Gator Basketball ***Official Game Thread BBALL*** Florida vs Missouri

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
poor ball-handling has been a topic since the beginning of the season!

We telegraph too many passes and then throw slow not crisply. We have "brain-freeze", letting them surround the ball-handler & pre-know where he is forced to go with the ball. our team does these negatives while the opposing-coached team does not.?

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Last night was a very rare missed game for me. I heard about a ton of turnovers. For several weeks now I have been noting our lack of ball security. We have no strong ballhandlers. Not one. We couple that with poor passing. A recipe for disaster.
The turnovers weren't all related to ball handling. At least half were bad passes and charges, etc. Glover came in and had 2-3 turnovers in a few seconds. Scotty and Cas continue to have some lazy passes that end up in the opponents hands for quick buckets the other way. And I can't agree fully on us not having strong ball handlers. Both Appleby and Mann have very good handles. Appleby has incredible ball handling skills actually but he has a tendency to juke past the guy defending him and go straight into the giants with no apparent plan other than hoping to get the ball closer to the hoop. Sometimes he finds the outlet pass to the open perimeter teammate or is able to get the layup but too many times it ends up in a bad shot, a block or some other turnover. Still, Tyree is so much better than Glover that you have to take the good with the bad and he needs to be on the floor most of the game along with Mann. Hopefully he makes better decisions with the ball going forward. We aren't that far off being really good. We just need to get everyone back on the same page. I think we win at UT and get some momentum back. Hope so anyway.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I completely agree that passing is every bit a problem as the ballhandling.

As far as the ballhandling goes our guys have AAU handles. That is coachspeak for lack of awareness and not being fundamentally sound. They too often go for the flair. They get out of control or penetrate too deep. It’s the AAU run and gun impact.

Our passing is like others have said. Lazy.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
In sheer honesty Marine1, reading of your extensive basketball experiential knowledge, I feel foolish over what I've blabbered about. But with faith in your good humor, I'm glad you internally chuckled instead of burning me with the hot coal truth. Thanks.
I can only hope that all those thoughts which walk off the end of my tongue when the bs is removed won't be wholly undung. :D

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
In sheer honesty Marine1, reading of your extensive basketball experiential knowledge, I feel foolish over what I've blabbered about. But with faith in your good humor, I'm glad you internally chuckled instead of burning me with the hot coal truth. Thanks.
I can only hope that all those thoughts which walk off the end of my tongue when the bs is removed won't be wholly undung. :D

I enjoy your posts, Rog....and read every one of them. While we agree to the extent that MW isn’t our best option I think I am far more inclined to place blame on the players as well. I try not to be disrespectful to them because I like our guys but I see things they should be accountable for.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Seems like White needs to go back to basics and teach the 3 man weave?

On a side note, slow pace stall ball is the worst. My nephew's high school bball team was 1 game away from the elite 8. Up 2 points with 4 minutes to go, the coach decided to stall. They lost by 1 point when the other team hit a 3 with 15 seconds to go. This mind set needs to be erased from basketball

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Seems like White needs to go back to basics and teach the 3 man weave?

On a side note, slow pace stall ball is the worst. My nephew's high school bball team was 1 game away from the elite 8. Up 2 points with 4 minutes to go, the coach decided to stall. They lost by 1 point when the other team hit a 3 with 15 seconds to go. This mind set needs to be erased from basketball

I had a friend of mine coaching a high school game. His team came out in a zone. The opponent wanted to force them out of the zone so they held the ball. My friend would not come out of the zone so they all stood there frozen and went to halftime 0-0. Second half my friends team got the ball to start the half but unfortunately they didn’t score. The opponent went right back to a stall. With about 15 seconds left in the game they finally went into their offense but the good guys stole the ball and scored winning 2-0. That opposing coach incurred the wrath of both sides fans for his nonsense.

I argued for a high school shot clock for years using this example. FHSAA still does not have a shot clock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator