Gator Basketball Gators get by Nevada to storm into the Terrific 32

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Love seeing our guys reaction and excitement to getting into the tourney. Obviously much better than the alternative to not getting in. It will be a great experience for our guys to play on the big stage and provide great experience for our young guys who are the future of the program. Go Gators!!

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Love seeing our guys reaction and excitement to getting into the tourney. Obviously much better than the alternative to not getting in. It will be a great experience for our guys to play on the big stage and provide great experience for our young guys who are the future of the program. Go Gators!!

Where was coach White's cheer with his guys? Coach should be there for congratulatory handshake with each player -- especially seniors who have been with him 3-4 years. No biggie, it would just be nice.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It looked like him in the middle clapping and smiling and enjoying his guys and enjoying seeing his guys happiness. I wasn't there and we don't get to see all of the celebration so we will never know. I for one am not gonna look further into it and dissect it. Great for our guys to get in after a tough up and down season when it looked like we might mail it in when we were sitting at 12-11 record wise. We would win 7 of the final 11 games to secure our spot into the tourney. Great finish by our guys to fight hard and great coaching also to get these guys back on track to go dancing. Go Gators!!

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I expect Florida to win this one. Nevada is another Guard heavy team that shoots the 3 ball. The losses they’ve taken this year have been against teams that play great defense. Florida will lock them down, frustrate them from making shots and it will be one and done for this team with extremely high expectations.

I think you give this Florida team too much credit. This is a team that just managed to shoot 60% and lose a damn game cause they couldn't keep from turning the ball over. Nevada rolls.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Nevada has a propensity for big comebacks, and we have a propensity for giving up big comebacks. That makes me nervous.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Looking at their 29-4 record, their statistics and their players, I think they beat us handily. Nevada probably should have been a 4 seed and could make a run to the Elite 8.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
But,but,but what if Allen & Locke repeat their game of dueling 3s? Plus Hayes & Stokes & KJ handle business closer in? And coach White shouts the correct reminders from the courtside. Yeah, and coach White should goad Nevada's coach into a technical.:cool:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
NEvada played a much softer schedule. We played 6-8 games much harder than anything they played. Five seniors is impressive. They have good size, too. Will be interesting. I think we beat them.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
If Caroline is back 100%, as they say, odds may swing slightly in their favor. If not, odds swing slightly to UF’s favor. In my opinion, it’s that close.

Florida’s more difficult schedule is definitely a plus for the good guys. Nevada’s ability to close games out at the end is a plus for them.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Nevada's top 7 players - Caleb Martin, 6'7" Sr., 19.2 ppg, 5 reb. 2.9 ast.;
Jordan Caroline, 6'7" Sr., 17.3 ppg, 9.6 reb., 2 ast.; Cody Martin, 6'7" Sr., 11.7 ppg, 4.5 reb. 5.1 ast.; Jazz Johnson 5'10" Jr., 11.2 ppg., 1.8 reb. 1.5 ast.; Tre'Shawn Thurman, 6'7" Sr., 8.3 ppg., 5.7 reb., 1.7 ast.; Trey Porter, 6'11" Sr., 7.4 ppg., 4.8 reb.; Jordan Brown, 6'11" Fr., (#20 rated recruit in 2018 class) 3.1 ppg., 2.1 reb.
Quite a challenge for the Gators. Hope they come out on fire.

Nevada only has 1 bad loss - to New Mexico. Their other 3 losses were to NCAA tourney teams - Utah St. & San Diego St. twice. They made the Sweet 16 last year and even though their SOS, NET, RPI, etc. isn't up there with Florida's, we did lose 15 games and they won 29. It's apples and oranges and you can't really compare until they meet on the court. That's what makes March Madness so interesting.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
If it turns to UF 'cruising' to a win, well our guys deserve that break. Gators have faced so many fiercely contested games battering them down the stretch. Good guys deserve a 'breeze-game'. Hope everyone plays their best teammated game, with enough joy to go around -- a relief of pressure on them all = including coach White. Make it a non-choking game for us fans to watch too.
"Thursday-come-soon".

I expect some different types of defenses from us and using our guards to turn the ball over and get easy baskets. I would like it if the entire team gets to play in this game, but we really don't perform mostly to allow that.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Nevada only has 1 bad loss - to New Mexico. Their other 3 losses were to NCAA tourney teams - Utah St. & San Diego St. twice. They made the Sweet 16 last year and even though their SOS, NET, RPI, etc. isn't up there with Florida's, we did lose 15 games and they won 29. It's apples and oranges and you can't really compare until they meet on the court. That's what makes March Madness so interesting.

Interesting point, I'm too lazy to dig the stats now, but how many of their wins were over tourney teams? How many of our (many) losses were to tourney teams vs bad losses? Very much apples and oranges = anything can happen.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NV is currently a 2.5 point favorite to win and given a 56.5% chance to beat UF. Most experts have NV beating UF pretty easily and some even have NV going to the Elite 8. They were 2 points away from being an Elite 8 team last season but lost by 1 point to Loyola Chicago. NV is very experienced and is a big team so this will be a very tough game for us to match up with. We are going to have to really defend at a high level and run some great offense and hit shots to pull off the huge upset. Anything can happen in March Madness so we will see. Go Gators!!

NVAGATOR86

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2017
Nevada has some big guards that can give us trouble. Not to mention the big boys inside. Another interesting fact that someone on ESPN mentioned yesterday is that their average age is 23.5 years old. Comment was that they are as old as some NBA teams. Not sure about that but their better players are transfers. Their Coach Eric Musselman is good and has a .769 winning percentage at
"Nev -AD-a ". I am sure they will be fired up to play the Mighty Gators and the SEC.
The guard match ups concern me, but maybe we can turn them over and score transition buckets. Flip side of that is that our 3's are going to be tougher to come by with their size outside. Like all of our games this should be another gut grinder.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Another interesting fact that someone on ESPN mentioned yesterday is that their average age is 23.5 years old. Comment was that they are as old as some NBA teams. Not sure about that but their better players are transfers.

As I’ve already said in this thread, their starting 6 guys that are 5th year seniors. They are the 2nd oldest team in the country behind Harvard (23.6 yo). Their entire starting 6 are ALL transfers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb