would you put lesser than Mike White.? Until Mike White is canceled, cancel the basketball program.

Last edited:

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
CMW got so lucky that Cheese sent him to the Elite8 in his second season, using Donovan's players and their ingrained habits of winning, of course. Since then, he's done nothing but underachieve. The announcers love to Mike White nutswing. They love to point out that he is only SEC coach to go to the Tourney 4 of last 5 times and win one game. Big whoop. That just means that we are about the 30th best team in the country year after year. As average as you can get. Bare minimum success... It's like celebrating SEC East Champs in Football. Any Ol' MacElwain, Mullen or Muschamp can pull that off with UF caliber talent. It's Long past time to Fire Mike White. I don't know how he keeps getting these awesome recruiting classes. He certainly underachieves considering. Medium Talent.
Getting to the tourney is definitely valid and a point in the keep MW column, but the inconsistency is what I cant tolerate anymore. In a normal situation, getting to the tourney would be coupled with a steady climb, competing every game, being in the convo for conference title, etc. With his teams, the swings are crazy, beat OSU, get crushed by a winless low level school at home, not pushing for a conference title but in the second group after the big dogs, just enough to get to the tourney but somehow you still feel underwhelmed. The time is now.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
just enough to get to the tourney

Just enough bumbling luck to squeeze into the tournament by surprise ... that's a bit of a creditless route.?
Did UF fans truly feel good about those teams for multiple games.? Did we hold our own against the upper half of the SEC.? That's the ay I enjoy our seasons. How many seasons have slopped by without us fans "feeling proud".? Feeling like we have to steal our wins at the end of the season.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
He’s simply not an elite coach and UF deserves an elite coach.

SOS and Billy demonstrated it can be done and there is no excuse not to maintain the standard.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I yearn for UF to start getting an adept 7 footer now & then. FSU has had 3 7-footers at the same time. We get none 'cause of wee Mike White. How effective would Castleton be if he had a competent "big' teammate near the basket.? Castleton is a highly competent "inside man" that needs a helpful big sidekick. No reason Mike White did not provide one as part of his adequate coach-plan. Go out and get what's needed. Insist on that kind of lineup ... or don't coach in the SEC.! Remember all the starter stars UF had under Donovan ... and then he added Richards, Moss, and others. White is not a good recruiter. He cannot get competent starters and certainly not any helpful backups. What use bragging on MW's defense guru-ness, when putting the ball in the basket falls by the wayside.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Paging Stevens, Brad. Paging Stevens, Brad. Cleanup on aisles 1-5 at the outdated O'Dome, the only place where they shrunk capacity b/c the place was empty only to have fewer fans show up after they took seats away. Potential for long term employment available just by showing a pulse.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The wheels are most certainly about to come off. The next 3 games are at home vs #21 LSU, then @SC and then at home vs 10-4 MSU, so we would start off at 0-5 in conference play. Then looking at the rest of the schedule its looking like we will finish off at 4-14 in SEC play. Its looking THAT BAD and its really looking like and has the feel of the Mullen situation where Strick goes ahead and pulls the trigger to let MW go. I said it early on after we lost to UGA in football that I thought Mullen would be gone and it was certainly a DONE DEAL. I had said 3 years ago that we should make a run at Brad Stevens and I was laughed at so we will see. Who would you like to replace MW?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Brad Steven’s isn’t leaving an executive position in the NBA to come to Gainesville to coach the Gators. Some of of you are taking some serious drugs…or need to be.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
Not since the first season of Gator basketball in the ODome (1980-81) has a UF team began the SEC schedule 0-3. Even the putrid 81-82 team that finished the season 5-22 didn't start 0-3 in the SEC.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
News flash, White: you're supposed to be teaching. Your pupils are failing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator