***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs Tennessee***

How many yards will Trask pass for against UT?

• 199 or less

Votes: 7 5.5%
  • 200 to 250

Votes: 56 44.1%
  • 251 to 299

Votes: 42 33.1%
  • 300 to 399

Votes: 21 16.5%
  • 400+

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So, is it fair to say Trask is a willing passer, whereas Franks was struggling? Honest question in general.

Just seeing this. I thought about that phrase myself. It works because of the context of 'willing runner,' but I think confident passer is more appropriate. ...or maybe courageous passer?

Whatever it is, I like it! :-)

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Just seeing this. I thought about that phrase myself. It works because of the context of 'willing runner,' but I think confident passer is more appropriate. ...or maybe courageous passer?

Whatever it is, I like it! :-)

I like it too. Statistically there is very little difference between Trask & Franks, but Trask just looks more in command, quicker reads & quicker release. Now we get to watch how he develops. His upside could be very high.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I like it too. Statistically there is very little difference between Trask & Franks, but Trask just looks more in command, quicker reads & quicker release. Now we get to watch how he develops. His upside could be very high.
Dude hasn’t started since middle school or something and he’s already on par with a guy who has started everywhere he has been. I’d think that’s a great thing for the future - imagine what he looks like with experience!

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Trask is hard for cynics to understand. He is a kid that does not follow the new social norm of going somewhere to enhance HIM. He stayed at that HS because he like it there. He learned how to play QB. His coaches said he could start at almost any other Texas HS. He could have left here easily to play somewhere. He has self admitted he followed his heart and what HE thought was best for him. Turns out he was right. Im sure this attitude is seen as a detriment to his character and ability to play QB and be a leader. A sane kid would have gone somewhere to PLAY because REAL competitors WANT to play. As it stands he may be the UF QB for almost two years.........Sounds like a stable human being that does his own drummer..............refreshing.........

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Not sure where else to pose this question, but was Rocky Top played even once during the game?
Yeah we were sitting in the West stands right across from the TN band on the student side. They cut loose with that nagging tune at least 10 times. They were playing Rocky Flop to celebrate first downs since the Vols weren't doing anything on the scoreboard.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Yeah we were sitting in the West stands right across from the TN band on the student side. They cut loose with that nagging tune at least 10 times. They were playing Rocky Flop to celebrate first downs since the Vols weren't doing anything on the scoreboard.
IT was loud at first. Then went away. The sound system was cranked up with the stuff they now play and that helped. THEY did play Smoke on The Water and that was appreciated by the likes of me and my ilk.............

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
Trask is hard for cynics to understand. He is a kid that does not follow the new social norm of going somewhere to enhance HIM. He stayed at that HS because he like it there. He learned how to play QB. His coaches said he could start at almost any other Texas HS. He could have left here easily to play somewhere. He has self admitted he followed his heart and what HE thought was best for him. Turns out he was right. Im sure this attitude is seen as a detriment to his character and ability to play QB and be a leader. A sane kid would have gone somewhere to PLAY because REAL competitors WANT to play. As it stands he may be the UF QB for almost two years.........Sounds like a stable human being that does his own drummer..............refreshing.........
Danny was very similar.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
IMO it ain't that the o-line can't run block for crap as you say, its that they are running blocking scheme that doesn't fit our players. I think a power blocking scheme with more of a power back (Pierce) will work better for us, at least with Trask taking the snaps.

Yeah ... sure, our run blocking scheme doesn't fit the players. Ok. Maybe you should pull Hevesy and Mullen aside, find a white board and school them. Dude ... before UT did the surrender cobra and was out of gas late in the 3rd qtr, Pierce and Perine looked exactly the same. Yes ... LP is a less contact shifty runner and DP is a bowling ball break tackles with speed type (I really like both of them) ... but there are no holes to line up. The DL shake our OL as soon as our RBs get near their gap. The right side of the OL is garbage. And tbh, there hasn't been much improvement since game 1. There is a lot to be happy about with our play and win on Saturday, but the OL continues to be a huge issue. LP is not a problem.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Danny was very similar.
Danny was an allstate and state champion QB. This might be the silliest comparison ever.

