***Official Gatorchatter BBQ Thread***

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I like hickory for pretty much everything. I like mesquite on brisket the best. But I pretty much use whatever woodchips are on sale .

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
T, next time you have to come out of the woods for Copenhagen and toilet paper, stop by the Home Depot. I was over there this morning and they had colored pine chips 3/10$ (note dollar sign location)

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
crosscreekcooter;n252065 said:
T, next time you have to come out of the woods for Copenhagen and toilet paper, stop by the Home Depot. I was over there this morning and they had colored pine chips 3/10$ (note dollar sign location)

We got a gander mountain in ocala that usually has some good deals on wood chips and chunks. Their bbq section is pretty big.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Did a ribeye roast today. Stuffed and tired. Will upload some pics tomorrow. This was a good weekend

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
Pork shoulder in general is really hard to F up. Theres so much fat all the way through top to bottom you'd have to really not know what you're doing to dry it out. anything up to 375 and a boston butt or a picnic even can handle it pretty well. especially If you foil boat it. I didn't get a chance to do anything other than burgers and I planked some salmon that was on sale at Publix

No real BBQ this weekend, my dad and I finally finished overhauling his old boat from when I was a kid. 1985 Ski Nautique. Sat for 10 years untouched and took us about a month taking the entire engine apart, cleaning, putting back together. Fired it up over the weekend and took my girls for a ride. Can't wait to see them grow up with it like I did... but that's another thread topic don't mean to hijack.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n252176 said:
Did a ribeye roast today. Stuffed and tired. Will upload some pics tomorrow. This was a good weekend
This is something ive been wanting to try myself. Post those picks broseph

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
t-gator;n252326 said:
This is something ive been wanting to try myself. Post those picks broseph
Should have them up in about an hour or so. Mobile is not particularly friendly for multiple pics for me. Also, I would never use mesquite on brisket. The only time I use mesquite is occasionally when I want something different for a steak. I throw it on right before they come off so there's not enough time for it to ruin it. That crap is by far the heaviest smoke Ive experienced and will never buy it again.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Sorry for the delay. Here they are:
Before:
20150726_173543_zpsemrcv5sc.jpg

20150726_173558_zps091j4gyh.jpg

During:
20150726_184655_zps5ykv9w6c.jpg

20150726_184658_zps3b3lssbi.jpg

After:
20150726_215703_zps6louv8gs.jpg

20150726_215830_zpsi2vtls0f.jpg

20150726_220645_zpsrdszr0ai.jpg

20150726_220959_zpsbcpfrv9d.jpg

20150726_221132_zpsecjpaxph.jpg

And to think, there are vegetarians out there...

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n252432 said:
Should have them up in about an hour or so. Mobile is not particularly friendly for multiple pics for me. Also, I would never use mesquite on brisket. The only time I use mesquite is occasionally when I want something different for a steak. I throw it on right before they come off so there's not enough time for it to ruin it. That crap is by far the heaviest smoke Ive experienced and will never buy it again.
I wrapped mine for about half the cook and had it burning pretty low. It wasn't a heavy smoke at all. I use a different smoker. I cook on a vertical gas smoker and I can cook around 200 degrees all day if I need. I've only done one brisket fyi. It turned pretty good, they're just too expensive for me.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
t-gator;n252468 said:
I wrapped mine for about half the cook and had it burning pretty low. It wasn't a heavy smoke at all. I use a different smoker. I cook on a vertical gas smoker and I can cook around 200 degrees all day if I need. I've only done one brisket fyi. It turned pretty good, they're just too expensive for me.
To each his own. Just because i prefer one method doesn't mean yours is wrong. I will never do gas. May as well throw it in the oven. Then there is direct vs indirect heat, and i just don't see qn advantage to direct. How much was your setup t?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n252472 said:
To each his own. Just because i prefer one method doesn't mean yours is wrong. I will never do gas. May as well throw it in the oven. Then there is direct vs indirect heat, and i just don't see qn advantage to direct. How much was your setup t?
It was 200 bucks. I've had it forever. My wife bought it for me when we were dating for my birthday about 6 years ago. I've learned how to cook on that thing. I'll upgrade one of these days.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
heavychevy;n252223 said:
Pork shoulder in general is really hard to F up. Theres so much fat all the way through top to bottom you'd have to really not know what you're doing to dry it out. anything up to 375 and a boston butt or a picnic even can handle it pretty well. especially If you foil boat it. I didn't get a chance to do anything other than burgers and I planked some salmon that was on sale at Publix

No real BBQ this weekend, my dad and I finally finished overhauling his old boat from when I was a kid. 1985 Ski Nautique. Sat for 10 years untouched and took us about a month taking the entire engine apart, cleaning, putting back together. Fired it up over the weekend and took my girls for a ride. Can't wait to see them grow up with it like I did... but that's another thread topic don't mean to hijack.

I always took you as a ford guy

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
t-gator;n252468 said:
Brisket really is almost too expensive - flats are around 6.99/lb and the packers are cheaper when you can find them but you end up cutting off so much fat you feel guilty afterwards. I read an article a couple months ago on the soaring beef prices and they're attributed to the droughts in the Texas and the plains states that are the major cattle producers. When the droughts hit, ranchers were selling off everything they had to make ends meet, now its finally leveling out and they're keeping their more of their cows and only selling the bigger cows at a higher price per pound. Once the calves start becoming big enough to sell the price will start dipping as the market will be more saturated (see what I did there)? It was a pretty cool article, it also mentioned the rise of cow wrangling - people are literally back to stealing other folks' cows! One major beef producer that the article didn't name had a ranch get hit for over a thousand head of cows between inventories - which is usually around once a month or so.
Anyway, you can't mess a piece of meat up no matter what your cooker runs on as long as you know how to control your temps. I've fiddled with stick burners for 15 hours at a time to keep temps and until I can find one that's as close to lighting and leaving as my komodo is, i'll never get another one - most likely because i'll never be able to convince my wife that $4k would be a good investment on one when i'm putting out perfectly edible food off a $200 craigslist find.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ray, that looks delicious. Also nice kitchen by the way.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
GatorJB;n252577 said:
Ray, that looks delicious. Also nice kitchen by the way.
Thanks bro! I think I lost a year of use out of my back doing that backsplash :lol:

cornbread

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
hey ray, what do you think is the best set up for under $500

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members