***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs Kentucky***

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Excuse for Grantham? I think he always has some games where he gets the defense in trouble with his stuff.

What stats point to that? Some easy pass plays Wilson made? Wilson is probably only better than him due to his running ability and not his passing. That guy who started over him at Troy before injury was a pretty good QB last season.

Last edited:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
The reality is we should kill them. If we exchanged rosters, there’s not a person here who thinks we would beat them - especially with a back up QB in his first start.
If you look at their last few recruiting classes, they signed a bunch of guys I suspect we never even offered - and I’m talking about guys from the state of Florida.
Will we kill them, is, of course, a different question. We shall see, but based on talent alone.....
Like others, I’m thinking a low score affair where we are on the edge of our seats until the clock reads all zeros.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Mullen failing to enact revenge on KY would be a disaster, can't beat them then you have to think Auburn, LSU, uga and Mizzy are also losses, that's 5, that's a freaking bad season.

It's also pretty close to a worse case scenario - predicated upon a series of somewhat far-reaching assumptions and leavened with just a pinch of hysteria. Try to relax. A very good season that looks something like last year is much more likely than a five loss shytt fest that starts out with losing at KY. I know some people are more "cautious" or "naturally pessimistic" than others. And there are also those of us who will never accept DM, or FF, or the RPO. Throw in the admittedly painful recruiting picture, and there is cause for concern in the minds of many. I also include my self in that group. But drawing a straight line from a loss in September to a debacle in Nov/Dec is, IMO, beyond the pale.

Fortunately, we don't HAVE to test either theory if we just beat KY. I say Gators win 31-13 and everybody, myself included, will be griping about something. We are still basically in the dark as to just how good this team may eventually be. The UM game was an ordeal we found a way to survive. Most of the UF teams of the last decade would not have been so resilient. Although that opening game did cause legitimate concerns and some unwelcome controversy, it showed that these kids do have some talent - and the will to win. I choose to view game 2 as a success primarily due to the contributions of the many freshmen who played. Add to that the fact that after a 10-year sentence in offense hell, I don't really think 45-0 sucks all that bad. Maybe I've been down so damn long it just looks like up to me.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Where’s Catmania?
Lost somewhere in the deepest wilds of Ol' Kaintuck, no doubt. Hopefully he will eventually stumble in, unless he's in jail or something. Things can get kinda rough up in them thar hills, or so I'm told.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Smith is no stranger to stepping in as a backup quarterback.

Smith filled in last season at Troy for starter Kaleb Barker, who was lost for the year to a knee injury in the sixth game of the 2018 season. Smith went 5-2 as a starter, completing 144 of 229 passes for 1,669 yards and 14 touchdowns while also rushing for 191 yards and a score.

He completed 18 of 22 attempts for 317 yards and a touchdown in a 26-16 win over Louisiana-Lafayette. Smith completed 21 of 28 passes for 287 yards and a touchdown in the Trojans' 35-21 victory over Georgia Southern and was named Most Valuable Player of the Dollar General Bowl after leading Troy to a 42-32 win over Buffalo where he completed 31 of 44 passes for 320 yards and four touchdowns.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If you look at their last few recruiting classes, they signed a bunch of guys I suspect we never even offered - and I’m talking about guys from the state of Florida.

I know Mark Stoops hasn't produced enough UK good seasons, not so far. But is he showing up as a good HC? Building upward.?
Last year, his 6th year he goes 10-3 but after 2-10 ... 5-7 ... 5-7 ... 7-6 ... 7-6 ....= 38-39 ??....
Will Stoops have UK playing like a 10 win team? They won't be the Kentucky of old.
And that's why we need to solidly beat them ... with a high score. (Stoops is from the defensive tree.) Beat 'em with our 2nd year HC.
Go Gators -- ESPN .... 7 PM.

Deserves coupla' more likes for your diplomatic use of 386.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
This is Kentucky's front 4 rotation ( I bolded some of the sizes for effect!):

NOSE GUARD: Quinton Bohanna (6-4, 361, Jr.); Marquan McCall (6-3, 371, So.)

DEFENSIVE TACKLE: Calvin Taylor (6-9, 300, Sr.); Phil Hoskins (6-5, 310, Sr.)

DEFENSIVE END: TJ Carter (6-4, 287, Sr.); Kordell Looney (6-3, 292, Jr.)

HYBRID DEFENSIVE END/LINEBACKER: Josh Paschal (6-3, 284, So.); Jordan Wright (6-5, 238, So.)

That’s a thick front. I expect we’ll use a lot of quick passes outside, screens and jet sweeps to get around them and make them run sideline to sideline. We haven’t gotten push yet so we will probably try just enough to keep them honest.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Kentucky’s only chance was that QB pulling **** out of his ass again like last year...not happening this year.

We made him look like a Heisman contender by rushing past him, losing gap discipline and young DBs getting torched. Those issues should be fixed, even our young DBs are better than last year’s.

This QB is pretty accurate and experienced. We’ve got to make him very uncomfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.