Gator Basketball ***Official Game Thread BBALL*** Florida vs Vanderbilt

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Haven't watched much of the game yet (recorded it). The little I did watch shined a big bright light on whomever was announcing the last game against UGA on ESPN. The UGA game was all about how awesome the Gator players were. This one, back to the usual ignoring us.

When White takes over, it gives announcers nothing to talk about.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Haven't watched much of the game yet (recorded it). The little I did watch shined a big bright light on whomever was announcing the last game against UGA on ESPN. The UGA game was all about how awesome the Gator players were. This one, back to the usual ignoring us.
Well at least SOMEBODY knows we exist...

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
I can't put my finger on why, but it sure seemed like we played better without Lewis and Castleton. Lewis was hitting everything he threw up in the first half against vandy and Castleton is a beast; but both of those guys need to find the open shooter instead of taking the entire game on their shoulders. I know they are athletic guys but many of their shots were forced. I saw Castleton try to do every kind of body contortion to try to hit a hoop while being guarded by three vandy players...and can you believe it, he missed. I saw him pass it out the next time he was ganged up on.

I may be imagining things, but, when we played ut and the dawgs, our guys played like a team, but we took a step back last night. Find the open guy and let them shoot; an assist and getting in position for a rebound are also important facets of the game.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Maybe that was because Lewis is in the mix again. I agree, the team did take a step back last night.

Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This team reconstituted itself after Keyontae went out. Then shift with Scotty's outage and Castleton's limp. Now shifting again with Scotty's and Castleton's reintegration ongoing. We've shown that we can win while limping. The best is yet coming.

We cannot minimize that Payne hits 71.9% of his shots ... Castleton hits 63.6% of his shots = keep those guys in there & keep them shooting. Osifo hits 57% ... Mann & Applebee hit like 47% ... Scottie hits 49.2% = that is a high marksman team. Better things to come.

Last edited:

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I can't put my finger on why, but it sure seemed like we played better without Lewis and Castleton. Lewis was hitting everything he threw up in the first half against vandy and Castleton is a beast; but both of those guys need to find the open shooter instead of taking the entire game on their shoulders. I know they are athletic guys but many of their shots were forced. I saw Castleton try to do every kind of body contortion to try to hit a hoop while being guarded by three vandy players...and can you believe it, he missed. I saw him pass it out the next time he was ganged up on.

I may be imagining things, but, when we played ut and the dawgs, our guys played like a team, but we took a step back last night. Find the open guy and let them shoot; an assist and getting in position for a rebound are also important facets of the game.
I agree. I thought Castleton was passing more earlier in the season. No wonder players are reluctant to throw Castleton the ball.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Maybe the coaches told him to go the basket more and make something happen. We were getting a little outside shot happy.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If this season is his best coaching job, he has a very low ceiling!

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
What? Get it into Castleton and the big hope is that our inside "big-man" pass it back out?? That would be White's basketball right there = think outside shooting, guard scoring from the 40% spots, not the inside 67% spots. Mike White ball? ... It looks like we are developing a well-rounded offense (& defense), the kind that can rally to beat anyone (#6-UT, LSU) etc. Of course, abilities & smart teamwork are just beginning at this point. Go new Gators - develop more.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014

Ball movement and inside/out game are not novel concepts.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
What? Get it into Castleton and the big hope is that our inside "big-man" pass it back out?? That would be White's basketball right there = think outside shooting, guard scoring from the 40% spots, not the inside 67% spots. Mike White ball? ... It looks like we are developing a well-rounded offense (& defense), the kind that can rally to beat anyone (#6-UT, LSU) etc. Of course, abilities & smart teamwork are just beginning at this point. Go new Gators - develop more.

If three players crash down on Castleton when he gets the ball in the paint, it means the other 4 Gators are being guarded by 2. Somebody's got to be open. Depending on the defensive set, it could be an open player on the 3 point line (White's favorite), or a player coming into the paint from the opposite side for an easy, high percentage basket on a quick pass from Castleton. Either way, since Castleton is a good passer, it should be a better option than Castleton trying to make the basket while well guarded.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
While criticizing, I've seen Castleton provide a "give-&-go" heading for a "sure" slam and the ball recipient doesn't even look for him and he's in the clear approaching the rim? The recipient looks only to pass it outward, so a score-weapon is not dialed-into our style? I think we're best when aware and using every weapon. Still, when we have to have a score, I feel better seeing that we use the inside big men - the 67% & 71% hits.?? The outside guys are doing well by hitting 45% for us. There are some underused good style or thinking avenues that will make us more dominant, especially that cranked-up defense. (Let's face it, UT had an atrocious off-game against us, while we played ball-hawking lights-out.)

We have severe tests coming for us, so we'll need all to step forward with IQ, quickness, teamwork - get that winning rhythm going and streak out our opponents. If it's White's philosophy vs their coach's philosophy, how do we fare? Those teams I fear are the ones that crash the basket to shoot the most 67% hits. Hope for our best. Go Gators! Avoid lapses and slowdowns at upcoming showdowns --please.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Caselton and Payne both played 21 minutes. Caselton took 8 shots. Payne took 1 shot.

Nearly all of Payne’s offense since he arrived here is lobs for dunks or putbacks. He has to take some shots facing the basket. He must work on his footwork and drop steps. He has to get more engaged offensively.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
we have no chance @WVU tomorrow, they are looking for big time payback when we trashed them a few years ago when it was CLEAR they had the better team. They will be looking to TROUNCE us

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
WVU will most certainly attack our ncaa worst pick-n-roll defense.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
we have no chance @WVU tomorrow, they are looking for big time payback when we trashed them a few years ago when it was CLEAR they had the better team. They will be looking to TROUNCE us

You’re on a swonkey-like roll of being wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator