Gator Basketball ***Official Game Thread*** Florida vs Tennessee

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
White fails to get 6'10" Omar Payne any kind of development? He fails to ride-develop Jitoboh any amount. Jitiboh has 6 rebounds in 7 minutes of playing time. Nobody has that ratio? There is something right there to develop. An HC should tackle a player's deficits to make him better. I fear that White sees an intense coaching effort as an unfair demand on a coach. ("My brother and my father never have to do that strain.")

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
I can always zip my pecker up in my pants if I want to be miserable. No way I'm watching these UToothless take us to the woodshed. No thanks.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Can White's crew get things turned around and pull off the victory against a top 10 opponent and rival? Not likely unfortunately. White's record against UT is 1-5 and this is one of the better toothless squads he has faced. Meanwhile Gators are severely undermanned with the loss of team leader and SEC POTY candidate Keyonte Johnson, and the continuation of the mysterious absence of Scottie Lewis, listed as out for "health and safety reasons" that apparently may or may not be related to Covid. Losing 2 of their 3 best players is a challenge for any team and we certainly aren't going to be able to make it up through superior coaching under White's leadership.

Our only chance is to try to take a page from Bama's formula for beating the Vols and take a boatload of 3's and hope we are hitting them at a high clip, like 45% plus. We will also have to avoid turnovers and hold our own inside. Could be another long night in a long season full of loses.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
White fails to get 6'10" Omar Payne any kind of development? He fails to ride-develop Jitoboh any amount. Jitiboh has 6 rebounds in 7 minutes of playing time. Nobody has that ratio? There is something right there to develop. An HC should tackle a player's deficits to make him better. I fear that White sees an intense coaching effort as an unfair demand on a coach. ("My brother and my father never have to do that strain.")
Payne is lost on defense. He usually looks like he's randomly roaming around inside the key with his back to the basket not really guarding anyone until someone drives past him, then he chases to try to swat for the block. He's really athletic but apparently not too swift on the uptake.

Jitoboh is just not good. His problem isn't lack of coaching, it's lack of talent, athleticism or the ability to back away from the local all-you-can-eat buffets. You've had an obsession with him since he got here predicting he could be a 20 and 10 guy as I recall, but the reality is what you are seeing now. A guy who can't get off the bench (almost literally) with transfer to a lower division program being his only realistic chance at PT.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Payne is lost on defense. He usually looks like he's randomly roaming around inside the key with his back to the basket not really guarding anyone until someone drives past him, then he chases to try to swat for the block. He's really athletic but apparently not too swift on the uptake.

Jitoboh is just not good. His problem isn't lack of coaching, it's lack of talent, athleticism or the ability to back away from the local all-you-can-eat buffets. You've had an obsession with him since he got here predicting he could be a 20 and 10 guy as I recall, but the reality is what you are seeing now. A guy who can't get off the bench (almost literally) with transfer to a lower division program being his only realistic chance at PT.

See: Walker, Chris

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
lagator, never said Jitiboh could be a 20 & 10 star. I hoped on his height & weight, as we haven't had a banger since Patric Young?
Some players come ready-made, most don't. UF doesn't have the luxury of recruits to not drive them into improving or drive them out of the program.

I believe Payne came as a highly valued recruit. Could he be stupid and unable to grasp his errors and come in that highly valued? Or is it too easy to backslide under White's communications? Has White established a reputation for taking recruits and building them in the right direction = better? We need just about every player we have recruited to learn, to perform - none to spare.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
See: Walker, Chris

Payne is bad but he’s not quite that bad.

We were lucky that Chris Walker never just wandered off the court or sat down on the court during the game like a little league outfielder.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I went naive on Chris Walker's arrival. I was totally wrong, but so what - what is that on a sports opinion board?

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Jitoboh gained like 75 lbs in the offseason. That was just awful for his development and playing time . He needs to lose 100 lbs

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
lagator, never said Jitiboh could be a 20 & 10 star. I hoped on his height & weight, as we haven't had a banger since Patric Young?
Some players come ready-made, most don't. UF doesn't have the luxury of recruits to not drive them into improving or drive them out of the program.

I believe Payne came as a highly valued recruit. Could he be stupid and unable to grasp his errors and come in that highly valued? Or is it too easy to backslide under White's communications? Has White established a reputation for taking recruits and building them in the right direction = better? We need just about every player we have recruited to learn, to perform - none to spare.
White sucks at developing players for sure, but Payne is way behind his teammates on the defensive end so I have to think some of the problem is his, whether it's lack of effort, lack of study or lack of ability to understand and retain the defensive rotations. I keep hoping he will improve because we definitely need the help inside, especially with Lewis out.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Didn't know that Jitiboh gained such a grotesque amount of weight. That means 275 + 75 he's 350. Can't work with that. Are there any terms on those scholarships? Are our nutritionists useless in the offseason?
Payne might benefit from a sports hypnotist.?? Try hard developers.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
No Keyontae, No Scottie, and No Castleton

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.