***Official Gatorchatter BBQ Thread***

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Heavy, have you tried Meathead's Simon and Garfunkle rub for the poultry? I used it on one of the turkeys I smoked last Tgiving and wasnt too bad. By the way, your Brunswick stew looks pretty damned good. You had any of the Hash they serve up around the Augusta area? It'd pretty similar although not as soupy. They serve it on rice alot.

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
crosscreekcooter;n249124 said:
Heavy, have you tried Meathead's Simon and Garfunkle rub for the poultry? I used it on one of the turkeys I smoked last Tgiving and wasnt too bad. By the way, your Brunswick stew looks pretty damned good. You had any of the Hash they serve up around the Augusta area? It'd pretty similar although not as soupy. They serve it on rice alot.

Yeah I've done a quite a few pork loins and did a turkey for thanksgiving at work last year with that stuff, I cut the sugar by a little bit though. Get a coffee grinder and make it in to a powder and it makes it a little better to me, I can do without picking rosemary out of my teeth. Its a little much on chicken for me though. Never been up to Augusta, born and raised ACR Hawthorne to Gainesville. From all the Brunswick stews I've had never seen rice with them. My wife ladels hers on to cornbread, I like goldfish swimming in mine. Oh yeah, and NO VEGGIES!

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
crosscreekcooter;n249124 said:

I tried that hash over in Augusta and was less than impressed. Brunswick stew puts it to shame.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Pork butt day! Will post more pics and updates. Not going with really traditional methods because it's pork and Im not a huge pork guy (other than bacon, of course). I was at the store early this morning and said **** it, lets do one. Did the rub like I do for briskets and added some chili powder and paprika for color, some brown sugar for some sweetness, and some garlic powder because I said so. Also have a bbq sauce on its last phase now. Most importantly, its 2:45 and the buzz is strong.
20150725_122220_zpslsbmi4oo.jpg

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
20150725_144901_zpszdgieds0.jpg
Since time travel is possible, here is many hours later merely minutes after my first post on this one.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n251678 said:
20150725_144901_zpszdgieds0.jpg
Since time travel is possible, here is many hours later merely minutes after my first post on this one.

Yum.

I swear by Lawry's Seasoning Salt....shrimp, fish, pork, chicken, steak....just slightly different amounts for each depending on cook time and drippings, etc

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
There are a lot of good pre packaged rubs out there, I just don't use them. I'm a huge Texas bbq fan because it's all about the perfection of the smoke and high quality beef. That's not to say I don't like it any other way. Hell, a trip to KC got me into smoking and Memphis bbq sauce is my favorite. I started my sauce with more of a Texas base and added molasses and some additional chipotle. First time doing sauce but it turned out ok. Put it in with pork to capture a little smoke. Hard to tell anything off of it but this is how it turned out.
20150725_152458_zpskxjoim5k.jpg

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
t-gator;n251840 said:
Looks like it turned out pretty good ray
It did. Much better than I anticipated for my first one. I really don't know what I would change next time. It hit temps and times the way I wanted and came out extremely moist. I expected some issues from not knowing the exact cooking temp (thermometer broke the first time I smoked on this smoker) but everyone was more than satisfied. A few stuck around and played cards and requested the pan be sat out so they could snack on the rest of it. That's the beauty of smoking. I get more enjoyment out of everyone else's satisfaction than my own. I'm sure everyone thinks it but I would put this up against any restaurant in my area and think it would be up there with the best.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n251851 said:
It did. Much better than I anticipated for my first one. I really don't know what I would change next time. It hit temps and times the way I wanted and came out extremely moist. I expected some issues from not knowing the exact cooking temp (thermometer broke the first time I smoked on this smoker) but everyone was more than satisfied. A few stuck around and played cards and requested the pan be sat out so they could snack on the rest of it. That's the beauty of smoking. I get more enjoyment out of everyone else's satisfaction than my own. I'm sure everyone thinks it but I would put this up against any restaurant in my area and think it would be up there with the best.
Did you wrap it? It looks like it pulled apart pretty easy.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
t-gator;n251863 said:
Did you wrap it? It looks like it pulled apart pretty easy.
I did. One section took a little more effort to pull than the rest but it wasn't from being dried out or anything. I just dont know pork

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n251851 said:
It looks great, and I'm glad that they turned out so well. What kind of smoke did you use? I think most people use hickory but I like using apple, cherry, pecan, or a combination of two of those.

I actually smoked ribs yesterday, but forgot to take pictures. I got some good tips from amazingribs.com, but I still don't think I've mastered them yet even though everyone else loved them. They taste great but I haven't gotten the right tenderness yet. I'm getting close though.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n251928 said:
I did. One section took a little more effort to pull than the rest but it wasn't from being dried out or anything. I just dont know pork
If you keep them on for longer at a low temp (200) they will soften more. I usually have them on for at least 14 hours. The meat falls apart in my hands.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
GatorJB;n251931 said:
If you keep them on for longer at a low temp (200) they will soften more. I usually have them on for at least 14 hours. The meat falls apart in my hands.
Unfortunately it was not my plan to smoke yesterday so time was against me from the moment I decided to. Went at it a higher temp than I wanted to in order to have it done in time. I used hickory, it's my go to. Make sure to snap a few pics next time bro!

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've gotten to prefer milder woods for smoke although I will stop on the road in a heartbeat if someone's trimmed their oak trees. Just about any tree that puts off edible nuts or fruit is suitable for smoking. Citrus is a great mild wood. I had to cut down a small red bay that was growing into the fence and it made great smoke. Found out both red and white bay are used a lot over on the left side for seafood. Goon might know about that. I use regular Kingsford to cook and add small amounts of wood periodically. Another really good source for smoke is scuppernong vines. I stopped by a house I lived in years ago and asked the old guy out in the front yard if I could cut some dead limbs off the old pecan tree in the back yard and he just looked at me like I was a weirdo so I left.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
That's why I like the hickory. Would like to get a good supplier of white oak, just got to do some digging for someone who isn't so damn proud of it. I will use apple on occasion but very particular about each chunk. About half of the chunks you get in a bag are garbage

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.