Older iPhone slowing down? That's a feature not a bug

Discussion in 'Home, Auto, Hobby and Computer Tech' started by pilot-in-fla, Dec 21, 2017.

1. pilot-in-fla

pilot-in-fla Deplorable
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $896
    Ratings:
    +4,779 / -72
    Many users of older iPhone have noticed their phones slow down more and more as each new more expensive version of the iPhone is introduced.

One might suspect the slowdown of older phones is due in part to code bloat in new versions of the system as well as Apple using the slowdown to encourage purchase of new phones.

But no, the slowdown is considered by Apple to be a feature -- slowing down the phone as the batter ages and has less capability. Make sense but why not have the phone notify you to replace the battery instead of slowing down more and more.

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2017/12/21/report-apple-slowing-older-iphone-models/

2. URGatorBait

URGatorBait #TeamBrad
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $2,448
    Ratings:
    +12,548 / -216
    what's important here isn't the throttling of these phones themselves, as it is a method to extend the life use of the device itself, but rather the fact that Apple refuses to be transparent about their practices until they are forced to.
    What else is Apple not being transparent about?

#2 URGatorBait, Dec 30, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    • pilot-in-fla

pilot-in-fla Deplorable
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $896
      Ratings:
      +4,779 / -72
      I'm going to give a positive shout out to Apple for their new policy requiring apps in their store show odds of various outcomes for "loot boxes" sold for real money. This may be one of the few cases in which Apple has put the interests of their customers ahead of the bottom line -- or perhaps they anticipated some sort of legal action in the future.

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2017/...s-in-their-store-must-disclose-loot-box-odds/

As far as the battery issue, Apple is now offering to replace the batteries for a more reasonable cost (although you have to have Apple do it to get that price) and belatedly indicating they will make some sort of software change to provide notification to users that their battery is starting to fade.

As far as other issues that are, as yet, unknown to Apple customers, who knows? Apple continues to run a very secretive operation.

• URGatorBait

URGatorBait #TeamBrad
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $2,448
      Ratings:
      +12,548 / -216
    • GatorJ

GatorJ Hopeful

Oxbucks:
      $3,858
      Ratings:
      +11,897 / -122
      Batteries lose 50% capacity in the 1st year. You should be replacing your Apple battery if you own your phone for more than a year.

• Zambo

Zambo Poo Flinger
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $2,906
      Ratings:
      +11,040 / -64
      You can’t be serious.

• GatorJ

GatorJ Hopeful

Oxbucks:
      $3,858
      Ratings:
      +11,897 / -122
      Unfortunately I am.about $50 to replace a battery.

• Zambo

Zambo Poo Flinger
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $2,906
      Ratings:
      +11,040 / -64
      I haven’t seen anything approaching that on any of the phones or iPads my family has owned, which is a bunch.

• GatorJ

GatorJ Hopeful

Oxbucks:
      $3,858
      Ratings:
      +11,897 / -122
      My oldest has a 5s on its 3rd battery. So slow and died after about 6 hours whether you used it or not. After new batteries it runs like a champ.

If you’re not looking for optimum performance you can get away with replacing them every 2 years.

• GatorJ

GatorJ Hopeful

Oxbucks:
      $3,858
      Ratings:
      +11,897 / -122
      This website says it was about 20% over a year. But I’ve experienced a larger drop off. The guys at the battery store told me that it’s about a 50% decline.

I’m not sure if I’ll see the same thing with the iPhone X. I’ve had it since November, I think. And the battery has been a strong as ever. I won’t know more for another 6 to 8 months.

• GatorJ

GatorJ Hopeful

Oxbucks:
      $3,858
      Ratings:
      +11,897 / -122
      I haven’t seen it with iPads either. Other than the first and second generation, every iPad I have still goes strong.

• URGatorBait

URGatorBait #TeamBrad
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $2,448
      Ratings:
      +12,548 / -216
      My note 5 came out in Aug 2015.
      I still get a full days charge on this phone...well, as long as I am not on this site :lol:
      This site eats some battery life.

• Zambo

Zambo Poo Flinger
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $2,906
      Ratings:
      +11,040 / -64
      So this 50% figure is coming from the guys who are in the business of selling batteries? :lol:

• GatorJ

GatorJ Hopeful

Oxbucks:
      $3,858
      Ratings:
      +11,897 / -122
      All I can tell you is that when I first buy my phone it will last about a day and a half with normal use. After a year it needs to be charged by about 4p. About 6 months after that it won’t make it past about 1p.

I’ve bought a new iPhone every year since the 1st one. Same with each one.

I have an iPad 1, 2, mini, Air2, and the new iPad. Only had issues with the 1 and 2. The others run like a champ.

• GatorJ

GatorJ Hopeful

Oxbucks:
      $3,858
      Ratings:
      +11,897 / -122
      Interestingly the batteries that I buy from the shops actually hold their charges longer than the factory ones.

• Zambo

Zambo Poo Flinger
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $2,906
      Ratings:
      +11,040 / -64
      Man I don't doubt some batteries go bad but I don't think that is normal. My phone is a year old and its 6:30 out here and I still have 60% battery left. And I used it today talking, surfing, and navigating.

• GatorJ

GatorJ Hopeful

Oxbucks:
      $3,858
      Ratings:
      +11,897 / -122
      I use my phone all day when I work. Call after call. Emails, texts, etc. constantly. I hardy ever use a computer. Mainly just for spreadsheets and complicated emails where I have to send attachments and have it formatted a specific way.

Maybe that’s why I have battery issues. I do use it a lot.

• URGatorBait

URGatorBait #TeamBrad
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $2,448
      Ratings:
      +12,548 / -216
      This site, especially if you are going to the direct website, also uses a lot of battery.

With any phone, if you are constantly on it, it's going to drain the battery no matter what you do to try to save it