Danny's form was weird and his arm weak, like Morningweg weak.

Trash form is actually pretty picture perfect and his arm is strong, jist not freakish like Franks.

You should try to find another player who didnt play since middle school for a comparison. Of course, Im fairly certain there are none.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah ... sure, our run blocking scheme doesn't fit the players. Ok. Maybe you should pull Hevesy and Mullen aside, find a white board and school them. Dude ... before UT did the surrender cobra and was out of gas late in the 3rd qtr, Pierce and Perine looked exactly the same. Yes ... LP is a less contact shifty runner and DP is a bowling ball break tackles with speed type (I really like both of them) ... but there are no holes to line up. The DL shake our OL as soon as our RBs get near their gap. The right side of the OL is garbage. And tbh, there hasn't been much improvement since game 1. There is a lot to be happy about with our play and win on Saturday, but the OL continues to be a huge issue. LP is not a problem.
Maybe when I said our blocking scheme doesn’t fit the players I was referring to the linemen and quarterback!, not the running backs genius.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Maybe when I said our blocking scheme doesn’t fit the players I was referring to the linemen and quarterback!, not the running backs genius.

Duh ... I understood that ... maybe when I led with Hevesy in my comment I thought you would understand who I was talking about ... moron.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Duh ... I understood that ... maybe when I led with Hevesy in my comment I thought you would understand who I was talking about ... moron.
You just made a long winded diatribe about our running backs as if that was my point. Do everyone here a favor and EABOD.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
You just made a long winded diatribe about our running backs as if that was my point. Do everyone here a favor and EABOD.

You continue to act as if our OL are good when it is clear they are not. All you have to do is WATCH the game to see that they get BEAT on plays that have nothing to do with scheme. They are getting beat on running plays because they actually have to attack. It is a whole lot harder to influence your will on others than it is to defend a lane (pass blocking).

Sure ... I will concede ... our players arent the issue, it is our scheme. Our OL just arent good at any run blocking scheme.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You continue to act as if our OL are good when it is clear they are not. All you have to do is WATCH the game to see that they get BEAT on plays that have nothing to do with scheme. They are getting beat on running plays because they actually have to attack. It is a whole lot harder to influence your will on others than it is to defend a lane (pass blocking).

Sure ... I will concede ... our players arent the issue, it is our scheme. Our OL just arent good at any run blocking scheme.

The point is that certain players are better suited to certain schemes. A big slow guy isn’t going to be as good at pulls and stretches as a smaller, more athletic guy, but he may be better at straight ahead power blocking. Mullen is known for lots of complex movement at the line which ties into his option running attack, but like others have posted, with Trask back there and a very young line maybe it’s better to just go with more of a power scheme than the ballet he seems to prefer. It’s not like our guys can’t block, the same group that can’t open any holes to run have been giving our QBs plenty of time to throw.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
The point is that certain players are better suited to certain schemes. A big slow guy isn’t going to be as good at pulls and stretches as a smaller, more athletic guy, but he may be better at straight ahead power blocking. Mullen is known for lots of complex movement at the line which ties into his option running attack, but like others have posted, with Trask back there and a very young line maybe it’s better to just go with more of a power scheme than the ballet he seems to prefer. It’s not like our guys can’t block, the same group that can’t open any holes to run have been giving our QBs plenty of time to throw.

And .. it is easier to pass block than run block. The point is ... if you actually watch the LOS you will see that they aren't just getting beat because they are too slow to get to their assignment, they are getting beat consistently by their assignment. It isn't scheme ... its execution.

Look ... I am a huge hater on the baseline plays CDM runs. I like to see more of what you . But you seem to think that our players are getting thrown under the bus because they dont fit the scheme when in fact the scheme is there to give them an advantage against their assignment. Our OL just aren't good enough to go straight at the other side. They are getting beat by their assignments consistently as it is, even when they get to pull out and block downhill on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator