Game Thread ***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs Missouri***

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
And lets remember its game 5 of Napier's term and he didn't have zOoK recruiting for him before he got here like Meyer did. And lets also note that you can't remember how good STs were in 2005 yet you know it was a fanatical focus of Meyer throughout his tenure. We had 1 TD all season in 2005 on punt returns and none on kick off returns. Marcus Manson was our main kick returner and Vernell Brown was our main punt returner. There was nothing special at all about our special teams in 2005. So when you reference about how great our STs were during Meyer's tenure lets keep it a bit in the realm of reality and recognize that it didnt happen until he got his players. And can we stop comparing everything to Meyer? He burned out.
Excited Celebration GIF by Slanted Studios

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Vegas has Florida favored 11, is saying they'll win by 20 really going out on that much of a limb?
Given our recent history against Mizzou, I'll just be happy to come out with the win. If we crush them, I'll be drunk by Noon. If we somehow lose, I'll still probably drunk by Noon, maybe more.
Johnny Depp Drinking GIF

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
And lets remember its game 5 of Napier's term and he didn't have zOoK recruiting for him before he got here like Meyer did. And lets also note that you can't remember how good STs were in 2005 yet you know it was a fanatical focus of Meyer throughout his tenure. We had 1 TD all season in 2005 on punt returns and none on kick off returns. Marcus Manson was our main kick returner and Vernell Brown was our main punt returner. There was nothing special at all about our special teams in 2005. So when you reference about how great our STs were during Meyer's tenure lets keep it a bit in the realm of reality and recognize that it didnt happen until he got his players. And can we stop comparing everything to Meyer? He burned out.
There's more to special team than returns.

Blocked FGs and Punts also factor into the equation. And 2005 was special in that regards.

He put pressure on punt and FG teams on almost every play. That affects the other team (especially on the road).

Meyer set the benchmark for STs here at UF. Of course that will be the comparison. Especially when BN had the balls to name his unit "Game Changers" when he knows Meyers benchmark.

We are in the middle of BNs first season. Aggressive ST play would have been a nice indicator for the future. So far, I see meh.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
...So when you reference about how great our STs were during Meyer's tenure lets keep it a bit in the realm of reality and recognize that it didnt happen until he got his players....
This is true. Meyer stacked lots of star players hungry for playing time. He told them all in no uncertain terms that making Special Teams Plays is how you earn regular playing time. Being on special teams is how you moved up the depth chart. So it took a whole mess of talented young Gators chomping at the bit for PT to make our Special Teams Special.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
There's more to special team than returns.

Blocked FGs and Punts also factor into the equation. And 2005 was special in that regards.

He put pressure on punt and FG teams on almost every play. That affects the other team (especially on the road).

Meyer set the benchmark for STs here at UF. Of course that will be the comparison. Especially when BN had the balls to name his unit "Game Changers" when he knows Meyers benchmark.

We are in the middle of BNs first season. Aggressive ST play would have been a nice indicator for the future. So far, I see meh.
Maybe BN see's a ST that has the dangers of committing stupid penalties in an aggressive scheme, thus, gifting first down due to roughing the kicker, offsides or any other number a maladies that we've seen in the past including throwing shoes or blocking ones own team mate.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe BN see's a ST that has the dangers of committing stupid penalties in an aggressive scheme, thus, gifting first down due to roughing the kicker, offsides or any other number a maladies that we've seen in the past including throwing shoes or blocking ones own team mate.
I think that may be the case. That should be fixable though. Half-way through the season now. Time will tell.

Kevlo911

Oct 29, 2019
Special Teams - we have no depth. We have no speed. Meyer inherited both. Obviously if we had more fast/speedy people, they would not only try to block kicks but they would play some offense as well

next year things could change dramatically for ST

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I just figure if we're young, thin, inexperienced... whatever... we're the most likely to be that way on ST.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Given our recent history against Mizzou, I'll just be happy to come out with the win. If we crush them, I'll be drunk by Noon. If we somehow lose, I'll still probably drunk by Noon, maybe more.
Johnny Depp Drinking GIF
The game starts at noon.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Very commendable. It’s possible I’m reading too much into the picture, but I’m a little concerned this foundation is designed to only help fat girls with thigh tattoos. Would like some clarity on this.

Unfortunately this picture is very good representation of our country. Depending on who you listen to somewhere between 30-50% of Americans are obese or overweight to the level just below obesity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator