Game Thread ***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: Las Vegas Bowl - UF vs Oregon State***

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I watched, unfortunately. I'm not gonna lie, a lot of negative thoughts crossed my mind as I sat through yet another embarrassing, mistake-filled loss. I can't remember the first year of a coaching change feeling this long or this much of a grind. I'm relieved it's over.

I'm not sold on either outcome, Napier as a success or a dud. What I know for sure is, there's plenty of work to be done and he's going to be here a minimum of three seasons, a complete collapse or show-cause notwithstanding. Gotta keep the expectations low and the hopes high in the meantime.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
So, you think it makes sense to go for it on 4th and goal from the 23 with 42 seconds left down 30-0? Just to show we care? That we aren't pussies even after coaching like it for over 59 minutes.

Or even on the 4th and two (nice dive behind the new starter out of position - quality play call)? Billy tried it even though there was ZERO chance of winning at that point.

This coach and staff don't give two fuchs about the players that earned that streak before they got here, but at least managed not to fuch it up when it was obvious to kick the field goal...the second time.
Well put.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
No, I don't think it makes any difference. The streak is not one that any program is envious over. Winning streaks, championships, etc matter. I understand why we kicked the FG and I suppose it's better to have the streak alive than over. But honestly, wins and loses matter, saying "yeah, we lose about half our games, but dammit, we don't get blanked" is a strange thing to take pride in to me.
I know when I played football, getting skunked was the worst , most deflating way to lose. I would rather lose by 20 or 30 points than lose 10-0. At least to me. Also most of my teammates at the time too.

I may be in the minority.

Imo... Putting at least 3 on the board validates (somewhat) that stupid "I won't back down" tune.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Well thankfully I did not see the game but can't say I am surprised at the result. For those who thought a bowl game was a must for extra practices, well I hope they realize those practices are meaningless unless you are in the final 4. Reading within a couple threads the topic du jour regarding a scoring streak is laughable. Given football today and all the rules both on and off the field, it is ALMOST impossible to get shut out in a game. Even if you tried not to score it would be ALMOST impossible. But for those who care about scoring a FG etc., it is just a microcosm of the state of the team, the fans and the university in general. And I realize having good players and recruiting is important, but to me I would have a greater level of confidence in that mantra if a HC had shown an innate ability to understand what is going on between the lines on game day throughout the season, even without a load of talent. And then it would be understandable to be excited about getting or potentially getting better players. But beyond Sling Blade talking like a HC, outside a very very very few instances in the regular season, his inability to understand game management in all 3 phases was striking. And yes great players can masks some of those mistakes some of the time, but no players can masks all those mistakes all of the time.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Just read an article that said CFB world is laughing at us. No surprise here.
I don't know about the article, but the game announcers were laughing at us big time. Next year let me know when the absolute bottom of the barrel game announcers, selected against their will, take us seriously. In the meantime maybe I'll take up fishing again.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know about the article, but the game announcers were laughing at us big time. Next year let me know when the absolute bottom of the barrel game announcers, selected against their will, take us seriously. In the meantime maybe I'll take up fishing again.
Lots a great mud flats fishing for Reds up there.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I can't say I'm terribly surprised by the outcome. We weren't good all year. AR isn't great, but apparently there's a reason he was starting over Miller (even without the thumb injury, Miller was still #2 behind AR). It's pretty obvious we're in trouble next year without a transfer QB that's better than Miller. Unless they can get the rookie Max Brown ready, but I think that's a stretch. Best case scenario for us is to replace all the losers who transferred with at least a little bit of talent upgrade and hope for 8-4 next year I guess. We'll be really really young and really really inexperienced next year so it'll be all about getting the guys in synch and all the new blood ready to fight for something worth fighting for in 2024.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Kitna did exist, and he was the clear #2. No one saw his total destruction coming.
To yours and my eyes Kitna appeared the clear #2, but BN always said Miller was #2 prior to his thumb injury, and repeated it again when he named Miller the starter for the bowl game. That's bad news going forward if we don't get a QB better than Miller into the program, and fast.

Dunder

Dec 31, 2014
Crap... you're right about the opening game streak. Probably gone. But, that streak was mainly because we scheduled NE lower Montana State Agricultural college types.

Still would be nice to keep.it going.
That streak ended when Mac lost to Michigan in Jerryworld.

Dunder

Dec 31, 2014
I understand some care about it. I just don't see it as having any importance. Losing 27-0 vs 30-3 is still both equally getting your a$$ kicked.
Today the streak doesn’t matter because our team sucks & our program is in the toilet. But hopefully in two years we’ll be contenders again, riding high, and it will be cool to say, “and another thing, you know we haven’t been shutout since ‘88?”

Of course, that whole “contenders in 2 years” thing…. I’ve been saying that for 12 years now.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Our OL got dominated from the start. What “approach” overcomes that? First start ever for a QB that hasn’t played all year behind that OL. What “approach” makes that successful?
C’mon guys, at least ACT like you’ve got some common sense.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I watched, unfortunately. I'm not gonna lie, a lot of negative thoughts crossed my mind as I sat through yet another embarrassing, mistake-filled loss. I can't remember the first year of a coaching change feeling this long or this much of a grind. I'm relieved it's over.

I'm not sold on either outcome, Napier as a success or a dud. What I know for sure is, there's plenty of work to be done and he's going to be here a minimum of three seasons, a complete collapse or show-cause notwithstanding. Gotta keep the expectations low and the hopes high in the meantime.

Well said. Basically how I feel. Not sold on Napier either way, just disappointed on how bad it looked this season. Lots to fix.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Our OL got dominated from the start. What “approach” overcomes that? First start ever for a QB that hasn’t played all year behind that OL. What “approach” makes that successful?
C’mon guys, at least ACT like you’ve got some common sense.

Napier himself said “I didn’t have the guys prepared” or something to that effect. Effort and performance looked very Vandy-ish

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Napier himself said “I didn’t have the guys prepared” or something to that effect. Effort and performance looked very Vandy-ish
What’s he gonna say after that performance? “I did a great job preparing these back-ups but they didn’t execute!”. :lol:

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
What’s he gonna say after that performance? “I did a great job preparing these back-ups but they didn’t execute!”. :lol:
47DFEBE4-0179-47CE-A811-445B49662E0F.gif

I think the fact we had no plan to counter their heavy blitzing was comical. Little RB screen or quick hitters never hurt anybody

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.