Oh no! Nick Sproles in the transfer portal!

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
So then who’s our 3rd string QB currently?

I think Sproles is still on the team - just looking to do this as a grad transfer - getting the word out early? Not sure how that whole process works. Otherwise, Shane's son is in that room as well and KT can take some snaps, right?

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
That was dumb. of course Franks.
I think EJ is as likely as any to transfer. He's probably not gonna start next year and it's hard to imagine him coming back to run the wildcat 4 times a game. I'm not sure who's more likely, him or Franks. But I think 1 of them stays.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
I think this too. I haven't seen him in any mock drafts yet though.
Because you won't. Trask is not currently a draftable player. That could change with time, but there's not an NFL team out there that would draft Trask as is. He has below average arm strength and he's not that great at reading defenses. Now, he'll get it out quickly when the play is on schedule, but he usually takes a sack or forces a dangerous throw when his initial option isn't there.

In summary, Trask is staying. He has to. Unless he just wants to transfer or give up on football. Other than that, he's here next year. And I'm not mad at that. He's a decent college QB. And who knows, maybe with another year he can become an NFL prospect. I just read an article that said Trask was the 66th best QB. The 66th best guy doesn't get drafted.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Because you won't. Trask is not currently a draftable player. That could change with time, but there's not an NFL team out there that would draft Trask as is. He has below average arm strength and he's not that great at reading defenses. Now, he'll get it out quickly when the play is on schedule, but he usually takes a sack or forces a dangerous throw when his initial option isn't there.

In summary, Trask is staying. He has to. Unless he just wants to transfer or give up on football. Other than that, he's here next year. And I'm not mad at that. He's a decent college QB. And who knows, maybe with another year he can become an NFL prospect. I just read an article that said Trask was the 66th best QB. The 66th best guy doesn't get drafted.
You must watch different games than I do. Trask is a far better quarterback than you’re giving him credit for.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
hard to grade a guy with so little film, if he decides to leave which in my opinion would be a bad decision. His workouts are going to have be so off the charts for a team to pick him up before the third day.
There's been plenty of one year college starters at qb get drafted . They'll have 11 games worth. Probably not ideal but it happens often. Seems like it's usually 1st rounders for qb's. But idk. I wouldn't be surprised if the scouts really like him.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There's been plenty of one year college starters at qb get drafted . They'll have 11 games worth. Probably not ideal but it happens often. Seems like it's usually 1st rounders for qb's. But idk. I wouldn't be surprised if the scouts really like him.

Not really, we have had some but most have been multi-year starters, a lot of teams still put a lot of credence to the 26-27-60 rule (26 on the wonderlic, 27 starts in college, 60% complete). You are basing this one a quarterback how was knocked out of the last two season due to injury (17 preseason injury, '18 against Missouri) while in a backup role. He is has the help of being in the system for 2 years and in the NCAA for 4 years. I think he will be liked, but what about his game jumps out. He appears to be a quick decision maker and throws a catchable ball.

Since 2000 quarterbacks in the 1st round with a year of starting in D1 college:
Sanchez (09)
Newton (10)
Trubisky (17)
Haskins (19)
Murray(19)

Obviously we are into year one with Haskins and Murray so how they pan out is still in question. Sanchez won inspite him with the Jets and Trubisky still looks like a deer in headlines in year 3. Newton had exceptional athletism and also started a year in junior college.

Now look at the quarterbacks he will be completing with for a spot in the draft:
Tua Tagovailoa
Justin Herbert (who would have gone 1st last year)
Jake Fromm
KJ Costello (could decide to stay)
Nate Stanley
Steven Montez
Joe Burrow
Jordon Love
Jalen Hurts
Jacob Eason (could decide to stay)
Blake Barnet (5* who looks like schit)
Jamie Newman (could decide to stay)
Kellen Mond (could decide to stay)
Khalil Tate

naming the names I'm currently seeing as day 1 or 2 picks across a few sites

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Not really, we have had some but most have been multi-year starters, a lot of teams still put a lot of credence to the 26-27-60 rule (26 on the wonderlic, 27 starts in college, 60% complete). You are basing this one a quarterback how was knocked out of the last two season due to injury (17 preseason injury, '18 against Missouri) while in a backup role. He is has the help of being in the system for 2 years and in the NCAA for 4 years. I think he will be liked, but what about his game jumps out. He appears to be a quick decision maker and throws a catchable ball.

Sanchez (09)
Newton (10)
Trubisky (17)
Haskins (19)
Murray(19)

Obviously we are into year one with Haskins and Murray so how they pan out is still in question. Sanchez won inspite him with the Jets and Trubisky still looks like a deer in headlines in year 3. Newton had exceptional athletism and also started a year in junior college.

Now look at the quarterbacks he will be completing with for a spot in the draft:
Tua Tagovailoa
Jake Fromm
Nate Stanley
Steven Montez
Joe Burrow
Jordon Love
Jalen Hurts
Khalil Tate

Left out F. Franks.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think EJ is as likely as any to transfer. He's probably not gonna start next year and it's hard to imagine him coming back to run the wildcat 4 times a game..... QUOTE]

I don’t get why everybody thinks EJ will transfer if Trask comes back.?. He’d have to sit out a year anyway... so that makes no sense. Why not just remain the backup and know the starter role is yours to lose the next year.?.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Sanchez (09)
Newton (10)
Trubisky (17)
Haskins (19)
Murray(19)

Tua Tagovailoa
Jake Fromm
Nate Stanley
Steven Montez
Joe Burrow
Jordon Love
Jalen Hurts
Khalil Tate

There's only 2 multi year starters on that list that I would take over trask. Tua and burrow. The Oregon kid is a good prospect too. But the rest of that list is just guys that have started for 2 years. Kahlil tate? Seriously? Let's not pretend this qb class is loaded.

I'm not a talent evaluator but I think there's a couple things that the scouts will like about him outside of what you mentioned. He gets through all of his progressions, hes good on anticipation throws and throws really good one on one balls. If I'm scout, (obviously i'm not) that would the skills I'd be looking at.

Also you mention his injury history. I can't help but wonder if he'd strike while the iron is hot? Or maybe he's having alot of fun and comes back next year and I hope he does. Am I the only one who's enjoyed us throwing it around ?

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
There's only 2 multi year starters on that list that I would take over trask. Tua and burrow. The Oregon kid is a good prospect too. But the rest of that list is just guys that have started for 2 years. Kahlil tate? Seriously? Let's not pretend this qb class is loaded.

I'm not a talent evaluator but I think there's a couple things that the scouts will like about him outside of what you mentioned. He gets through all of his progressions, hes good on anticipation throws and throws really good one on one balls. If I'm scout, (obviously i'm not) that would the skills I'd be looking at.

Also you mention his injury history. I can't help but wonder if he'd strike while the iron is hot? Or maybe he's having alot of fun and comes back next year and I hope he does. Am I the only one who's enjoyed us throwing it around ?
You, coach, and me. Not sure of anyone else. Some on here wouldn't enjoy going undefeated and winning the NC unless our recruiting class also ranked number one.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

From a skills/athletic ability at the position, this is one of the most loaded classes in a decade. The top end is really good, and quality depth for every round under it. I think you are being a little too orange and blue glasses if your list stops at Tua and Burrow ahead of Trask. Herbert could very well be the top pick in this draft (with Tua falling due to injury). None of the guys in last years draft would be picked before the late 2nd round this year.

He runs this offense well. But it is not an offense that asks him to make NFL type throws often. There is a reason only two of Mullens qb's have translated to the next level. And one got on a schitty 49ers team and the other fell into a spot behind the best offensive line in the league while getting to play the schitty ass Eagles secondary twice a year. Where are the rest? Does this system properly get them ready for the next level?

Also you mention his injury history. I can't help but wonder if he'd strike while the iron is hot? Or maybe he's having alot of fun and comes back next year and I hope he does.

Lack of tape and injury history are going to be huge in evaluation if he were to come out this year. If you are a team who are pretty risk adverse how to weight the risk reward of a guy who has roughly 10 starts in the last 8 years and was knocked out for the year on two of the years. Also athletically nothing jumps off the screen when you are watching. He is solid, but solid in college doesn't mean schit in the pros. Wuerfell is one of the greastest passers in NCAA history, wasn't even just a guy in the NFL.

Am I the only one who's enjoyed us throwing it around ?

I'm pretty sure most of us are.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
You must watch different games than I do. Trask is a far better quarterback than you’re giving him credit for.
It just seems that way. I'm giving him tons of credit.

Think of it this way... Trask led us back to respectability. We need a game changer to take the next step. That's no knock on Trask. I've said numerous times that he's the best QB we've had since Tebow. I think he's representing himself extremely well. He was a zero * prospect with hardly any offers. He's out performed his expectations drastically. I hate that it sounds like I'm putting him down. I'm not. I love what he's done. But if I'm being truthful, I don't see an NFL talent there. Nor do I see someone that will lead us to a title. But if you think about it, that's not a knock on him. How many QBs are really championship worthy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb