***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs Auburn***

BadowGator

The Chuckler
Sep 16, 2016
I'm not talking about running the option, I'm talking about accepting some dropoff in the passing game in favor of a QB who can scramble.

I expect to see both. Even more so of EJ if Trasks gets us a decent lead. Sounds crazy to do that, but he gives us a better option in the run game if clock management becomes a factor.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Some Auburn fan was claiming we haven't even beat a team yet this season that has a win over a power 5 conference team.

That's a meaningful stat...just not after week 5. Most P5 teams have a few non-P5 games early on, and then they've played us and obviously lost. So, removing the non-P5 teams from the discussion, um and ut have only played one other game against a P5 team, and Uk is at two. Yes, it would look better if they'd won, but again, the sample size is ridiculously small and would be just as deceiving as if they claimed our P5 opponents were undefeated against P5 teams.

At this point, Aub's P5 opponents have only played eight fellow P5 teams, winning just 3 of those contests.

I know it's not you saying this, so I'm not debating you personally. Just showing it's not something worth sweating.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
That Miss State QB was able to run on them some while their RB had no real success running on Auburn. Might be a good time to run Jones some. I think Jones might be the only way to get some real rushing yards on them regardless of the scrambling angle.
I have a feeling we see a lot more offensively than we’ve seen all year. Trask with some option plays and using his legs in general I’d bet on happening.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Anybody else think that because of Auburn's defensive line (one of the best in the country I hear) that we see quite a bit of EJ instead of Trask?

Mond was 9 for 26 on rushes (2.9 ypr), but eliminating sacks, he was 6 for 42 (7 ypr).

Miss st QB went 16 for 89 rushing (5.6 ypr), but he was sacked for a loss of 9 and had a run for negative 11 (didn’t see it so not sure how that happened). Eliminate those and he was 14 for 109 (7.8 ypr). Another caveat, MSU was so far down I wonder if it impacted Auburn’s defense.

Kent st QBs were 16 for 60, but 5 of those were sacks and I didn’t bother to calculate totals, though about 30 yards would make sense. That makes them around 12 for 90 yds.

Tulane QBs were 10 for 67. No sacks.

Maybe you are on to something and Auburn is susceptible to a running game with a legit running qb.

Auburn’s overall ypr allowed on the season is only 3.09. Ours is better but the competition has definitely been easier for us.

Against only QBs, less sacks, Auburn gives up 7.33 ypr.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
I expect to see both. Even more so of EJ if Trasks gets us a decent lead. Sounds crazy to do that, but he gives us a better option in the run game if clock management becomes a factor.
One thing about it, if we don't what to expect Auburn doesn't either and that's a good thing!

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I call it like I see it, I don’t make predictions on hopes and dreams like you do.
Florida has won 9 straight games and is top 10 in the nation. That's a fact, not hopes and dreams. You think we suck balls, I don't. You think Mississippi State is some kind of a powerhouse, I don't. You think Nix is a Heisman contender, I don't.

We'll see what happens.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If we are really full force with players coming back, I like our chances.
I think we see a reasonable share of both Trask and EJ on Sat.
I think they are beatable in the air and with a mobile QB.
Question for me is how well do we stop their running game...Will our secondary step up...and how many times with Grantham blow 3rd downs :lol:

I think we have a shot at this one, and it will go a long way in telling us if we have a shot against LSU and UGA.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Florida has won 9 straight games and is top 10 in the nation. That's a fact, not hopes and dreams. You think we suck balls, I don't. You think Mississippi State is some kind of a powerhouse, I don't. You think Nix is a Heisman contender, I don't.

Just so we’re clear, are you talking about Bo or this Kyle kid again?

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not talking about running the option, I'm talking about accepting some dropoff in the passing game in favor of a QB who can scramble.

That’s the type of thinking muscrap did I’m picking Driskel over Brissett. You beat pressure by having a QB that can make quick decisions and get the ball out to the right place not by running around hoping you can make a bunch of scramble plays.

BadowGator

The Chuckler
Sep 16, 2016
The most important takeaway from our Towson game IMO was coming away unscathed and healthy. Did AU sustain anything major in their MSST match that we know of?

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016

We'll see what happens.

I have made no comments about Nix being awesome, Miss St being awesome, or us sucking. Once again you just make sh!t up. I said a few weeks ago that we were overrated and likely lose 3-4 games "IF" we didn't figure out how to start running the ball after you were crowning us a playoff team for beating the WORST Tennessee team in my lifetime. Obviously after 5 games of play you've been thoroughly impressed with what you saw and I haven't been.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That’s the type of thinking muscrap did I’m picking Driskel over Brissett. You beat pressure by having a QB that can make quick decisions and get the ball out to the right place not by running around hoping you can make a bunch of scramble plays.
Maybe, but the bottom line is that a QB who can take off and run the ball is a different animal to defend than a QB who can't/doesn't.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe, but the bottom line is that a QB who can take off and run the ball is a different animal to defend than a QB who can't/doesn't.

True but if he can’t pass well they can spy that all day. Until he can prove he can pass every knows what’s coming when he’s in there. I hope Mullen has a few tricks for him when he does. Haven’t seen much of that this year

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

If I were to guess, I'd say we'll see Mullen shape his calls based on that and try to keep them off balance. So I don't think it will be so much out of necessity, but to make them think differently from time to time. That's basically what we ran(practiced) against ut.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I have made no comments about Nix being awesome, Miss St being awesome, or us sucking. Once again you just make sh!t up. I said a few weeks ago that we were overrated and likely lose 3-4 games "IF" we didn't figure out how to start running the ball after you were crowning us a playoff team for beating the WORST Tennessee team in my lifetime. Obviously after 5 games of play you've been thoroughly impressed with what you saw and I haven't been.
Ox goes mental when he turns into a pumper. He can’t fathom anything other than blowing out our opponent.
When he turns back into a dumper (hopefully not anytime soon), he makes Law look like an amateur.
:lol:

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Trask will start, but the way he holds the ball when his targets are all covered, which is a credit to him in that he doesn't just throw it out on a prayer, but he should throw it away more often, he is likely to take some pretty big hits in this game. In fact, late hits from the Barn wouldn't surprise me at all. So Trask might need to take some plays off whether we plan for it or not. Even if he stays upright, bringing in EJ is going to be a good strategy because it will give us numbers on plays where Mullen is insistent on running option. Not to mention, he is the more talented QB overall including his arm, so it's not like it's a big drop-off when he is in.

Trask has definitely done enough to earn the start and will play the majority of the snaps if he stays healthy, but this game is going to be "no holds barred", so I expect big contributions from all of the team leaders including EJ.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
When it is third and fourteen, I was never particularly impressed w those seven yard scrambles anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.