Not open for further replies.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
rogdochar;n156014 said:
Are their any recruiting classes in our past that looked scary and then rallied at the last minute on NSD ?
And do players ever sign after NSD ?

Scary was being in double-digits right now, like 10th or 12th. 95th! But the tables may finally be turning.

Marshall Gator

Dec 7, 2014
The Original DC;n156029 said:
Scary was being in double-digits right now, like 10th or 12th. 95th! But the tables may finally be turning.

DC, do you think we will have something to smile about between now and signing day. We need O - lineman so badly. Without them we cant even practice correctly. Let alone make a bowl game.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's hard to be optimistic right now. I know I'm not anymore. You can't really blame McElwain. He's going to build the program the right way and if we have to take a hit this year then so be it. We have talent here that needs to be coached up. One year will not break us, but we do need some progress with this class. I think we will end up with some good quantity, but the quality will be suspect. There are several reasons why a kid may be a 3*. I hope that he is going to get kids who didn't camp, or didn't have a good HS coach, or they have a ton of potential but need a proper S&C program. We can't blame McElwain for the douchebag coach that left here and is negative recruiting. But....he has to do better. It won't be his fault if this class is a failure, but he needs to do better, and I think he will.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Marshall Gator;n156033 said:
DC, do you think we will have something to smile about between now and signing day. We need O - lineman so badly. Without them we cant even practice correctly. Let alone make a bowl game.

I feel reasonably good about Jefferson, Ivey and Ryan Davis. I feel like we'll land a few other surprises and we'll miss on some guys. I also think we'll sign some last minute fill-in types, guys we're not even hearing about right now. I'm hoping like hell for a top 25 class, but I remain worried until we see some real life commitments.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
rogdochar;156014 said:
Are their any recruiting classes in our past that looked scary and then rallied at the last minute on NSD ?

Yes. Signing day is the FIRST day that you can sign. You can sign pretty much any day after that. Up to enrollment, I think.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
rogdochar;n156014 said:
No. We are in uncharted territory. A bad class used to be 15-20th. Even during probation teams like USC or Rape State never struggled like this.

There werent recruiting rankings in the 80s during our probation but we never had a class this small or bad then. Of course we never had depth issues like weve had since 2010 either.

I really dont remember any team any where with inadequate depth to play a spring game or even practice either.... and certainly not three years in a row. Again totally uncharted territory.

Fooley loves him some Chimp and loves the direction of the program.

Fooley should have been fired last October at the latest.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
GatorJ;156037 said:
Yes. Signing day is the FIRST day that you can sign. You can sign pretty much any day after that. Up to enrollment, I think.
If you want to get technical you can sign earlier if you are an EE

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
chferg;n156013 said:
Look on the brightside, we keep offering 2-3 star guys we will be one if not the top dog as the guys definitely aren't getting looks from the likes of Bama, OSU, Oregon or anyone of that nature....

Gag...thanks Will.
Unfortunately, kids want to go to Kintucky, Vandy or Syracuse instead.

WinterGarden Gator

Jan 15, 2015
Actually took this from DC...
GatorInKnox;n155971 said:

This does make sense as CeCe could have told Mac that he is in...and don't waste time on me, while Byron Cowart is nowhere near coming to UF and that's what evoked the coaches stalking his mom at Denny's. I like it.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
alcoholica;n156034 said:
There are several reasons why a kid may be a 3*. I hope that he is going to get kids who didn't camp, or didn't have a good HS coach, or they have a ton of potential but need a proper S&C program.
There are plenty of 3 star OL that are tough as nails and strong. The recruiting services are enamored with big guys who can dunk a basketball or run fast, even if they are undersized. Hump was here three years and hes still 35 lbs underweight and never got large enough to play a decent OT in the SEC...but he was five stars bc hes fast. (And he'll get drafted high for the same reason.)

I have zero problem with us grabbing a fistful of 3 star OL.

What I don't want to see is a bunch of low 3 star filler just to make numbers. We don't need anymore Burtons and Andrades. Save those ships and try to land some jucos or EEs next year IMO.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Law98gator;n156060 said:
There are plenty of 3 star OL that are tough as nails and strong. The recruiting services are enamored with big guys who can dunk a basketball or run fast, even if they are undersized. Hump was here three years and hes still 35 lbs underweight and never got large enough to play a decent OT in the SEC...but he was five stars bc hes fast. (And he'll get drafted high for the same reason.)

A lot of truth in this post. It's a position where time and proper S&C development are as much a factor as talent. There's no quick fix to our issue. So get some size in here, and let's develop it over the next few years. I'll take a 3* guy in his 3rd year of college level S&C all day.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
NavetG8r;n156027 said:
Sounds like our new S&C coach might be the real deal. Time will tell.
We have traded in our motivational speaker for a real S&C coach. That's the first step to getting back on top.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
soflagator;n156078 said:
I'll take a 3* guy in his 3rd year of college level S&C all day.
If true then explain Tyler Moore and other than maybe Rod Johnson why none of our guys got any better over their 3 and 4 year careers here. Strength helps but nothing prepares any player better than getting game reps. There have been plenty of offensive linemen over the years who have played as underclassmen and done a fine job.
The first key is getting guys who are already 300# plus and seeing who plays better regardless of how many years they are in the system. We've done a bad job of recruiting OL and other than Rod Johnson and Max Garcia not a single one has improved one bit in the last 5 years.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;156060 said:

Yep. We just need bodies for the O line. They tend to get more injured as well. We've had a lot of Olineman get hardships to continue their schollies but not count toward our schollies limit because injuries have destroyed their playing careers before they began.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Halapio, Harrison, Tripp Thurman (much to my surprise), and a long list of others.

Our notable failures have all been lightweight 5 star left tackles, and, of course, Tyler Moore.

I'm really not even looking back at the Chimp years. It was obvious he couldn't care less about the offense and they responded accordingly.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n156092 said:
If true then explain Tyler Moore and other than maybe Rod Johnson why none of our guys got any better over their 3 and 4 year careers here. Strength helps but nothing prepares any player better than getting game reps. There have been plenty of offensive linemen over the years who have played as underclassmen and done a fine job.
The first key is getting guys who are already 300# plus and seeing who plays better regardless of how many years they are in the system. We've done a bad job of recruiting OL and other than Rod Johnson and Max Garcia not a single one has improved one bit in the last 5 years.
Everyone on our offensive line improved last year. As far as strength and conditioning we've had a terrible guy at that position. I'm a firm believer you can load up on 3star linemen and be ok in a few years.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
@SEC_Chad: Guys to watch on signing day for the Gators:
Jordan Scarlett
Auden Tate
Lamar Jackson
Jared Pinkneh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread