Old School toys and games

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
1200px-Coleco_Electronic_Quarterback.jpg

think we had the baseball & basketball too, but this got the most play.

My brother-in-law got all three last Christmas for my kids. They absolutely love them. Great for road trips (while I have headphones on).

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Barrel of Monkeys, Battleship, Risk, Stratego and “get your butt outside”.
Very familiar. We only had a few board games and we'd usually only get to play them if it was raining. Otherwise, as you note, we had to go outside.

@divits @bradgator2 and @detroit reminded me of the model planes and tanks I spent hours building and painting. I got pretty good (though not as good as the example detroit posted) and even put together a few dioramas that I took to school and displayed in the library. I always liked the Monogram offerings and it usually had to be WWII era, though I enjoyed the planes of both world wars. My mother has kept three of the planes I put together and painted in my old bedroom (almost 50 years after). A Jap Zero, a Hellcat, and an Me 262. I've thought about trying my hand again, but just haven't gotten around to it.

Mostly, we played whatever ball was in season among the neighborhood kids. I did get a ping pong table for Christmas when I was in Jr. High and was king of the neighborhood until my best friend destroyed it while diving for a short shot.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
E7CEA6D7-7B4C-4D77-B380-4458B784C400.jpeg
Very familiar. We only had a few board games and we'd usually only get to play them if it was raining. Otherwise, as you note, we had to go outside.

@divits @bradgator2 and @detroit reminded me of the model planes and tanks I spent hours building and painting. I got pretty good (though not as good as the example detroit posted) and even put together a few dioramas that I took to school and displayed in the library. I always liked the Monogram offerings and it usually had to be WWII era, though I enjoyed the planes of both world wars. My mother has kept three of the planes I put together and painted in my old bedroom (almost 50 years after). A Jap Zero, a Hellcat, and an Me 262. I've thought about trying my hand again, but just haven't gotten around to it.

Mostly, we played whatever ball was in season among the neighborhood kids. I did get a ping pong table for Christmas when I was in Jr. High and was king of the neighborhood until my best friend destroyed it while diving for a short shot.
My first “glue blob” at about age 6.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
lionel-train-catalog-garland-johnson-canvas-print.jpg

Electric trains for Christmas was a staple for boys of my generation. The most popular electric trains were Lionel trains. I had the iconic Santa Fe Super Chief "War Bonnet". It was only an oval track on the floor. But one of the "cool" things about this train was the engine headlights and the passenger cars were lighted. I liked to turn out all the lights in the room and watch the train run around the oval track at night.

As a youth I got to ride on a couple of passenger trains before the Amtrak era. The classic passenger trains were beautiful in design and color. Amtrak trains are ugly and the service is often poor. Amtrak trains keep some of the names of by-gone eras like the City of New Orleans, and the Empire Builder, but gone are the trains with the names like the Hummingbird, the Palmetto and the Panama Limited. I remember one time my dad and I picked my grandfather up at the Jacksonville Union Terminall after he rode the Kansas City - Florida Special after he rode the train down from Memphis.

Last edited:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Forgot to mention the Hot Wheels race sets. A favorite was the Mongoose/Snake package...

upload_2018-6-22_9-40-45.jpeg

upload_2018-6-22_9-41-18.jpeg

My mother worked at a Shell Oil supply as a secretary and would bring home a bunch of racing posters, STP stickers and what not, so I was into the racing for a while. I actually entered my "Snake" funny car in a Hot Wheels derby at the mall in Tallahassee. Sadly, I never made it to the Gator Nationals to see some real racing.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Forgot to mention the Hot Wheels race sets. A favorite was the Mongoose/Snake package...

My mother worked at a Shell Oil supply as a secretary and would bring home a bunch of racing posters, STP stickers and what not, so I was into the racing for a while. I actually entered my "Snake" funny car in a Hot Wheels derby at the mall in Tallahassee. Sadly, I never made it to the Gator Nationals to see some real racing.

I still have my Mongoose funny car, though mine is silver. And despite living in G'ville for ~30yrs, I never made it to GatorNationals, something I do regret.

Jun 2, 2015
Grammar school years I played cowgirls & indians. I had a great set of silver pistols that the boys were envious of. Also played paper dolls, hop-scotch, jump rope & crazy eights and go-fish card games, roller skated and rode my bike a lot.

Teenage years I played ping pong, badminton, croquet, monopoly, canasta and hearts and my Dad taught me how to play poker. In addition, I played tackle in the Power-Puff football game @ Robert E. Lee in Jax. That is when I discovered that football teams had an actual play plan. I found out pretty fast that this was not a career I should pursue, but I liked the strategy of the play designs, etc. and developed a love of high school and college football.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
View attachment 9597

Electric trains for Christmas was a staple for boys of my generation. The most popular electric trains were Lionel trains. I had the iconic Santa Fe Super Chief "War Bonnet". It was only an oval track on the floor. But one of the "cool" things about this train was the engine headlights and the passenger cars were lighted. I liked to turn out all the lights in the room and watch the train run around the oval track at night.

As a youth I got to ride on a couple of passenger trains before the Amtrak era. The classic passenger trains were beautiful in design and color. Amtrak trains are ugly and the service is often poor. Amtrak trains keep some of the names of by-gone eras like the City of New Orleans, and the Empire Builder, but gone are the trains with the names like the Hummingbird, the Palmetto and the Panama Limited. I remember one time my dad and I picked my grandfather up at the Jacksonville Union Terminall after he rode the Kansas City - Florida Special after he rode the train down from Memphis.

I have 3 boxes of those I need to get priced that my dad gave me.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
2E184236-52F4-49A4-8D59-76C1229BE6D0.jpeg 4E7C8C98-2F17-42F0-B946-BF9576A84A91.jpeg B8845C26-24BC-453C-9B68-3A71A7B490CA.jpeg E62F85F3-1DBF-4E4D-9A03-FFA6381CBE23.jpeg

I’ll keep posting... here it is with white highlights over primer to create shading when OD goes on

OK, last time I posted I had primed and pre-shaded. I’ve picked at some more and now it’s sealed as “factory new” with some base rust on mufflers and tracks. Time for washes, weathering, pigments, and chipping to make it looked used. I’ve never done those things before. Forgot how much I liked doing this. Unlike shooting (my other hobby), I can actually just sit and think about stuff while doing this.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
FB2C419D-C895-4C9D-9B22-BE4D74788660.jpeg 1005E79F-D62B-4715-A722-5E3CE02A8E84.jpeg A7457DD3-2027-4662-BB6A-B7F728D8345E.jpeg
Project #2 under way. I’m going to try doing figures for this one and put them in a diorama. Still have to “weather” these two.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb