Game Thread ***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs FSU***

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The conservative, lack of a killer instinct, weak sauce passing game means we will be good.
You really don't think that will change at all? What we see this year is what we get forever, really?

Besides, what you just described is UGA, and they seem to be winning a lot of games.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
You really don't think that will change at all? What we see this year is what we get forever, really?

Besides, what you just described is UGA, and they seem to be winning a lot of games.
I freely admit to not knowing enough about the intricacies of complex offenses, but how much of what many are calling a simple offense could be a result of what Richardson can handle and can’t? I’m not trying to be a CBN apologist - and can’t deny that I love what he has done across the board thus far - but I’m definitely in the camp of giving the guy some time to wait and see. The last three halves of football have been pretty dominant, despite having left a lot of points on the field. And while some will no doubt be quick to point out that it was against two not very good teams, earlier in the season we struggled to beat a very bad USF team and lost to a very average, at best, UK squad.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
There are a bunch of people hung up on the "weak sauce passing game", and seem to place more importance on it than actually WINNING the game itself. In fact, Wuerffel here says that we can't be "great" with a weak passing game, but UGA is currently dominating college football with running and defense. They slaughtered UT recently, crushing a passing offense that appeared unstoppable.

This is really all because we were spoiled with 12 years of the Fun N Gun. I personally don't mind a dominant running game, as there's something about steamrolling an opponent on the ground while making their shattered defense beg for mercy that's extremely satisfying to me.

However, I already said it, I've seen a lot of signs that Napier likes to pass a lot more than some seem to think he does. I think once he has a passer he's comfortable with, we're going to pass the ball plenty. It won't be the Fun N Gun, but it won't be Muschamp passing games, either.

In short, let's just win games - that's the most fun part.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Let me put it another way. During the Spurrier and Meyer years, we won 82% of our games (187-41-1), 8 SEC crowns and 3 NC crowns. During those years, we won so much and so regularly we could bitch about HOW we won and why we'd like to win in different ways.

Since 2011, our record is 84-48 (63%) and have won zero crowns.

At this point, I don't care if we win with the wishbone or the Run and Shoot. I don't care if we win by a point or by 60. We just need to win, and keep winning in any way possible. After we win enough to become true contenders again, I think then we can start bitching about the way we do it.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
We’ve been reduced (and them, too, for that matter) to playing the Noles on Friday night. WTF, what a sad state of affairs!

Now that I’ve gotten that off my chest, fcvk FSU! I hope we kick the shiiit out of them by 50+ points.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
We’ve been reduced (and them, too, for that matter) to playing the Noles on Friday night. WTF, what a sad state of affairs!

Now that I’ve gotten that off my chest, fcvk FSU! I hope we kick the shiiit out of them by 50+ points.

I’m actually a huge fan of this. It’s not some random Friday. Huge games like Aub/Ala have been periodically played on Friday after Thanksgiving. I think Tex/A&M, and Lsu/Ark were also regularly played then.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Friday, Saturday, I will be at the deer camp either way.

I will listen on the satellite boom box I suppose.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I’m actually a huge fan of this. It’s not some random Friday. Huge games like Aub/Ala have been periodically played on Friday after Thanksgiving. I think Tex/A&M, and Lsu/Ark were also regularly played then.

You know who plays football games on Friday nights? High school teams.

Arkansas, Texas & TAM (LSU to a slightly lesser extent) have all largely been irrelevant for the past 50 year.

And most importantly, while the Friday after Turkey day was the tradition for those teams, our tradition was playing FSU the Saturday after. Rest assured, if we were still a NC contender the past 12 years, they wouldn’t have made this switch. I’m not a fan of it.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
You know who plays football games on Friday nights? High school teams.

Arkansas, Texas & TAM (LSU to a slightly lesser extent) have all largely been irrelevant for the past 50 year.

And most importantly, while the Friday after Turkey day was the tradition for those teams, our tradition was playing FSU the Saturday after. Rest assured, if we were still a NC contender the past 12 years, they wouldn’t have made this switch. I’m not a fan of it.

I have no doubt it’s a tactic both schools used to put this game more in the spotlight than it’s been the past 12 years or so. I just don’t find it to be a bad thing. Playing on Saturday wouldn’t change the perception of the way the past decade has gone any more than playing Friday does.

Btw, Ala/Aub played on Friday in 2009 and 2010, as defending national champs and eventual national champs in each case. Lsu played in 2007 as eventual national champs, 4 years removed from their last title. Texas played A&M in 2004 and 2005, both as a Top-5 team, winning it all in 2005. Again, it’s not some random October Friday night game. It’s always been a great football day.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014

Damn you for making me say something good about the ball-licking dwags, but they are 3rd in total offense and 9th in passing offense. We have a long way to go to catch up to them on both sides of the ball.

Still, I’m encouraged with both recruiting and improved play the last couple games. Let’s take care of vandy and make this matchup as meaningful as possible and stomp the nulls.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I have no doubt it’s a tactic both schools used to put this game more in the spotlight than it’s been the past 12 years or so. I just don’t find it to be a bad thing. Playing on Saturday wouldn’t change the perception of the way the past decade has gone any more than playing Friday does.

Btw, Ala/Aub played on Friday in 2009 and 2010, as defending national champs and eventual national champs in each case. Lsu played in 2007 as eventual national champs, 4 years removed from their last title. Texas played A&M in 2004 and 2005, both as a Top-5 team, winning it all in 2005. Again, it’s not some random October Friday night game. It’s always been a great football day.
:exactly: Thank you and you beat me to it on the Friday games. I love Football with a tryptophan hangover.

Definitely a spotlight for them to perhaps get the recruits with this game. Have no problem with it.

Gatorhunter

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
One positive would be that some of the recruits that halfassu would like to have at the game will probably be playing in playoff games that night.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Colorado vs Nebraska was a huge deal when both teams were powerhouses and that one was always played on Friday after Thanksgiving too.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Colorado vs Nebraska was a huge deal when both teams were powerhouses and that one was always played on Friday after Thanksgiving too.

I almost mentioned that one as well as I can remember watching that game multiple times at the ESPN club on Friday.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
There are a bunch of people hung up on the "weak sauce passing game", and seem to place more importance on it than actually WINNING the game itself. In fact, Wuerffel here says that we can't be "great" with a weak passing game, but UGA is currently dominating college football with running and defense. They slaughtered UT recently, crushing a passing offense that appeared unstoppable.

This is really all because we were spoiled with 12 years of the Fun N Gun. I personally don't mind a dominant running game, as there's something about steamrolling an opponent on the ground while making their shattered defense beg for mercy that's extremely satisfying to me.

However, I already said it, I've seen a lot of signs that Napier likes to pass a lot more than some seem to think he does. I think once he has a passer he's comfortable with, we're going to pass the ball plenty. It won't be the Fun N Gun, but it won't be Muschamp passing games, either.

In short, let's just win games - that's the most fun part.
I love watching a badass defense and a dominant running game. It is nice to be able to pass when you need too, though. Chump couldn’t ever figure that out and wasted one of the baddest defenses we ever had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator