***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs South Carolina***

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
I really like the option mentioned by someone else of moving Wilson back to Star and Davis and Stewart back to safety.

Or Burney. Didnt they work him at star the last two years.
Marco didn’t look good there. He seemed lost a few times. And he’s not tackling anyone. Truth be told, Marco shouldn’t be a #1 corner. I haven’t seen that kinda play since his freshman year. Maybe throw Kair at star? But I’d prefer a ball hawking, thumper. Stewart should be ideal, but he’s never available.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Marco didn’t look good there. He seemed lost a few times. And he’s not tackling anyone. Truth be told, Marco shouldn’t be a #1 corner. I haven’t seen that kinda play since his freshman year. Maybe throw Kair at star? But I’d prefer a ball hawking, thumper. Stewart should be ideal, but he’s never available.
I did mean Elam.

several of the safeties would be ideal but not if you're going to play man zero most of the time.

gatorplank

Jul 28, 2017
I really like the option mentioned by someone else of moving Wilson back to Star and Davis and Stewart back to safety.

Or Burney. Didnt they work him at star the last two years.

It depends on the team. I was listening to coaching interviews and the coaching staff has stated that STAR is such a demanding position that they may put someone different at the position every week depending on the personnel they need to match up with. Burney could be there against a more physical downhill running team. I'm thinking Tennessee and South Carolina. Burney does not have the hips to cover a slot WR, though. He will get torched by most slot WR's in the SEC.

They will put a DB there against quicker slot receivers. McWilliams did not match up well with Moore last week, so maybe Brad Stewart is the better answer against slot WR's. I'm worried we may not have a serviceable experienced STAR on the roster. We may have to hope Stewart picks up the position and plays it well. If he doesn't pick it up, then we might need to move Wilson over to STAR. Maybe Kimbrough takes the other starting spot at CB in that scenario.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Could Diwun Black play star?
Your instincts are perfect. IMO he would be an ideal star (as would Burney Lil Reese and Trey Dean) in a normal system.

In Man1 or Man 0,which is what Fathead normally plays, and versus any team that plays three or more receivers, you basically have to play a nickel CB. You dont want to have a lightbacker/safety hybrid in man vs a slot receiver.

Black will likely be added to the list of the safeties we moved to LB., all failed experiments so far.

Last edited:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
This comment was from the SEC power rankings on 247. So glad this idiot is not our problem anymore.

Where Bud ranks South Carolina: 11th overall, 5th in the East

"Will Muschamp’s decision to kick a field goal down a touchdown late was a quintessential defensive head coach losing decision. The offense looked better than expected, though.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This was really good. Hope Trask does this again this weekend.

SOS used to run the same play endlessly until they stopped it. Then he threw to the area exposed when they double teamed or whatever, underneath the safeties if they went cover 3 or cover 4.

Ive never understood the mindset of "if a play works, circle it and come back to it in the fourth" and just keep running your options or whatever. I really like what Brian Johnson and Mullinz are cooking. Maybe w SOS adding spices?

It definitely isnt your daddy's Dan Mullin offense though.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This comment was from the SEC power rankings on 247. So glad this idiot is not our problem anymore.

Where Bud ranks South Carolina: 11th overall, 5th in the East

"Will Muschamp’s decision to kick a field goal down a touchdown late was a quintessential defensive head coach losing decision. The offense looked better than expected, though.
Yeah but at least he kept it close and is a tough out, like that guy at Iowa State. /ass squash

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Nothing l like more than seeing the back of the #12 and #13 jerseys flailing as they attempt to chase down a receiver from behind. At this point, I don't know, it just feels right.
if they're on the same tv screen, it's actually an improvement.

I was watching a couple plays last week where Stiner just froze, aparently in man (because his slot receiver ran free). He actually had defensive ends behind him. I'm not sure if he read run or what? But even if you read run you have to go with your receiver at least until you see the ball out for sure.

I don't think he was playing robber or high low because no one else took the receiver.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It depends on the team. I was listening to coaching interviews and the coaching staff has stated that STAR is such a demanding position that they may put someone different at the position every week depending on the personnel they need to match up with.
I get that they SAY that. I just havent seen them use an actual star (a lightbacker/safety hybrid). As Itraz says, we just run a nickel corner.

When we don't have the nickel on the field we usually have the SAM linebacker which was Moon, although he usually just blitzed to like the RUSH backer. He was listed as a starting sam linebacker but he didn't get to play but maybe 5% of the time.

Last edited:

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
SOS used to run the same play endlessly until they stopped it. Then he threw to the area exposed when they double teamed or whatever, underneath the safeties if they went cover 3 or cover 4.

Ive never understood the mindset of "if a play works, circle it and come back to it in the fourth" and just keep running your options or whatever. I really like what Brian Johnson and Mullinz are cooking. Maybe w SOS adding spices?

It definitely isnt your daddy's Dan Mullin offense though.

Ole Leach ran a total of 3 running plays and 6 pass plays...there’s no reason to get fancy if something is working...it’s why I can’t stand Malzhan

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Ole Leach ran a total of 3 running plays and 6 pass plays...there’s no reason to get fancy if something is working...it’s why I can’t stand Malzhan
Gus outsmarts himself wayyy too often.

One of my biggest pet peeves when I was coaching was letting other people call plays. There’s such a thing as getting too cute with the playcalling, and it always bites you in the ass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.