Gator Basketball ***Official Game Thread BBALL*** Florida vs Oklahoma

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I would like to be the guy that gets on this thread and states that it’s still early in the season and that I see steady improvement and that I can see the end game that Golden is working towards but I just can’t.
I see a mish-mash of players running up and down the court with no scheme and no plan. A team that has shown zero improvement and in fact has regressed in several ways. For example, Reeves has gone from a player that can make big threes when open to a guy that thinks that a double team means he’s supposed to drive the ball right at the defense. Now nearly every player on the court appears to be playing their own individual game.

Going to continue to be a really long season.
Wake me when Sasse decides to clean up the athletics department.

sminings

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
The NCAA tourney chances are all but done. The only caveat is if they somehow finish in the top 5 in the SEC. Don't see that happening.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
You’re just an irrational, impatient and toxic Gator fan. We will become Mississippi State East and you’ll like it!
Interesting take. They hired Mike Leach (RIP) and the basketball team is currently 11-1 being coached by Jans who had a great track record at NM State. What I wouldn't give for that combination of coaches.

I normally don't say things like this, but Golden is looking like a turd at the moment.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Shooting Shoot Your Shot GIF
You really improved your shot Jay!

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I would like to be the guy that gets on this thread and states that it’s still early in the season and that I see steady improvement and that I can see the end game that Golden is working towards but I just can’t.
I see a mish-mash of players running up and down the court with no scheme and no plan. A team that has shown zero improvement and in fact has regressed in several ways. For example, Reeves has gone from a player that can make big threes when open to a guy that thinks that a double team means he’s supposed to drive the ball right at the defense. Now nearly every player on the court appears to be playing their own individual game.

Going to continue to be a really long season.
Wake me when Sasse decides to clean up the athletics department.
Sounds all too familiar. It’s like I’ve read this book before.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
CMW is going to eat our lunch at UGAy. He's laughing his ass off right now. Good luck with Golden Showers, not even a single NCAA victory on his resume. Heck Mike White has about a half dozen or more tourney victories. This is seeming more like another self-inflicted wound... like when Stricknine hired his buddy Mullen. Unless Golden brings in some NBA caliber Euro-talent, our goose is cooked.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Golden Closet Homo never finished higher than third in the WCC.

Stricklin needs to be shown the door. Starkville loser.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017

Starkville Loser is correct. I mean why did we even hire this yahoo? What did they ever win at MSU? Did they win the baseball championship one year? I don't remember them achieving any kind of athletic success. The best football coach that Stricknine ever met is Dan MuLLLLLLenz. Think about that for a moment. This guy knows a medium talent when he sees one.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Starkville Loser is correct. I mean why did we even hire this yahoo? What did they ever win at MSU? Did they win the baseball championship one year? I don't remember them achieving any kind of athletic success. The best football coach that Stricknine ever met is Dan MuLLLLLLenz. Think about that for a moment. This guy knows a medium talent when he sees one.

Stricklin was our fourth choice

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017

Wait a minute, what? He never even won his own conference? WTF!
I guess we're not really expecting to compete. We're just fielding a team now for revenue.
I want a Refund now. Who is Stricknine consulting before these hires? Geez.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Wait a minute, what? He never even won his own conference? WTF!
I guess we're not really expecting to compete. We're just fielding a team now for revenue.
I want a Refund now. Who is Stricknine consulting before these hires? Geez.

Golden's head coach experience...3 years. Getting them to the big dance I guess impressed ole Scotty

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Golden's head coach experience...3 years. Getting them to the big dance I guess impressed ole Scotty

If I was a mid-major coach making, say, 1 million a year. I could theoretically purchase a star player to help dominate my league (maybe from overseas). I could for example offer a stud player to join my team for 500K per year. After two years of dominating, offers from bigger schools will come pouring in and my new salary will be in the 4-6 million dollar range. This is what Deion just did in football. This will be a way forward for a lot of coaches stuck in the obscurity of smaller leagues.

I got to say, I can't believe we hired this guy from the left coast. Did he give Stricknine a hummer to seal the deal? WTF?!?!?!?!

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
If I was a mid-major coach making, say, 1 million a year. I could theoretically purchase a star player to help dominate my league (maybe from overseas). I could for example offer a stud player to join my team for 500K per year. After two years of dominating, offers from bigger schools will come pouring in and my new salary will be in the 4-6 million dollar range. This is what Deion just did in football. This will be a way forward for a lot of coaches stuck in the obscurity of smaller leagues.

I got to say, I can't believe we hired this guy from the left coast. Did he give Stricknine a hummer to seal the deal? WTF?!?!?!?!
andy richter conan obrien GIF by Team Coco

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The second half was pitiful. Just couldn’t make shots . Frustrating game

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

As I have mentioned, Golden was hired after Stricklin applied the exact same template Fooley used to hire Billy Donovan, which was an appropriate profile for a fledgling program with no sustained history of success in 1996.

Fooley got lucky and hired a generational coach that lifted the program, not only to places we’d never been but, to places we never imagined possible.
When Donovan left instead of updating the template to reflect the current status of the program Fooley brushed off the exact same profile even though the program was in a completely different place.

The template called for a young up and coming coach with the vision and the capabilities to “put Florida’s program on the map.” The program was already very prominent and required a proven winner to continue the progress. However the arrogance and/or incompetence of the AD resulted the hiring of an empty suit that looked and sounded like the template.

Seven years later Stricklin pulls out that same tired template and hires the same empty suit that looks right and sounds right and here we still are in the middle of the conference at best.

Meanwhile most of the SEC applied the “proven winner “ template when hiring coaches and one by one they have passed us by.
Alabama
Arkansas
Auburn
Tennessee
Texas A&M

Have joined Kentucky sitting well above the UF program that was the best in the SEC as recently as 2014. Now we find ourselves fending off the bottom feeders for NIT bids each year.

But remember what we have been told “UF is not a basketball school we just got lucky and got a great coach.” This statement alone is all one needs to understand what’s wrong with the program.

Just think if UF took that same approach when Spurrier left we might still have Ron Zook as our coach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator