Gator Basketball Florida whips Florida Gulf Coast

Gator97

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Just got back from the game. Lots to like. Thinks that was Nembhard’s worst game, but he’ll be alright longer term.
Feel similar to stokes. Waiting for a nasty streak to show up, because I think he has the tools and strength to own the paint if it does.
Locke is clearly coming into his own and think Johnson will be a player. Hopefully This was the boost Jalen needs to get his groove back. We may be up and down this year, but I bet we have at least a couple of games where it clicks for several guys and we surprise some people.

Musclepug

never go full retard
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2018
Florida wins 77-56. Lots of positives. White even took an unneeded technical foul coming out of a timeout (on purpose is my guess). We shot the ball with more confidence and in the 2nd half got inside against the zone some

Just got back from the game too, can someone please explain the coaches technical foul. When it happened it made no sense in the sequence of the game

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Just think if we can get Hudson, Locke AND Allen all playing well. We’ve got the players to have a really good season, just need White to put it together.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Need to revenge the loss to Butler at home next week to keep the positive momentum going. Then the SEC schedule actually shapes up pretty nice at the beginning and we should go 7-2 through the first nine games (TCU game included), 6-3 at worst; but then we get the trio of KY, Barn and Toothless - that's a tough three game stretch, but need to get at least one of those. If we're sitting at 14-8, with 8 games to go and can win 6 of those, we're dancing baby. :pumper:
:bananadance:

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gators defense really playing at a very high level. We limited FGC to 56 points when they average 75. COACHING. They also shoot 37% from 3 point range but only managed 14% against us. COACHING. We were able to turn up the pressure and force 22 turnovers which lead to 34 points. COACHING. Great job by White and company to get this team ready for a high powered offense. Go Gators!!

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
LOL... we just beat FGCU which was 5-8 and now 5-9 and you all act like this is a big win, a quality win for the coach, the players and the team. Like things are coming around and we could be deadly. :lol:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It's true FGC seems a very poor team to measure by. Still, even the better teams we face shouldn't be able to diminish Locke's putting it through the bucket. Question is : can Hayes be as effective at scoring going forward into more than just this one game? IMO the good Hayes and the good Locke may determine the personality of this team. We need Stokes to develop as an inside presence. It seemed like Nembhard had his 1st worst game. Is the yo-yo pattern of this team done? That's the real question we repeatedly have had to face.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Gators defense really playing at a very high level. We limited FGC to 56 points when they average 75. COACHING. They also shoot 37% from 3 point range but only managed 14% against us. COACHING. We were able to turn up the pressure and force 22 turnovers which lead to 34 points. COACHING. Great job by White and company to get this team ready for a high powered offense. Go Gators!!
They beat a D2 school (Keiser) earlier in the week by like 2. 87-85. FLGC is a bad team that shouldn't score 60 on us just based on talent level alone.

Not saying the coaching was bad (it was good)...but coaching had little impact. The fact that their leading scorer was out for the year and we have vastly better talent and size was more of an impact

The real issue is that Keiser scored 85 on FLGC and we couldn't get to 80

Last edited:

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry but I am happy for the win, its better than the alternative if we had lost and this would be a 10 page thread which as usual during a win its barely 3 pages. Go Gators!!

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry but I am happy for the win, its better than the alternative if we had lost and this would be a 10 page thread which as usual during a win its barely 3 pages. Go Gators!!
You just don’t get it Boss. We played a bad team and won. That’s the expectation. There’s really no reason to have a 10 page thread about beating a bad team. Of course if we lost there’d be a 10 page thread because we wouldn’t have lived up to the expectation and there’d be plenty to complain about.

Some people have higher expectations for our beloved Gators than others.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Thanx Lee for the reminder. I had no idea there was even a game today and I went to the Mercer game the other nite. I am not sure if there was any offensive improvement in that game beyond shooting %. As I have said the past 3 years, if I am playing UF, I would play a zone defense in the half court against us every time down the floor. I watched and saw absolutely ZERO player movement against the zone the entire nite. So again this year if the team makes shots, they will win, regardless of what types of looks they get. Mike seems either unwilling to make any adjustments or unknowing of how to do so in the half court offense.

Or our players are not capable of doing those other things to defeat a zone defense. Like say driving through the cracks, or having an inside game over the top. This issue is not new, Billy had similar issues many years.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
We still need to beat a good team. Our best win so far is vs. West Virginia, which probably has their worst team under Bob Huggins. The SEC is much better this year and for us to make the NCAA tournament we've got to show the ability to win close games against good teams. So far we haven't done it. Butler will be an opportunity to get a quality win.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I watched the entire game, sure we won but we really did not play that well. We gave up easy buckets in several instances, and missed some as well. We still have trouble with zone D. I was wondering why players were slipping, and why since it happens in this arena every year they have not solved the lighting issue.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Next Saturday 4PM rematch with Butler ESPNU.
Hope to see our Locke-Hayes empowered high % FG team? Nembhard & Allen need to have a better game. IMO KJohnson can add new firepower inside where we have flubbed so much. This team arrangement, this HC is still a puzzling mystery as to team operational identity.?

I think as in previous years he is using the games prior to SEC games to experiment with different line ups etc. I know that he has in the past.

I read that he fell down during the game as well, and the technical is still a mystery to me, perhaps someone knows why he got it and if on purpose why he encouraged it.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
I think as in previous years he is using the games prior to SEC games to experiment with different line ups etc. I know that he has in the past.

I read that he fell down during the game as well, and the technical is still a mystery to me, perhaps someone knows why he got it and if on purpose why he encouraged it.
Only thing that made sense to me was that we were up 17 coming out of a timeout. I think White wanted to keep us fired up and drive home the fact we cant lose intensity with the lead. I think he basically just told the refs to give him a technical. 1 timeout later apparently the refs were joking and laughing it up with White, which would allude to the nature of a White just wanting the technical foul to fire up the team (or keep them focused in this case)

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We need to handle that fairly good Butler team similarly to the FGC way. Can Locke bring 16 points we didn't have before? Can Hayes bring 8 more points? Anyway the new stuff we can bring : Hot-Locke, Stubborn KJohnson, Ballard back in flow, Allen accurate, Hayes afire, Nembhard directing. Dare we count any on Hudson? Looking forward to this team getting into their groove and improving therein. Go Gators, SEC is a coming fast and they are playing better than we are.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I am still not sure what to think of this team.

On one hand, I am excited that our best players are clearly the freshman. Conversely, I am discouraged by the fact that the seniors seem to have regressed versus improving during their tenure with White.
As everyone has stated, this was a solid win but it was also against a dreadful team that will be lucky to finish with a winning record, I guess the same thing could be said about us.

Let's see if the Butler game shows us any real improvement or if this was simply a function of a poor quality opponent. I am hoping for the best.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Truly worrisome points, DGDad. I don't like saying this ? Fact, I hate seeing this played out before my eyes.

1) Our team leaders are freshmen: players that White hasn't had time to effect.??
2) Too many seniors have lost the skills they came to UF with i.e. too much of our scoring %, gone.
3) True, we could wind up with a lousy W-L record. Barely make the NIT, or not
4) True, we are too far into the season to have such a poor record. So little time/opportunities left to correct.
5) The excuse that White can't shoot for them, White can't make the passes for them, can't conduct the plays for them ... So aren't all BBall HC's in that same boat? Is White in the same boat as UT's Rick Barnes, as Auburn's Bruce Pearl, as FSU's Leonard Hamilton(11-1), as Lon Kruger(OK), as Ben Howard (11-1 Miss State), as etc. = they can't shoot for their players either.
All coaches are in that same boat. The good ones figure it out; it's their application of their coaching talent, what they make millions$ for.

Of course, all is forgiven if White molds this into a competitive SEC team, fun to watch, enough to cheer for.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
I will say....Hudson and Allen regressing has little to do with White. Allen comes from his shyness and Hudson in general is a head case who doesnt want to play defense and when misses shots he pouts

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.