***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs Charleston Southern***

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I did study the opening gimme games fora a few years way back. I was surprised to find, that if you were sloppy with the ball in the then two consecutive games against gimme type opponents that tended to carry over for the whole season.

What i am hoping to see this week is:

1. A balanced offense at least in yards if not plays.

2. A credible OL performance. They really need to look good against an opponent like this to hope to improve and be credible later the season (month).

3. No DB breakdowns. This will be a young defensive backfield. They have shown to be talented, but they need to be consistent play after play and not give up long scores against such an opponent. And even the backups who will probably have to play some key downs this season need to not give up long plays.

4. Some rational use of the RBs. Something that looks like a rotation so guys can get a feel for the game and become more productive as a game goes along.

5. A good pass rush. If UF gets a lead as expected, then there should be plenty of pass rushing opportunities.

6. The front seven handling business and not getting gashed on 7ish or more yard runs even if they are infrequent.

7. Solid punting and place kicking.

8. Solid QB play so that the QB or QBs can build up confidence including in their ability to pass in this offense. QB play will need to be built up week by week this season, but it must start week one.

9. A coaching plan to accomplish these goals. Some logical way to develop the QBs. So don't just go with bubble screens because they are there. Find a variety of things for the QB to build stats with. Find a logical way to use the RBs. Maybe use two until the lead is outsize then work in the others. Sure take some chances on defense, but make your your DBs are not going to give up and big scoring play or your front seven is sound and not subject to being gashed. Don't try a 55 yard FG, get your guy a 25 to 35 yarder to build confidence. Don't go for it on 4th down all the time, let your punter and place kicker build up confidence.

Let me add:

10. Sound tackling. Nobody needs to try to blow up someone in this game to gain an edge, this opponent comes in intimidated. I do NOT want to see guys missing tackles trying to blow up an opponent with the ball.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Fake an illness.

Wife’s oldest brother was getting married during UF-barn game back in 97. I believe that’s the game where Travis McGriff scored TDs rushing, receiving and passing. Our second daughter was less than 1, a little sick and crying enough that my wife was worried about taking her to the wedding. I said I’d stay behind to keep an eye on the rug rat. She KNEW what I was up to, but also knew it was the best option. It was worth the extra effort to watch the good guys win @ the barn!

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
My cousin (close knit family) planned her wedding on a Gator game day in the 90s. Pretty sure it was against Arkansas. Needless to say, most of us went to the game instead of the wedding.
Even though the marriage lasted less than a presidential term, she’s never forgiven us. :lol:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
My cousin (close knit family) planned her wedding on a Gator game day in the 90s. Pretty sure it was against Arkansas. Needless to say, most of us went to the game instead of the wedding.
Even though the marriage lasted less than a presidential term, she’s never forgiven us. :lol:

Now the real issue is is your priors about the length the marriage would last affect your decision?

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Wife’s oldest brother was getting married during UF-barn game back in 97. I believe that’s the game where Travis McGriff scored TDs rushing, receiving and passing. Our second daughter was less than 1, a little sick and crying enough that my wife was worried about taking her to the wedding. I said I’d stay behind to keep an eye on the rug rat. She KNEW what I was up to, but also knew it was the best option. It was worth the extra effort to watch the good guys win @ the barn!

Believe that was Quezzie that did that, we also sacked the Auburn QB like 10 times in that game. This was right after the LSU loss and I think Doug Johnson was benched or maybe suspended and we played with Brindise at QB.

Last edited:

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Go Gators. Just glad football is back......

51-9 Good Guys

Has Mullen announced that Trask is starting?? :brad:

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Believe that was Quezzie that did that, we also sacked the Auburn QB like 10 times in that game. This was right after the LSU loss and I think Doug Johnson was benched or maybe suspended and we played with Brindise at QB.

I stand corrected! Yes it was Quezzie. TFr Palmer started, but SOS put Nacho Noah in shortly after the second half started when Palmer threw his 2nd INT.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
35-17

Franks sucks it up
Trask sucks it up
EJ runs the O effectively and allows us to pull away late
D scores twice on either Int and/or ST

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I stand corrected! Yes it was Quezzie. TFr Palmer started, but SOS put Nacho Noah in shortly after the second half started when Palmer threw his 2nd INT.

Forgot all about Palmer playing, but yeah that's right. Stoops sure did put together a great defense for the few years he was here.

FlGator19382

Oct 7, 2017
Our Running backs should be enough to secure a blowout and if our offensive line somehow has trouble getting push against Charleston Southern then we have some serious issues. I think the score will be something like 41-3. Go Gators!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Our Running backs should be enough to secure a blowout and if our offensive line somehow has trouble getting push against Charleston Southern then we have some serious issues. I think the score will be something like 41-3. Go Gators!
Do you know much about the option?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I got to go to my cousins wedding at 5:30 on game day, hoping to get out of it with my wife being 37 weeks pregnant, but hell no she's put in to go. Hopefully I'll be back by the 2nd quarter.

Get real. Always wearing long pants. Thursday tie a really tight tourniquet around your calf. Limp & say you stumped your foot. It'll swell plenty by Saturday. Ohh my, my foot is killing me. (P.S. Rent a wheelchair.)

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
We might have to watch out for this team to hang in there in the first half more than we realize. Their coach says the QB that is going to be starting this year has "incredible" skills.
Ranked 3152 on the composite. 6ft/190lbs. Not holding my breath for a breakout performance against our defense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.