Game Thread ***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs UT***

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
I'm looking for some signs of hope. I think they exist. First, we are more team talented and we are deeper. Second, Pitt held this supposed offensive juggernaut to 27 regulation points. After seeing the offense and adjusting, Pitt only gave up 3 pts total in the 3rd and 4th Quarter. Otherwise, they beat up on and amassed crazy stats against crappy teams per usual. For example, their average yards per run allowed of less than 3 yards looks impressive, but Pitt's lead rusher went for over 6 yards per carry on 25 carries.

No team they have played is as good as two we have played in UK and Utah.

While it feels like Florida has not improved much on penalties, we are at 34th, with 5.3 per game. Tennessee is 104th at 8 penalties per game. We are 18th in penalty yards per game. Tennessee is 116th, giving up nearly 80 YPG in penalties.

They pass well, our pass efficiency defense is a potential team strength as we are 26th in team pass efficiency defense.

We almost always rise to the occasion against them, yet if we hang or get up early, they will be squirming per usual as 110,000 people of nervousness spreads.
Tennessee has given up nearly 2 sacks a game to teams.

We are ranked ahead of their break-neck speed offense in time of possession. Well, only by two spots (119th in the country vs 121st for them), and we are a running team, and well, forget about this one.

Just don't ask for any other stats, or even glance at them, especially red zone offensive production, offensive passing efficiency, team total sacks, team TFL, or 3rd down defense. Definitely not those.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm looking for some signs of hope. I think they exist. First, we are more team talented and we are deeper. Second, Pitt held this supposed offensive juggernaut to 27 regulation points. After seeing the offense and adjusting, Pitt only gave up 3 pts total in the 3rd and 4th Quarter. Otherwise, they beat up on and amassed crazy stats against crappy teams per usual. For example, their average yards per run allowed of less than 3 yards looks impressive, but Pitt's lead rusher went for over 6 yards per carry on 25 carries.

While it feels like Florida has not improved much on penalties, we are at 34th, with 5.3 per game. Tennessee is 104th at 8 penalties per game. We are 18th in penalty yards per game. Tennessee is 116th, giving up nearly 80 YPG in penalties.

They pass well, our pass efficiency defense is a potential team strength as we are 26th in team pass efficiency defense.

We almost always rise to the occasion against them, yet if we hang or get up early, they will be squirming per usual as 110,000 people of nervousness spreads.

We are ranked ahead of their break-neck speed offense in time of possession. Well, only by two spots (119th in the country vs 121st for them), and we are a running team, and well, forget about this one.

Just don't ask for any other stats, or even glance at them, especially red zone offensive production, offensive passing efficiency, team total sacks, team TFL, or 3rd down defense. Definitely not those.
SEC I am kinda feeling the way you do on this. Just not sure on the depth part. We have some but it is extremely young. But I have not watched a whole lot of the bUTtchuggers this year. I do like some of the bullets you point out in this post. UT is ranked 51st in total defense and giving up at 4.64 yards per play but 19th against the rush. And they have really not faced any juggernauts rushing the ball this year. This almost has the Utah feel to it except we are on the road for this one. But, UT has not met an OLine and rushing attack like UF's. And like I said about the Utah feel. It's going to be the offense that does the best, lack of mistakes, and rushing. Most all of these games come down to who wins the rushing battle. UF advantage. But there are so many intangibles that could explain win, loss, tie, heart attacks, and getting disgusted. If, and with this team it's a HUGE IF, UF can stick to a game plan of win the rushing game, limit UT on offense from bend don't break D, win the turnover battle, and play loose. I know that is a lot to ask for this UF team, but that is what it's going to take at a minimum.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I feel very similar. And while data isn’t everything, I’ll add this. Their best opponent and close win, Pitt, is 46th in this year’s talent composite. Our close win and perhaps best win is Utah at 33rd. Also, our weakest opponent is 65th, 19 points from their best opponent, and light years from Akron and Ball State who check in at 95th and 121st respectively. They’ve played nobody so far. And given the need for OT against a 3rd string QB in their only real contest, it could easily be argued that if they’d played three teams in the 27-65th range, they wouldn’t look as impressive and probably would have the same record as us.

I’ll also throw in that this is the same team they rolled into this game last year outscoring teams 42-14 through 3 contests. This year, against nearly identical but slightly worse opponents, they come in at 52-14. We beat that team 38-14 with Emory Jones and without Ventrell Miller or Kair Elam playing.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
If the AR of the Utah game, or even the 1st half of the USF game, and the D of either of the first two games show up, then I like our chances. If not, then not so much.

Most of the UT fans I know well are nervous; they think they should win, but know recent history has not been kind. UF is truly living rent free inside their heads.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'm looking for some signs of hope.
yes.gif

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I feel very similar. And while data isn’t everything, I’ll add this. Their best opponent and close win, Pitt, is 46th in this year’s talent composite. Our close win and perhaps best win is Utah at 33rd. Also, our weakest opponent is 65th, 19 points from their best opponent, and light years from Akron and Ball State who check in at 95th and 121st respectively. They’ve played nobody so far. And given the need for OT against a 3rd string QB in their only real contest, it could easily be argued that if they’d played three teams in the 27-65th range, they wouldn’t look as impressive and probably would have the same record as us.

I’ll also throw in that this is the same team they rolled into this game last year outscoring teams 42-14 through 3 contests. This year, against nearly identical but slightly worse opponents, they come in at 52-14. We beat that team 38-14 with Emory Jones and without Ventrell Miller or Kair Elam playing.
Don’t you dare start giving me hope.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Don’t you dare start giving me hope.

I can’t imagine this an easy week for you up there. And I’m not going blinders here. They’re just literally the same team as last year and we kept them in check, albeit at home. We also went 6-7 in tue process. We need a big game from offense and defense, but we can win this game. I also think there’s a ton more pressure on Hippo and the vols than on us. If he drops this game at home, we will live in their heads like we did under their past 5 coaches.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Being that its [In my best Big Daddy Vol voice] TEN E SEE week its that time again when the toothless Smokey owners are CONVINCED this is their year to take it to the Gators. Thinking back to those Will Grier and Felipe Franks moments it gives a Gator alum comfort knowing how many spirits were absolutely CRUSHED in the last minute of those games. But here we are again and I am filled with hope against hope that somehow we can pull this off. I saw the video of Smokey pummeling a blowup of Albert at UTs game last Saturday so they must really be feeling it. Let's hope CBN can come up with a winner just so I can watch some dude that married his sister cry in his beer.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb