***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs Ass Sniffers***

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
I think that plays into our hands. I do think it’s a real possibility Kirby comes out trying to throw. But Stetson Bennett is terrible! We win big if they try to get in a track meet. They have one easy path to victory and that’s running right down our throats. I don’t think we have the bodies to stop that kind of attack. It’s really tempting to throw against our defense. I’m hoping that’s the way they lean.

If we can score early, we can force them into track meet which could end in a blow-out win for the good guys. The four yards and a cloud of teeth approach doesn't work so well when you find yourself down by 17 at half time.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Not attacking you, but can we stop with this ridiculous thinking. Coaches don’t do that. Every year we hear how a team is holding back for next week. That’s a recipe for disaster. I’m sure there’s coaches somewhere doing that, but those are usually the sorry coaches. Great coaches care more about execution. Do what you do but do it better. Not trying to come up with some ridiculous scheme to trick them. Or holding back plays.
You have to remember, this IS ugay. Any sarcastic, snarky derogatory thing I can think of I will post it. Fuch ugly.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
If we sell out to stop the run Stetson has to beat us...Is he better or worse than Bazelak? That’s the million dollar question

The question is, if we sell out to stop the run, can we stop the run? If we can, we have a good chance of winning this game, because Bennett’s arm isn’t likely to beat us. If we can’t stop the run, they will run it down our throats all day, wearing our defense down, and they win the game.

They set out to beat KY by running the ball, and met a stouter than expected defense. If not for KY’s inept offense, they could have won that game.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
The question is, if we sell out to stop the run, can we stop the run? If we can, we have a good chance of winning this game, because Bennett’s arm isn’t likely to beat us. If we can’t stop the run, they will run it down our throats all day, wearing our defense down, and they win the game.

They set out to beat KY by running the ball, and met a stouter than expected defense. If not for KY’s inept offense, they could have won that game.

I see them scoring 24-27 on our D but we’ll be efficient on offense...this year will be the first step towards exposing the house of cards

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

Our defense against their OL is my biggest worry. We couldn’t stop A&M’s rushing attack nor the Cawks, so I don’t hold out much hope for stuffing a team with 5* OL across the board.
We have to be lights out on offense and win the turnover battle, IMO.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I’m not worried about offense. I’m worried about our defense. Will Choker choke the game away to his daddy dwag?

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Our defense against their OL is my biggest worry. We couldn’t stop A&M’s rushing attack nor the Cawks, so I don’t hold out much hope for stuffing a team with 5* OL across the board.
We have to be lights out on offense and win the turnover battle, IMO.

I understand where you're coming from. But the total of the dwag OL has not equaled the sum of the parts to this point in the season. Remember, they struggled mightily against Arky and UK, neither of which has anyone's idea of a great DL. There is plenty of angst in dawgpatch regarding the O in general, including the OL. Just sayin.'

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
They scored all of 14 against UK. Sorry If I don't see their offense as some unstoppable force. the dwags are down this year talent-wise and suffering some significant attrition from injuries so there's a reasonable chance of a W. But the best Mullinz can hope for is a Butters-like "SEC East Champs" coffee mug because there's zero chance of this team beating Bama if we do squeak our way into the SECCG.
You're just not getting it. No one thinks their offense is something great. But its serviceable, better than the cocks who we let score a boatload, and with a much better run game than any team we've played including the one we gave up a million yards and lost to.

A dwag O doesn't need to be all world to beat us. They just need to be serviceable and our pathetic D may do the rest. They have proven to be serviceable. You better hope your boy Todd has a magic wand.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
They are going to try to win with their o line and run game, extend drives by keeping themselves in 3rd and short situations (I know, right??) in an effort to limit our offensive possessions.
Fat Todd is going to have to win the chess match.
I think our offense matches up well if we can avoid pressure and not turn it over.
Pretty much the same formula for winning any game. However, I do think scoring quickly will be key.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
They are going to try to win with their o line and run game, extend drives by keeping themselves in 3rd and short situations (I know, right??) in an effort to limit our offensive possessions.
Fat Todd is going to have to win the chess match.
I think our offense matches up well if we can avoid pressure and not turn it over.
Pretty much the same formula for winning any game. However, I do think scoring quickly will be key.

We had the lead for about 3 minutes in the third quarter of 2018 after Franks hit Swain(yes, actually Swain) for a TD. They marched right down and retook the lead. Outside of that roughly 3 minute window, we’ve trailed the entirety of the past 3 contests, which as I posted yesterday, plays right into Smart’s hand. They’ve also outscored us 47-10 in the last three first halves. It’s scoring early and scoring consistently that keeps them off balance and forces KS to create. We can’t be playing catch up all afternoon again. It won’t work.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
We had the lead for about 3 minutes in the third quarter of 2018 after Franks hit Swain(yes, actually Swain) for a TD. They marched right down and retook the lead. Outside of that roughly 3 minute window, we’ve trailed the entirety of the past 3 contests, which as I posted yesterday, plays right into Smart’s hand. They’ve also outscored us 47-10 in the last three first halves. It’s scoring early and scoring consistently that keeps them off balance and forces KS to create. We can’t be playing catch up all afternoon again. It won’t work.
I agree, but we are much better on offense this year. However, we haven't faced a defense anything like ugly. That is why I think we need to score quickly and make the most of every opportunity.
And one thing about Mullen, it seems that he doesn't understand how to run the ball without running his QB. If we're going to put EJ or AR in the game, maybe let them Chuck it down the field for once.
But I would rather get the rush yards with a running back, like Pierce or Wright.
And don't take Trask out of the game!

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I agree, but we are much better on offense this year. However, we haven't faced a defense anything like ugly. That is why I think we need to score quickly and make the most of every opportunity.
And one thing about Mullen, it seems that he doesn't understand how to run the ball without running his QB. If we're going to put EJ or AR in the game, maybe let them Chuck it down the field for once.
But I would rather get the rush yards with a running back, like Pierce or Wright.

In 3 seasons, I’ve yet to see the “package” thing work. It was one thing when Franks was bumbling his way through a drive. But since Trask has had the O, we’ve absolutely killed drives and momentum about a dozen times in big games by trying to force Jones in. We do that Saturday and I can just about guarantee we’re staring at a 4thstraight.

Btw, if anyone has had the misfortune of watching the Philadelphia offense this year, you’ve likely noticed that it’s equally maddening and just as ineffective when professional teams/athletes do it. That should tell you a lot about whether it’s a viable strategy or not. We have RBs and a solid OL, plus a legitimate down field passing threat. Line up and run the ball with our backs.

Last edited:

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
In 3 seasons, I’ve yet to see the “package” thing work. It was one thing when Franks was bumbling his way through a drive. But since Trask has had the O, we’ve absolutely killed drives and momentum about a dozen times in big games by trying to force Jones in. We do that Saturday and I can just about guarantee we’re staring at a 4thstraight.

Btw, if anyone has had the misfortune of watching the Philadelphia offense this year, you’ve likely noticed that it’s equally maddening and just as ineffective when professional teams/athletes do it. That should tell you a lot about whether it’s a viable strategy or not. We have RBs and a solid OL, plus a legitimate down field passing threat. Line up and run the ball with our backs.
The issue is the center to QB exchange; it almost always negatively affects the timing and rhythm of the play, and gives the defense that split-second advantage which outweighs the numbers or matchup advantage of the play.
Things don't always work in a game situation they way the do in practice.
In a game, you are in a very tense situation; emotions and adrenaline are running high, and the center is thinking more about the man in front of him more than the QB behind him. That is why we often see high or off snaps (to the side) in those situations.
This is especially true when you have a young center that has not had the reps.
Even with an experienced center and QB, when you switch to another QB, and combine it with a highly tense situation, it a recipe for disaster.
Yes, it worked with Tebow back in 06, but that was a very good center and Tebow, which was taller than Leak. That makes a difference as well, because a center will tend to snap the ball higher in those situations.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Line up and run the ball with our backs.
It just isnt in our playbook. We are year three and the second year of a pro style QB. If it hasnt changed by now, the run package isnt changing.

We have a couple of inside and outside zones.

Almost everything else is an option, counter option, inside options, outside options, "speed" options.

Our best packages are some RPOs and not your grandad's RPO. The option part determines whether the QB gives to back or pulls it and hits a receiver (usually a slant or something attacking the defender who should be in a dilemma of defending a particular run gap or defending the pass).

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
It just isnt in our playbook. We are year three and the second year of a pro style QB. If it hasnt changed by now, the run package isnt changing.

Almost everything else is an option, counter option, inside options, outside options, "speed" options.

Our best packages are some RPOs and not your grandad's RPO. The option part determines whether the QB gives to back or pulls it and hits a receiver (usually a slant or something attacking the defender who should be in a dilemma of defending a particular run gap or defending the pass).

I get that. And I’m ok with those limitations in run plays if they’re working, which they have been. And the fact that Trask can also throw accurately from those RPO plays, or occasionally keep for a decent run makes even that aspect ok as well. I just don’t like the unnecessary switching of QBs in critical situations.

The ones that sometimes talk about ‘06 with Tebow and Leak are sort of misremembering. Tim was generally brought in on short yard plays when we desperately needed a battering ram. Rarely was he given 1st and 10 type settings with the game still in question. And even then I can think of several times he was stonewalled and a couple of critical fumbles that almost cost us. But in any event, he was absolutely needed and critical to us winning a couple of big games because we couldn’t run effectively and didn’t have nearly the passing attack we have now. If Jones or AR didn’t take a single snap last week, we still win big. Totally different situation than ‘06.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014

Well hopefully that will change. We didn't think that Mullen would incorporate the vertical passing game with Trask, but it appears that he has adjusted somewhat to Trask's talents and the receivers.
The running game is the most crucial part now; can Mullen get it going without hinging on his QB, and can we get the o line to nut up and block?
It will be interesting to watch. Hopefully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb