Original Film Footage New York 1911

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I thought this was really interesting.

I love that kind of stuff... thanks for posting that.

Several things caught my eye:
People nonchalantly wandering out into traffic

People dressed much better than they do today. Some of those dudes looked pretty sharp, especially with those hats.

For 1911, the panoramic shot near the end showed that the city looked fairly modern. Having lived there for a couple of years, it didn't look all that different in many respects.
Must have been a pain in the ass to build those types of buildings back in the day.

good stuff NV

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I love that kind of stuff... thanks for posting that.

Several things caught my eye:
People nonchalantly wandering out into traffic

People dressed much better than they do today. Some of those dudes looked pretty sharp, especially with those hats.

For 1911, the panoramic shot near the end showed that the city looked fairly modern. Having lived there for a couple of years, it didn't look all that different in many respects.
Must have been a pain in the ass to build those types of buildings back in the day.

good stuff NV
Great observations Diddy. I also was shocked at how much building had already been done. I knew it had been, as I too lived in NYC for multiple years, but it's just puts it into perspective.

Another observation I made was the lack of overweight people. Perhaps that's do to all the walking by most, but really didn't see any.

Also, good to know that the driving in that city has been the same way for 100+ years. With wondering horse and buggy carts made me think of the cabs today.

FlyingGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2017
Very cool but really thought it would end with a newspaper boy selling papers on the corner with the headline...

JEFFREY EPSTEIN DIDN’T KILL HIMSELF

:snicker:

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

I would assume that most of those veterans would have been born in the early to mid 1840’s to have fought in the Civil War. That means that most of those Vets were in their upper 70’s when this was filmed.
Judging by the opening credits- was this filmed in Jax? Or did I misunderstand that?

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I couldn't find any other info on the Mackey and Coutant Film Company other than what is shown in the credits. Yes the event was held in Jacksonville.
LibGuides: History of Jacksonville, FL: Confederate Park
Confederate Park, located at 956 Hubbard Street, opened in 1907 when the city purchased the twenty acres between Main and Liberty streets to connect the grounds of Springfield Park (now Klutho Park) and the Waterworks to create a continuous greenway running along Hogan's Creek to the St. Johns River. Originally named Dignan Park after Peter Dignan, a City Council member and chairman of the Board of Public Works who became the center of an anti-Catholic backlash when he was appointed postmaster in 1914, the site was rebranded as Confederate Park five months after the United Confederate Veterans celebrated their 24th annual reunion there May 6-9, 1914. The event drew 8,000 veterans and a total of 70,000 visitors to the city. The park later became home to the City’s first supervised playground.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Another observation I made was the lack of overweight people. Perhaps that's do to all the walking by most, but really didn't see any.
great point. All the hats struck me. EVeryone had their head covered it seemed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb