Game Thread ***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs Tennessee***

Lucius

Jan 25, 2023

I think Kingsley Eguakun coming back is underrated. He started 26 straight games and was a key part of the dominant rushing attack last year.

Jake Slaughter got dominated in camps as a recruit against highly rated lineman and hasn't shown anything yet that he will be an impact SEC player.

We saw last year how one guy not completing his assignment can derail the entire scheme with Brenton Cox. Offense should be similar, need 11 players to execute at a high level.

Hopefully, he can get push to open holes more regularly, leading to a more consistent rushing attack. This offense really needs that to stay on the field.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
One reason this is a huge game is that we are still in UT's head, while the nation thinks they are turning the corner to being a consistent top 10 contender. Lose this one, and the emotional/mental edge over the buttchuggers is potentially lost for good (or until we have another nationally dominant run that does not seem to be around the corner if we can't win Saturday). If we lose two in a row, the third is at Neyland, and with the new schedules coming, it might not be this early in the season. It could be played after we have already grinded through the dwags, texas, LSU, Miami, Ole Miss, and A&M with either moreMertz or freshman DJ.

Our prior coaches have lost so much tradition already, including losing to Vandy (Billy too, i know), losing the UK streak, losing the superiority we had over FSU, including not taking advantage of them when down, and the uga dominance, obviously.

Please Billy, don't let the emotional and mental dominance of the hillbillies slip away. Win this one and it continues for at least 2 more years, regardless of what happens next year.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
I thought, per GW and others on here, that UF only had ugly women and foreigners. Who did the FBI (or Antifa, as you can never be sure) fly in to impersonate students at this event?
The ugly women and foreigners are in the dorm or Union studying. They have no idea it football season.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Not sure how successful he will be but I sure do like him. So do the players. Huge improvement over the last few numbskulls.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

Damn I like this kid. Already impressed with what he's done so far. Love how he gets fired up and he'll definitely be pumped Saturday. This will be a big game. I think he'll win us some ball games with his aggressive D.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I don't know. I just don't know. We will see Saturday. :eek:

Like many, not sold on Billy's scheme. Will we have an answer for stacked box? Is that eventuality baked in to his system? So far, no, more or less. If one defender gets past the OL, the longer, open pass plays get checked down because of pressure, and that was with McNeese St, and often the check down is not optimally positioned.

Noticed at the 12:25 mark, we run from inside the end zone, and McNeese' players are so small compared to our SEC OL. It's going to be really interesting to see if we get anywhere near the success/push against bigger, stronger DL/LBs.

15:02 mark, "despite having a clean pocket and tons of time.... as we often see, Florida's concepts don't allow receivers to be wide open, there's just nowhere to go with this". That's what you want to hear about your competition. And how would our DBs grow playing against an offense schemed this way? Seems like they would look great in practice, because we cover OUR routes but against better pass teams a concern would be our coverage breaks down.

26: mark on two point conversion, criticism of design "low percentage".

28:20 see Wilson's assignment is to head to the sideline and be horizontal to Mertz, 5+ yards behind LOS, while the rest of the play finds no receivers open even with protection and plenty of time.

Stopped watching at 30:00

Yes, "we'll see".

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Our run plays are up to SEC standards but our pass plays/routes... :eek:

Utah wrote the book on how to defend us - stack the box and dare us to throw more than 10 yards. The philosophy of " take what the defense gives you" doesn't work well when they don't give you the things you CAN do,

McNeese, for whatever reason, occasionally played us honest and we were able to run the ball. But I didn't see a different game plan. Against Utah, we were running into 7-8 man fronts because that's all we ever had.

But pass play designs are a mess. And that goes back to last season. I would love @cover2's opinion (or Law's). It's like Napier doesn't know what to do with receivers past 10 yards. The plays aren't SEC caliber. Even if the plays were well drawn-up Mr. Checkdown will take the short/safe pass. Say it with me; he's a GAME MANAGER.

A generational QB makes everything better but Napier has a lot to learn when it comes to drawing up pass plays. I hope he's a fast learner.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Our run plays are up to SEC standards but our pass plays/routes... :eek:

Utah wrote the book on how to defend us - stack the box and dare us to throw more than 10 yards. The philosophy of " take what the defense gives you" doesn't work well when they don't give you the things you CAN do,

McNeese, for whatever reason, occasionally played us honest and we were able to run the ball. But I didn't see a different game plan. Against Utah, we were running into 7-8 man fronts because that's all we ever had.

But pass play designs are a mess. And that goes back to last season. I would love @cover2's opinion (or Law's). It's like Napier doesn't know what to do with receivers past 10 yards. The plays aren't SEC caliber. Even if the plays were well drawn-up Mr. Checkdown will take the short/safe pass. Say it with me; he's a GAME MANAGER.

A generational QB makes everything better but Napier has a lot to learn when it comes to drawing up pass plays. I hope he's a fast learner.
He needs to have dinner with the Head Ball Coach at Spurriers and draw up a few plays on the back of some napkins.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Did he do that last year? Doubt it. Means he's learning. There's still hope.
Charlie Brown Football GIF

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator