Recruiting Official Recruiting Thread for the stretch run #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

solarman

Optimistic
Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2014
It was common knowledge that Foley was going to offer the greatest coach in the whole wide world a Gazillion $ but Obama wouldn't let him. It just wouldn't be right for our coach to get that much with the country in such bad shape. See its Obama's fault not Foley. :wobble:

ufgator2002

Bleeds Orange and Blue
Aug 11, 2014
chferg;n159272 said:
I disagree, I think money talks to anyone. I have to believe Foley refused to offer more than what Ole Miss was going to pay him. I mean look at how Foley does his hiring, whether it is right or wrong is neither here or there, it's just that he refuses to spend big money.

Michigan took the idea of backing up a dump truck to Harbaugh and it worked; why didn't we at least try that with a few other names? With that said, I think McElwain has what it takes to succeed, it just will take longer than hiring a bigger more proven name.

How do you know that for sure though? NO one knows for sure. He took a no name and turned them around quickly. We could only hope with a program like Florida's, it will not take that long. I for one thnk he is a great hire. Will not get into the Freeze debate, doesn't matter at this point if he did or did not offer him. What matters now is the others on the board need to get behind our coach, Jim McElwain, because he is our immediate future! Go coach Mac we are "Counting" on you, Go Gators!

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In an effort to inject a little positivity, let's explore the best case scenario: we get Zuniga and Clark tonight, bringing the class to 11. On signing day we add; Ivey, Scarlett, Cronkrite, Davis, Cowart, Cece, Holland, Pellage and Francois. That brings the class to 20, we add 2-3 fillers and finish with about 23. And of course if we landed all these guys, we'd go from 101st to top 10, maybe top 5. Of all those I listed, I think Ivey, Scarlett, Cronkrite and Davis are our best bets, 80% range for me. The others, 50-50, maybe less than that on Francois.

One interesting side note I read elsewhere on Scarlett, Cronkite and Davis. All three had different signing/commitment dates coming into the UF visit, they left the UF visit with the same date. I read that Scarlett was pumped about #1 being open and was emphatic that that # be reserved for him. Also read that Ivey was on campus helping his girlfriend register for classes.

If nothing else, it seems we will be adding some much needed firepower to our offensive side of the ball. The best OT in America in Ivey, two homerun hitting RB's with good size and an electric WR.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We definitely need the help on offense. Watching some tape on that Jackson kid he was balling pretty good against top competition down there. Not sure why his stars weren't higher but he may turn out to be a good one. They seemed to be using him at DE mostly instead of linebacker in high school - maybe that is a reason.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Ox won't like that coaching stuff in here...just sayin'

Any new commits?

ufgator2002

Bleeds Orange and Blue
Aug 11, 2014
The Original DC;n159292 said:
You can get a few different interpretations from that post, but I took it to mean Cowart is not trolling, either us or Auburn. I think he's legitimately torn.

DC, you stepped back from the ledge a moment :hehehe:... but yes I do have to agree with you here. I believe he is torn between a coach he built a trust with and a school he grew up loving and dreaming of playing for.

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
Can we keep the coaching talk to another thread? Mac is our coach so who really gives a sh!t at this point about Freeze? This thread is big enough as it is, no need to jam it up with unrelated topics.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
How else can we reach thread ver.666 before NSD and have all the doomsayers sit back with "I told you so"s on NSD? We *must* fill this thread with unrelated posts!

Bah.....we need real news.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
The Original DC;n159306 said:
In an effort to inject a little positivity, let's explore the best case scenario: we get Zuniga and Clark tonight, bringing the class to 11. On signing day we add; Ivey, Scarlett, Cronkrite, Davis, Cowart, Cece, Holland, Pellage and Francois. That brings the class to 20, we add 2-3 fillers and finish with about 23. And of course if we landed all these guys, we'd go from 101st to top 10, maybe top 5. Of all those I listed, I think Ivey, Scarlett, Cronkrite and Davis are our best bets, 80% range for me. The others, 50-50, maybe less than that on Francois.

One interesting side note I read elsewhere on Scarlett, Cronkite and Davis. All three had different signing/commitment dates coming into the UF visit, they left the UF visit with the same date. I read that Scarlett was pumped about #1 being open and was emphatic that that # be reserved for him. Also read that Ivey was on campus helping his girlfriend register for classes.

If nothing else, it seems we will be adding some much needed firepower to our offensive side of the ball. The best OT in America in Ivey, two homerun hitting RB's with good size and an electric WR.
This looks dead on to me. I think we have a few o-linemen as those fillers. Like the okie kid.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n159296 said:
Had we offered 6MM and he had turned it down, it would have better than us not trying at all. Same thing with offering Freeze $5MM. But Foley is known for his cheapness. So he took a different route. He is still into value hires even though the college landscape has been dramatically altered by TV contracts and the playoffs.
You insist on continuing to embarrass yourself with your lack of knowledge of the hire of McElwain and the amount of money Foley paid to get him.
Spurrier was the highest paid football coach in the NCAA for most of his years with us. Meyer was second only to Saban.
Freeze was born and raised within twenty miles of Oxford, as was his wife. He has shown nothing to signify he may be a better coach than McElwain, in fact the opposite is more likely the case. Do you REALLY think Jeremy Foley offered Freeze $4.3 mil to be our coach without ever having even met the man?
Harbaugh would have been a waste of time when it was of the essence.
Foley hurt us by not firing the chump after the Ga. Southren loss, but he is far, far from cheap or stupid.
You should probably pay closer attention if you are going to opine so much. :lol:

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
I think Muschamp has damaged our brand far more than we would all like to admit. For four years these guys have watched us play horrible football and it may take more than one month of a guy telling them the times have changed to believe it. Some recruits may need to see it and that may mean we loose some guys this year. My biggest concern would be to get as many offensive lineman as possible, regardless of the stars, and coach them up. As much as it would be nice to get the DE's, you can't win without a solid O-Line and QB. A DE has never changed a program around and single handily won a team a title. Do we need a good Defense to compliment the O, yes, but one guy will not win or loose us a title on that side of the ball when you have smart coaches that can scheme around them. I think we will compete well with the talent we have here now and could still win the east next year based on what is returning, as long as we get some depth on the line. That would be enough to get us moving forward with the knowledge that in two years we are going to have a real down year based on this class not being very good, but everything behind it should be back to where it is supposed to be.

malo

Founding Member
Daily observer
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Can you guys take the coaching, blame chump, blame foley, money to a different thread?? I don't post much, but read constantly and having to filter through all the arguing over who is right or wrong about a coach we no longer have is ridiculous. This is a RECRUITING THREAD!:angry: AND :deadhorse:

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I'll keep it in the right threads. Apologies.

Edit: Give me a modstick and I'll move the posts around to the right threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator