Game Thread ***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs UT***

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
You do realize there is no right decision if they execute?

He (Napier) did things I wouldn't have risked.

Here is a thought, UF has/had no chance of winning the SEC this year. If that's our ultimate goal what difference does it make?

I'd like him to play wide open and start developing players for next year. The #%!! with 2022 reucords.

Last edited:

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
@RocketCityGator tell me where I’m wrong then…
Were you are wrong is by not realizing what Napier's "plan to win" was; aggressive all out offense, hold nothing back. With this defense, we would be a severe disadvantage in OT. I think Napier wanted to avoid OT at all cost. If we had made the first 2-pt would have put us in a position to maybe win without OT. It's was a risk. At this point of the program, with the weaknesses on the team, I'm OK these kind of risks. Later with hopefully a better defense, might not be warranted. But for now I'm good.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Were you are wrong is by not realizing what Napier's "plan to win" was; aggressive all out offense, hold nothing back. With this defense, we would be a severe disadvantage in OT. I think Napier wanted to avoid OT at all cost. If we had made the first 2-pt would have put us in a position to maybe win without OT. It's was a risk. At this point of the program, with the weaknesses on the team, I'm OK these kind of risks. Later with hopefully a better defense, might not be warranted. But for now I'm good.

Mission accomplished. He avoided OT.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I would be very curious of the number of data points making up that chart posted here. When down 14 and scoring a TD, going for 2 on the first TD is the much better choice and coaches mess it up all the time.

There are two primary advantages: (1) it’s easier to got 1/2 than 1/1 on a 2 pt conversion. So, if you make the first great, but if you don’t you have the second shot at it to at least tie. And since odds on a 2 pt conversion are about 50/50 and going for the win is understandable (1 play to win va additional risks of OT), this strategy makes sense.

(2)(and here is where I think it broke down Saturday) is it leaves the most optionality. For instance, if you get the 2 pts and are down 6, and end up with 4th and 15 due to a penalty or a sack and have enough TOs left, you leave a fg option to need just a fg to tie. Similarly, if you miss both 2 pt conversions you can adjust strategy to try to get enough time for an onside kick and work for a game winning FG. Essentially, you leave the most possible outs and an ability to adjust if the comeback plan doesn’t go perfectly.

In our instance, the difference of going for 2 on the first Td, isn’t necessarily going for the win VS going for OT. That was the mindset but the options he leaves are far different. Ideally there, because you need two TDs and a fg is to maintain that need to leave you the most flexibility of game scenarios, including the far more likely scenario of getting another TD and FG, instead of a 3 TDs, which is exactly what played out.

The benefit of the 1/2 VS 1/1 two point conversion odds seem far set off by risking needing 3 TDs within the last few minutes opposed to just 1TD and a FG. Another strategy option is to kick the fg right away if you are only down 10 and then go for the inside with about 1 minute still left. That option is also completely off the table once you miss after the 2 pt try on the first attempt.

I’ve read this twice now and am still a little fuzzy on whether you’re for it or against it. I’m also almost certain that iocane powder is somehow involved.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You do realize that kicking the PAT after the first TD and then going for 2 & converting it after the second TD would also end the game in regulation don’t you?

The difference is, kicking the PAT after the first TD rather than going for 2 & missing keeps the momentum on our side for the last few minutes of the game.
I don't think it makes much difference.
Perhaps momentum a little bit, but we missed it and still did what we did after...sooo

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Has it occurred to you armchair coaches that our field goal kicker is less reliable than going for it on 4th and less than 3? I always wanted a team that didn't have a punter or field goal kicker. Make the offense get first downs.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014

Either English is not your first language or you don’t understand football.

I literally took you step by step how to avoid OT WITHOUT going for 2 on the first TD and your only response is he went for 2 on the first TD to avoid OT at all costs.

Tell me you’re not this retarded. There’s no way you can read my post and be dumb enough to not understand that, is there? :facepalm:

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I don't think it makes much difference.
Perhaps momentum a little bit, but we missed it and still did what we did after...sooo

Yet you say going for 2 on the first TD is to ensure the game ends in regulation…as if going for 2 on the second TD doesn’t??? And yeah, we did what we did (lost) after we stymied our own momentum-which supports my point.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014

I literally took you step by step how to avoid OT WITHOUT going for 2 on the first TD and your only response is he went for 2 on the first TD to avoid OT at all costs.

Tell me you’re not this retarded. There’s no way you can read my post and be dumb enough to not understand that, is there? :facepalm:

Chaq Daqvam ngIvlu'chugh, vaj pIvlo' ngIvlIj chu'taHvIS.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014

You have two posts in the score prediction thread, neither of which provided a prediction. From this, combined with your other posts, I assess (like you assess talent and coaches) you as follows:
  1. You are a ballless fuk.
  2. You have never been in a position of authority/decision making under sustained pressure/stress.
And actually, that's me being redundant... #1 encapsulates #2... you're just a ballless fuk.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yet you say going for 2 on the first TD is to ensure the game ends in regulation…as if going for 2 on the second TD doesn’t??? And yeah, we did what we did (lost) after we stymied our own momentum-which supports my point.
So you admit, either time, it doesn't really matter.
Thanks for playing

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
F 2/3 pt arguments.. the D F’d the game and that needs to be the quarrel focus
Do you think there is a reason Napier's 2023 class is heavily skewed D?
Maybe, just maybe he knows a little more than we do?
But this is Chatter so I seriously doubt it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb