Gator Basketball ***Official Game Thread BBALL*** Florida vs LSU

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wow what a WIN for the Gators! Castleton HUGE yet again down low with 21 points and 6 rebounds. Anti-Whiters HATED him transferring in from Michigan cause we only averaged 3 points a game there. Big C really showing and proving that he has a well developed game and he doesn't back down from anyone on defense and plays TOUGH. This Gators team actually plays very tough with guts and heart and doesn't back down. They play very hard and dive for loose balls too. Duruji with 16 points and 7 assists and has played very well since he stepped into the starting lineup for KJ. Mann stellar with 19 points and Lewis all over the court with 17 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 steals. Gators 20/23 on FTs for 87% which is very uncharacteristic of a MW coached team. You could really hear and see White coaching on the sidelines and disputing calls with the refs which is really refreshing to see and hear. Big time win vs a team with a lot more talent than our team. White now 7-3 vs LSU. Go Gators!!

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
This was a good win vs a good team; but we made it more complicated on ourselves than we needed to. Part of LSU's run in on the refs tilting the scales; but our play in the last two minutes was also pretty lackadaisical and dumb--needlessly making things closer than they needed to.

Castleton was a beast in the 2nd half and was the difference in this game; but Duruji and Lewis both had key contributions as well. Appleby with some dumb mistakes--particularly at the end when he cost us a turnover and easy layup for LSU by being lazy and unfocused.

Having a ton of quality depth helped us win this one--and I suspect will make us a dangerous team as we continue to gel through conference play.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Imma say it...

Mike White > Dan Mullen
I'm not. Gators win despite White's best efforts to choke yet again. I can't believe he still tries to chew clock to the point that it gets our players out of rhythm at best and increases turnovers.

And it amazed me how lswho could assault our players and the refs sit there and watch, or worse, call a jump ball to give it to lswho. Gators get a clean block and get called for the foul because leg hair brushed up against the lswho player. Infuriating.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Castleton has that Dominator look. C-ton gives Gators a long-absent inside game. This entire team is a tenacious bunch. Several Gators are showing that shooter's touch - shots not clanging the rim like years past. And they have yet to gel while winning on the way. The ref-calls were going against us & favoring LSU.?? Yet we did not get flustered. We overcame that handicap. After C-ton's first foul early IMO White kept him on the bench for too long? Duruji has been a pleasant surprise. These fellows are fun to watch in their gelling process. It allows me to gel.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So that Castleton guy is pretty damn good. I’m not sure we can expect 16 per
Outing from Duriji but he played very well today. It looks like due to their size Mike opted for Lane over Quez in the rotation today . We didn’t see the Russian out there either . Today was a big step for this team.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
There is still a lot of room for improvement and I wonder if these two teams that we played are any good. That said we see players stepping up especially when needed. Without our best player we are still deep with decent players. Milking the clock happened too early and as noted you have to get some shots where avaiable.

Oklahoma Gator

Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2015
The thing that Castleton showed was an edge. Despite owning one of the more punchable faces in college basketball, the kids got a little mean streak to him that serves teams well come tournament time.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I have to admit that my Gator-spirit was down in the doldrums after our Cotton Bowl fiasco. I approached this LSU basketball game with no hope - expecting LSU to manhandle us. LSU was considered the top SEC team and we were without our top SEC Allstar K. Johnson. These young Gators, with smooth-running performances, handled LSU throughout that game.

IMO, Castleton is just being launched. C-ton is a sure-handed inside big man - a weapon absent for too many of our years. (Maybe practising & observing C-ton can make Payne a better inside man. What a bonus that would be.) These Gator youngsters appear to have very effective court vision, leading to scoring assists that opened up our game and bedraggled LSU's defence. Plus, our defence was stalwart throughout. Keep that up, Gators. And grow your team skills. Us fans need the lift, please. Something to cheer about.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Pleasantly surprised with Castleton these last 2 games. With KJ out he needs to step up and hope he keeps it going. It's nice to see a low post scorer being utilized by coach White. Keep it up guys the schedule only gets tougher down the stretch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.