Game Thread Orange & Blue Game

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Well that was a cluster f***. I keep getting told we are a running team now and to get over it. I keep getting told we are a team with QB "game managers" and to deal with it. I was told tonight by the booth guys not to expect many TDs and that the Gator fans will be disappointed. The only thing they left out was not to expect a lot of wins. I can't believe the main argument I have and is blown off by most and/or ignored is this: We DO NOT have a come from behind team. This is the SEC. Its a conference of juggernaut offenses and TDs.....LOTS OF THEM. There were SIX SEC teams in the final AP Poll of the season last year. So we get in a game and find ourselves 10, 14, 17 points down we are thrown out of our "game manager" running game and reaching for a game concept that requires THROWING THE DAMN BALL.....DOWN FIELD that we aren't designed to be. Well, mark that down as a loss. That's what I hate about this type of offense by design. It might have worked in the Sun Belt but it sure as hell won't work in the SEC.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER Lower Expectations.
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017

10 to 7? Are you chitting me? I thought guys in the box were kidding. FFS.

Florida has no QB and our coach may be retarded to believe that Mertz was the guy.
Unless of course he plans to only throw underneath the whole season. Then secretly brilliant.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Granted, it’s a spring game, and I wasn’t as engaged as I would be normally. But a couple observations…

Mertz isn’t great but he could be good enough, imo, and is clearly the guy until he’s passed or gets hurt. Miller is one of the least effective QBs I’ve ever seen at this level. I was excited to get him when he transferred and thought the OSU signing was validation. But two spring games and a bowl(regardless of circumstances) say he’s just not a good football player. If I was frustrated by anything tonight it was Max Brown getting a few reps and then more Miller. Not sure the insistence on making this a battle, but it isn’t, and if anything it’s with the 3rd string guy. But I’ll repeat what I’ve said, we can’t throw deeper than 20 yards. Every pass I saw tonight was severely undertaken, including the Burke catch of the night.

I did like several things I saw from the defense. I’d be surprised if OL is as bad as the DL made them seem at times. Denson had a nice pursuit and tackle. Heard Collins and McClellan’s name several times. We have some talent on that side.

All in all, it was very hohum and we have a lot of work to do. But it still seems all the players we are making plays are Napier’s guys—minus the QB position. Turned into a great evening. Was gonna just sit in my office looking annoyed and tossing papers and a stapler around, but glad I went.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Side note, Des Watson continues to be a fan favorite. He was on the field signing and getting pictures afterward along with Douglas and Pearsall, and was mobbed. All three super nice kids.

Also, with RP, I saw several middle aged women walking away after a pic visibly and audibly flush. He has to be absolutely slaying it in college. :lol:

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Good news: defense looks much better and deeper. RB room is crazy stacked. Young WRs flashed.

Just need to shore up OL which I think they will, and land a transfer QB to start. If not, I’m afraid it’s going to be a long season

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Also, even though it’s not on live tv, it will be covered by the media and reported when there’s no other spring games being played. Good move CBN.
Really looking forward to all the national media coverage that will be available tomorrow. Can't wait.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Kind of a Meh game and not taking much out of a Spring Game. Last year with all the offense in the SG we thought we'd be lights out.

A few quick hits:

QBs make me very nervous. Hopefully we hit the portal or Simmons reclassifies.
Offense was very vanilla..
That will not be the OL we see this fall.
Defense looks better or it could be offense is chitty. But that DLine looks promising.

Not a lot to take out of that game other than the recruits showing up, the commit, and maybe we got out without some injuries. Bout it.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Mertz was disappointing. He made some really bad decisions when under pressure that seasoned QBs shouldn't make. Cross the body throws and trying to pick up a bad snap rather than falling on it. Both no nos that FRESHMAN should learn.

Miller appears to be a better scrambler and decision maker. But only marginally.

Neither can throw the long ball for $hit.

They both remind me of of a former noodle arm QB here.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Well that was a cluster f***. I keep getting told we are a running team now and to get over it. I keep getting told we are a team with QB "game managers" and to deal with it. I was told tonight by the booth guys not to expect many TDs and that the Gator fans will be disappointed. The only thing they left out was not to expect a lot of wins. I can't believe the main argument I have and is blown off by most and/or ignored is this: We DO NOT have a come from behind team. This is the SEC. Its a conference of juggernaut offenses and TDs.....LOTS OF THEM. There were SIX SEC teams in the final AP Poll of the season last year. So we get in a game and find ourselves 10, 14, 17 points down we are thrown out of our "game manager" running game and reaching for a game concept that requires THROWING THE DAMN BALL.....DOWN FIELD that we aren't designed to be. Well, mark that down as a loss. That's what I hate about this type of offense by design. It might have worked in the Sun Belt but it sure as hell won't work in the SEC.
I see you still haven’t taken my advice. I cringed so hard reading this post I think I pulled something.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Mertz was disappointing. He made some really bad decisions when under pressure that seasoned QBs shouldn't make. Cross the body throws and trying to pick up a bad snap rather than falling on it. Both no nos that FRESHMAN should learn.

Miller appears to be a better scrambler and decision maker. But only marginally.

Neither can throw the long ball for $hit.

They both remind me of of a former noodle arm QB here.

Consider me shocked! A ****ty Wisconsin transfer that sucked there sucks here too all while being coached by a guy that’s not an OC but too stubborn to hire one? Like I’ve been saying, 5.5 wins next season…don’t get your hopes up!

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Consider me shocked! A ****ty Wisconsin transfer that sucked there sucks here too all while being coached by a guy that’s not an OC but too stubborn to hire one? Like I’ve been saying, 5.5 wins next season…don’t get your hopes up!
You’re an embarrassment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb