Gator Basketball ***Official Game Thread*** Florida vs South Carolina

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Sometimes your best lineup just isn't all that good. Castleton, Mann and Appleby all played poorly in crunch time. It's particularly disappointing on Tre's part because he has the skills and talent, but up to this point in his career hasn't shown that ability to take the team on his shoulders and take us home when you need a basket, assist or steal, drive for an & 1, etc to close out an opponent. What you want to see from him is the killer instinct where his best performance is when it counts the most, like a Kyree Irving type player, having the confidence to elevate his play when we need it. Maybe that is still coming as he gains more experience but up to this point, as good as he has been, not being clutch is disappointing.
Players often take on the personality of the coach. Mike White doesn't seem to have that killer instinct and doesn't pass it along. This team needs a Scottie/Joakim/Pat Young type player to smack them in the face.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Players often take on the personality of the coach. Mike White doesn't seem to have that killer instinct and doesn't pass it along. This team needs a Scottie/Joakim/Pat Young type player to smack them in the face.
ever watch Johnny Wooden coach? Or Dean Smith.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
What is missing, is missing in practices, practices, = both the athletics rehearsing and the on-the-move thinking-assessment. Does anyone see Mike White as adept at transferring unrelenting drive, evergrowing confidence, jaunty rhythm, non-stop energy?
Droopy Dog could do Mike White's job.

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019

Exactly...even though we won, we had no excuse letting Vandy come back like they did

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
What is missing, is missing in practices, practices, = both the athletics rehearsing and the on-the-move thinking-assessment. Does anyone see Mike White as adept at transferring unrelenting drive, evergrowing confidence, jaunty rhythm, non-stop energy?
Droopy Dog could do Mike White's job.

No jaunty rhythm for sure.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
The other guards were Tony Rogers and Rob Harden and none them were even close to division one players.
Sloan struggled to put an entire team together it seemed. He had a solid front court and no guards then after the bigs graduated, he had strong perimeter players:
Joe Lawrence
Pat Lawrence
Andrew Moten
Ronnie Montgomery
Vermin Maxwell

But had no solid front court players until the last couple of years.
After sitting through all the struggles, I truly appreciated what Billy was able to accomplish but this experience also fuels the frustration with the current state of the program.

Also had Daryl Gresham for a year or two during that stretch before he transferred to Georgia State I think.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Most valid of all, could White's problem be simple cowardice - doubts absorbable by the players he's teaching.?

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
As I'm always the contrarian, could it be that the S. Carolina game was the result of an emotional letdown when the team had it confirmed that Keyontae was definitely not going to be able to play this season? I believe that confirmation came out earlier in the day of the S. Carolina game.

It does amaze me that folks went from disliking Mike White on Jan 22, just before the Tennessee blowout, to guardedly optimistic about him on Feb 2, just before the S. Carolina debacle, to absolutely hating him now, as if the 4 good-to-great games never happened.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
There must be several trained ingrained characteristics to putting a consistently winning team on the court game after game.
#1) Mike White seems to be a coach who doesn't have any ideas of how to ingrain any of the dogged characteristics of consistent winning.

How about extreme stamina? Typical distant running-drills fall short. There should be very taxing "dashes" like 400 meters - a sprint that puts the greatest "stress" on legs and lungs. Heck, if track athletes can be pushed to do it, then basketball athletes can do it.

It doesn't stand out as so noticeable, but what if late in a game, players' inadequate stamina causes each jump to be inches shorter, giving shots an inadequate "height-angle" = so clanging rims, sloppy ricochets, not quick-good jumping for rebounds, overall sluggish reflexes, ...etc.?
The worth of stamina also directs the play early in the game. Prepared stamina means prepared energy from start to finish. Players feel good thus ensuring that power of confidence. "Second winds" stave off opposing teams' scoring charges and allow scoring bursts.

On the flip side, stamina-lack connects to the inability to try hard enough, inability to maintain a lead, to overcome referees ( :D), inability to maintain high spirits throughout the game = long enough to defeat the opponent. We need every advantage we can acquire to take it to the opponent. Training with no-nonsense 400-meter times, 800-meter times certainly should greatly help. We need help. (I know I do.)

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Tenn game now postponed and the Saturday game vs TAM is now in jeopardy. Season over now?

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
ever watch Johnny Wooden coach? Or Dean Smith.
Coach, those guys were incredible teachers, mentors, and team builders. The amazing thing about Wooden is winning was not his emphasis. It was on building a team and having the guys play together. The foundation of what they did was always friendship, loyalty, and an incredible work ethic. It just doesn't seem like Mike White's teams have that.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
As I'm always the contrarian, could it be that the S. Carolina game was the result of an emotional letdown when the team had it confirmed that Keyontae was definitely not going to be able to play this season? I believe that confirmation came out earlier in the day of the S. Carolina game.

It does amaze me that folks went from disliking Mike White on Jan 22, just before the Tennessee blowout, to guardedly optimistic about him on Feb 2, just before the S. Carolina debacle, to absolutely hating him now, as if the 4 good-to-great games never happened.

Yeah. Coach White sucks.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Mike White is thinking he didn't pout hard enough in front of his players about his team's previous letdowns.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
It helped Johnny W to have Walton and Jabbar. Two of the greatest in those decades or any. Dean had amazing players too. But I remember when Billy was whooping duke and NC in a title run and the announcer said that they didnt have the bench to play with Fla that year.
Did you ever watch either of them coach a team with less than 8 McDonalds All Americans?
John didn have too many before Alcindor. Usualy a few but not like UK or Dean and Mike did later on..........
Imagine if Russell had gone to UCLA instead of San Fran. John probably has 5 more..........cause Bill would have inspired more to UCLA early on

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
3 games cancelled and 6 games postponed for our Gators so far this season. Will they be made up? 2 of the postponed games were conference games and the other 4 games were cupcake filler games. So we would have probably gone 5-4 in those 9 games we have missed so that puts us as 15-9 or so at this point. Another season down the tubes in disappointment.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Mike White has cancelled more games than UF has. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.