***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs LSU***

What will be the outcome of the Florida vs LSU game?

• Florida wins by 1-9

Votes: 31 48.4%
  • Florida wins by 10+

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • Florida loses by 1-9

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Florida loses by 10+

Votes: 7 10.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
I have no idea what this half-team is going to do against LSU on Saturday. I also know that this is not an original thought, but having half of a top-ten quality team is just about as bad as having nothing at all. We're just good enough on O to entertain thoughts of winning 7 or even 8 games (including a win Sat.) - and so mind-bogglingly bad on D that the rational portion of my mind says 5-5, or possibly even worse - with yet another L this week. I'm finished hoping for the best, it's a futile and vexing waste of time and energy. It's moments like this that I seek solace in the musings of Bob Dylan: "When you got nothin,' you got nothin' to lose." It seems that until DM does his duty or gets his ass fired for refusing to do so, numb pessimism isn't that bad after all. At least it doesn't hurt as much as unfounded optimism. DM is on thin ice and TG is already at the bottom of the phukking pond.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If we go 5-5, it all but ensures a sub-500 season next year, and what would be a 5th straight in Jax. Mullen’s gone if that happens.
I was told (by morons) that he will get 5 to 10 more years no matter how many times he loses to Ugly.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER Lower Expectations.
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
I was told (by morons) that he will get 5 to 10 more years no matter how many times he loses to Ugly.
You just added FIVE MORE YEARS....
You want another FIVE?

fb1_bb7da01017bb1fff8b139617.jpg

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
I don't think we can keep up with them in the scoring category. And we will score alot.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

The same people who have said that Mullen deserves 6 years when he started because of the mess McElwain left him..... How many fans are blaming what we are seeing on the field on McElwain still?

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
The same people who have said that Mullen deserves 6 years when he started because of the mess McElwain left him..... How many fans are blaming what we are seeing on the field on McElwain still?

This defense is entirely Mullen’s and Grantham’s. It does appear that defenses are generally looser than normal (for example Bama-Miss) but OUR defense should be better prepared than others regardless of the circumstances. We should be showing a better result from the culture shift enacted over the last 3 years. The offense is, the defense is decidedly not.

The DL is showing the depth and size issues that come from recruiting 17 Buck-types and not enough thick DE’s and DT’s. Ditto our lack of inside LBs - it feels like the Reid Fleming era. And our lack of quality safeties means offenses can blow the cap off it anytime they choose.

But there are also assignment, focus and technique issues. I keep seeing guys locking up with blockers while backs run right by them. Rushers repeatedly running past the QB. No one drifting out with a RB or TE in the flat. Others seem lost in space, defending everything and no one. We’ve gone from 3rd & Grantham to 1st, 2nd 3rd and even 4th & Grantham. A few pieces (Cox, Elam, maybe Davis) look like they know what they are doing.

And it’s not like 2007, when we were suffering through the learning curves of Joe Haden et al. These are mainly 3rd-5th year players screwing up, left and right.

All that said, an SECw road loss doesn’t end the season. Every goal remains. I hope they can improve enough game by game but so far its just not happening.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This defense is entirely Mullen’s and Grantham’s. It does appear that defenses are generally looser than normal (for example Bama-Miss) but OUR defense should be better prepared than others regardless of the circumstances. We should be showing a better result from the culture shift enacted over the last 3 years. The offense is, the defense is decidedly not.

The DL is showing the depth and size issues that come from recruiting 17 Buck-types and not enough thick DE’s and DT’s. Ditto our lack of inside LBs - it feels like the Reid Fleming era. And our lack of quality safeties means offenses can blow the cap off it anytime they choose.

But there are also assignment, focus and technique issues. I keep seeing guys locking up with blockers while backs run right by them. Rushers repeatedly running past the QB. No one drifting out with a RB or TE in the flat. Others seem lost in space, defending everything and no one. We’ve gone from 3rd & Grantham to 1st, 2nd 3rd and even 4th & Grantham. A few pieces (Cox, Elam, maybe Davis) look like they know what they are doing.

And it’s not like 2007, when we were suffering through the learning curves of Joe Haden et al. These are mainly 3rd-5th year players screwing up, left and right.

All that said, an SECw road loss doesn’t end the season. Every goal remains. I hope they can improve enough game by game but so far its just not happening.

Agree with just about everything you said here, the issue is we saw all the same issues for 3 years. Now we have a quicker strike offense (which surprising as all hell Mullen switched to) which now takes those issues we have seen for 3 years and made them worse because the defense is on the field longer as well.

In 2018 Kentucky, Missouri and UGA exposed the scheme while all the other teams in our division were also rebuilding. In 2019 Kentucky with a 3rd string quarterback, LSU (which exposed everyone) and UGA exposed us while the rest of our division was still rebuilding. Now in 2020, Mullen changed his offensive tune (thank fuching god) and we have an offensive system actually built for the pieces we have, but it has further exposed our schitty scheme and after the attrition of players leaving skill level. So instead of us eating so much clock with our new offensive system we are striking quicker and leaving are schitty defense scheme on the field longer. Couple this with more teams are coming out of their rebuilds, and have two seasons of tape on how we are going to run our defense not a good combination.

How much of the defensive numbers the first two year were due to Mullen's offensive scheme protecting them by being on the field longer? So not only got a schitty scheme and poor recruiting, but they are also on the field longer because of improvements on offense. This isn't a knock on the improvements on offense, the improvements just exposed the issues that were being covered previously.

Last edited:

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014

I agree wit the donk that he should be fired if he loses to the dawgs the 4th time. With the leadership we have (or the lack of) I am not sure he actually gets fired.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I agree wit the donk that he should be fired if he loses to the dawgs the 4th time. With the leadership we have (or the lack of) I am not sure he actually gets fired.

I prefer if it is after the 3rd time. 0-3 against your biggest rivals not a good look.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Agree with just about everything you said here, the issue is we saw all the same issues for 3 years. Now we have a quicker strike offense (which surprising as all hell Mullen switched to) which now takes those issues we have seen for 3 years and made them worse because the defense is on the field longer as well.

In 2018 Kentucky, Missouri and UGA exposed the scheme while all the other teams in our division were also rebuilding. In 2019 Kentucky with a 3rd string quarterback, LSU (which exposed everyone) and UGA exposed us while the rest of our division was still rebuilding. Now in 2020, Mullen changed his offensive tune (thank fuching god) and we have an offensive system actually built for the pieces we have, but it has further exposed our schitty scheme and after the attrition of players leaving skill level. So instead of us eating so much clock with our new offensive system we are striking quicker and leaving are schitty defense scheme on the field longer. Couple this with more teams are coming out of their rebuilds, and have two seasons of tape on how we are going to run our defense not a good combination.

How much of the defensive numbers the first two year were due to Mullen's offensive scheme protecting them by being on the field longer? So not only got a schitty scheme and poor recruiting, but they are also on the field longer because of improvements on offense. This isn't a knock on the improvements on offense, the improvements just exposed the issues that were being covered previously.
Makes you wonder if that’s not the reason Grantham doesn’t stay anywhere very long. By the third or fourth year, his opponents have charted his tendencies and his recruiting has caught up with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.