Oklahoma beats Bama this weekend - I'm calling it now

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
T, any stock picks for the new year?
A couple of controversial calls at the beginning and the game coulda been different. The fumble should not have been over turned then a possession or 2 later a bama player didn't catch a td that was called at td on 3rd down. Woulda ended up a field goal. That's 10 points right there.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah but if they're down 1 it changes the dynamic.
If Bama isn't up by 40 points at halftime they don't screw around the entire second half and take their foot off the gas. The dynamic goes both ways.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
So let's imagine that t-gator is nuts, that Oklahoma has no chance in the national semifinal.

Wouldn't that just add to the argument that the playoff system is too narrow minded?

No - the whole justification for the 4 team playoff was “are we certain we have the top 2 teams”. With a 4 team playoff, you’re certain to at least have the top 2 included, and for the duration of this format it is true, just as it’s true this year.

Does anyone (rational.not UCF fans) argue that Alabama and Clemson were the CLEAR #1 and #2 this season? Nobody would have argued in the old format if the BCS championship game had these 2, and the “mechanics” of this extra round just extended the inevitable. Adding more teams wouldn’t have fixed, or changed, anything.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If Bama isn't up by 40 points at halftime they don't screw around the entire second half and take their foot off the gas. The dynamic goes both ways.
True but these things happened pretty early in the game. Especially the fumble on the first possession

Minister of Information

Highly Cosmopolitan
Aug 17, 2018
I felt like OU would give them a game to the end, and I was somewhat correct with the caveat of misunderestimating Bama's anger about Murray winning the Heisman over Tua, and the Heisman curse. Murray was not as sharp to begin the game as he might have been without all the Heisman hype. And without the first quarter 28 point explosion I think the game could have been a bit closer and more dramatic to the end, though it's hard to know just how much Bama relaxing with a 4 TD lead was a factor.

Still, I think this game shows that Bama is not proof against a high powered passing attack. I just can't visualize them losing to a true freshman.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No - the whole justification for the 4 team playoff was “are we certain we have the top 2 teams”. With a 4 team playoff, you’re certain to at least have the top 2 included, and for the duration of this format it is true, just as it’s true this year.

Does anyone (rational.not UCF fans) argue that Alabama and Clemson were the CLEAR #1 and #2 this season? Nobody would have argued in the old format if the BCS championship game had these 2, and the “mechanics” of this extra round just extended the inevitable. Adding more teams wouldn’t have fixed, or changed, anything.
It once again points to the unequalness of the conferences. The Big 12 is a perpetual joke. The SEC probably deserves two entrees, a champ and an at-large, every year.

If I were creating a "most competitive" Final Four this year, it would have been:

Bama
Clemson
Ohio State
Georgia

No one wants to see OSU or UGA, partly out of hate, partly out of multiple losses. And yet they're probably better than Oklahoma or Notre Dame.

I do give the Sooners credit for making it interesting late.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It once again points to the unequalness of the conferences. The Big 12 is a perpetual joke. The SEC probably deserves two entrees, a champ and an at-large, every year.

If I were creating a "most competitive" Final Four this year, it would have been:

Bama
Clemson
Ohio State
Georgia

No one wants to see OSU or UGA, partly out of hate, partly out of multiple losses. And yet they're probably better than Oklahoma or Notre Dame.

I do give the Sooners credit for making it interesting late.

Yeah, I think #1 and #2 were clear, and #3 and #4 were political. There’s an argument for Oklahoma, but ND ever being ranked in the top 10 is a farce. I saw some stat that showed they have lost the last 6 big post season bowl games since 2000 by an average of 24 points each game. Just STOP giving them any credit - they’d get their asses kicked by UCF.

All that said, it doesn’t matter who 3 and 4 were, because there was a clear 1 and 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb