Game Thread ***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs UT***

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
One of my favorite dynamics to watch unfold every year in college football for every team is the complete stripping of reality away from fans on gameday. We spend all offseason looking at what we have left over from last year, who's coming in, what we expect to be fixed and what we expect to keep sucking hind tit, etc. We use this info to make some fairly accurate predictions about how the season is going to shape up, where we're going to struggle, where we're going to see some improvement, etc. Then, once the ball is snapped, all that is out the window :lol:

The defense was going to suck this year. Ain't no getting around it. And, as predicted, it does in fact suck for the exact reasons we knew it was going to suck. The question going forward is whether the process will yield results when we get better players and they get used to the system. That's all that should be evaluated at this point.

The biggest queestion for the offense was whether AR was going to snap out of his funk and play like the guy we've been expecting. I think he had a hell of a game today. He'll still be here next year IMO. Seeing him learn from game to game is pretty cool to watch.

As for Napier, it sure looks to me like the last thing he is afraid to do is make a gutsy call. You can break down the math of some of his decisions and convince me that the stats say the smart play is to do something different, but its almost like he's trying to instill a hyper-aggressive attitude into his players. I think I like it, we'l see how it pans out.

Meanwhile, I'm watching what seems to be a record amount of upsets and implosions across the cfb landscape every week. Sure don't seem to be a lot of games on anybody's schedule that can just get penciled in as an automatic win these days.

Cheers

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
The only logic I can see is he was not wanting to play for overtime. It was his way of saying we win or lose in regulation and we won’t have time for 2 full possessions. So get a stop, get a TD, and then with seconds left be in position to win with a FG. He had the time gauge correct. It’s not what I would’ve liked, but it’s aggressive and going for the win, which when execution and talent catch up, will pay some dividends.

Remember Mullen and really each of the last three playing the “___ points away” card. He’d rather lose by 5 going for the win than settle for a loss. Again, not my favorite idea, but it’s better than what those guys would’ve done.
The only logic I can see is he was not wanting to play for overtime. It was his way of saying we win or lose in regulation and we won’t have time for 2 full possessions. So get a stop, get a TD, and then with seconds left be in position to win with a FG. He had the time gauge correct. It’s not what I would’ve liked, but it’s aggressive and going for the win, which when execution and talent catch up, will pay some dividends.

Remember Mullen and really each of the last three playing the “___ points away” card. He’d rather lose by 5 going for the win than settle for a loss. Again, not my favorite idea, but it’s better than what those guys would’ve done.

That’s a stupid time to call the 2-pt conversion if that’s what he was thinking. Save it for the second TD then.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Maybe, maybe not. He had a failed 4th down on the opening drive that should have been 3 points. If we had deferred like is the definite preferred strategy, it would have been a different game admittedly. But we didn't score on the opening drive and TU score 14 points using Belichick's Boom-Boom strategy, being the last to score in the first half and first to score in the second.

If you need any evidence why you defer when you win the toss, all you have to do is look at this game. Deferring isn't just luck or momentum based, it allows you to make better use of your first half TO's. You can use them if you need to extend the half to try to get the final score, or leave them in your pocket if you have a chance to score and need to burn clock to not leave time for your opponent.

Going for 2 was the lower percentage call and ironically it ended up being a critical mistake that possibly cost us the game, but even if it hadn't, it was still the wrong call statistically.

Agreed. If the assumption is that Napier was either going to win or lose in regulation, then the correct sequence is kick the PAT to make it 38-28, then go for 2 on the next TD we score.

Going for 2 there was stupid. Napier’s mismanagement cost us this game, IMO.

Mornengswede

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2017
Hindsight bias on not kicking the field goal. You want him not to have gone for it on 4th the times they didn’t make it. Without going for it the other times, this game isn’t close. You want to pick and choose after the fact? Fine. It’s a vain exercise that proves nothing.

As for the kicker’s range, he couldn’t have known it was out of his range because he already made one from that distance.

I disagreed with the timeout at the time. Billy took full responsibility for that after the game. We learn from our mistakes. Otherwise he did a great job today IMO.

Lost_in_Turlington4ever

Dec 14, 2021
I am tired of watching clowns making us look like idiots on gameday. How many blown coverages? How many points left on the field?

AR can move the ball against a prevent version of the worst SEC defense we are going to face this year. woohooo pbbbbbt **** these coaches these kids god I miss enjoying watching this team play football.

Minister of Information

Highly Cosmopolitan
Aug 17, 2018
One of my favorite dynamics to watch unfold every year in college football for every team is the complete stripping of reality away from fans on gameday. We spend all offseason looking at what we have left over from last year, who's coming in, what we expect to be fixed and what we expect to keep sucking hind tit, etc. We use this info to make some fairly accurate predictions about how the season is going to shape up, where we're going to struggle, where we're going to see some improvement, etc. Then, once the ball is snapped, all that is out the window :lol:

The defense was going to suck this year. Ain't no getting around it. And, as predicted, it does in fact suck for the exact reasons we knew it was going to suck. The question going forward is whether the process will yield results when we get better players and they get used to the system. That's all that should be evaluated at this point.

The biggest queestion for the offense was whether AR was going to snap out of his funk and play like the guy we've been expecting. I think he had a hell of a game today. He'll still be here next year IMO. Seeing him learn from game to game is pretty cool to watch.

As for Napier, it sure looks to me like the last thing he is afraid to do is make a gutsy call. You can break down the math of some of his decisions and convince me that the stats say the smart play is to do something different, but its almost like he's trying to instill a hyper-aggressive attitude into his players. I think I like it, we'l see how it pans out.

Meanwhile, I'm watching what seems to be a record amount of upsets and implosions across the cfb landscape every week. Sure don't seem to be a lot of games on anybody's schedule that can just get penciled in as an automatic win these days.

Cheers
Agree 100%, with the caveat that going for 2 early has always irked me. Here it cost us overtime and who knows what else. I’m sure the game theory percentages are with Napier but I’ve seen this outcome too often.

Minister of Information

Highly Cosmopolitan
Aug 17, 2018
I am tired of watching clowns making us look like idiots on gameday. How many blown coverages? How many points left on the field?

AR can move the ball against a prevent version of the worst SEC defense we are going to face this year. woohooo pbbbbbt **** these coaches these kids god I miss enjoying watching this team play football.
453 yards 2 TDs in the air and 62 yards 2 TDs on the ground. The late INT was meaningless. Tebow would be proud of those numbers.

Yes he had a costly fumble. $hit happens brother

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

Cheers
Spot on and many if not all our fans would have taken 2-2 at this point if offered prior to the season would have taken it.

And you're right about the upsets. "Little Middle" Tennessee spanked scUM. It is a weird year thus far.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Agreed. If the assumption is that Napier was either going to win or lose in regulation, then the correct sequence is kick the PAT to make it 38-28, then go for 2 on the next TD we score.

Going for 2 there was stupid. Napier’s mismanagement cost us this game, IMO.
No, a defense that couldn't force a single punt cost us the game. You could argue that's on Napier as HC, but I'll take his aggressive play calling any day.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
All the numnuts on here, me included, that said go with the statistics, well here it is.

De la Torre doesn't know the difference between a FG and a PAT. Regardless, I disagree with Napier's decision. It comes down to weighing risk-reward. The reward was minimal enough that it didn't justify the risk.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
De la Torre doesn't know the difference between a FG and a PAT. Regardless, I disagree with Napier's decision. It comes down to weighing risk-reward. The reward was minimal enough that it didn't justify the risk.
And if he settled for 3 and punted on the other 4th downs and we get blown out, you'd be criticizing Napier for that as well.

He's seen the same defense that we have; he knows the wholes in personnel better than we. So his game plan was to be as aggressive on offense as possible. It's obvious that was his game plan. Me personally, I'm glad he went into Knoxville with some plan to win instead of just survive.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
They NEVER punted....the entire game!!!! Going for it was the only way to keep them from scoring AGAIN. Billy new it and that's why he is the coach and you're here arm chair QBing. What? You think those 4x we got the 1st down and continued the drive we should have punted? Thats at a minimum 12 pts the other way and in all probably 28. Now do the math. Not too mention the times we actually scored on those 4th down conversions. And we did attempt a FG...he missed. The 2 pt conversion attempts I think were too much. Kick the PAT

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
They NEVER punted....the entire game!!!! Going for it was the only way to keep them from scoring AGAIN. Billy new it and that's why he is the coach and you're here arm chair QBing. What? You think those 4x we got the 1st down and continued the drive we should have punted? Thats at a minimum 12 pts the other way and in all probably 28. Now do the math. Not too mention the times we actually scored on those 4th down conversions. And we did attempt a FG...he missed. The 2 pt conversion attempts I think were too much. Kick the PAT
The 2 pt conversion to make it 9 pts down was specifically to end the game in regulation.
We weren't going to stop them in an OT shootout, so being 10 pts down only gets you to OT.

Had we gotten the first (and we've been pretty good at 2 pt conversions haven't we?) Then the end of the game being just like it was would have meant a FG would win the game after that onside kick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator