OT accepts UF Walk on status over UCF scholarship

fasonfan

Jesus Saves
Nov 1, 2017
3 star OT Mark Pitts turns down a full ride at UCF to be a walk on at Florida. Heard it on Zach abolverdi podcast. That's crazy and shows UCF is still UCF.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Fantastic WO for us though. No burned scholarship and you never know how these OL will develop. Could turn into a rotational guy. Unheralded story but one of the best of the recruiting season so far.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sure there was some stipulation that if he played he would earn the scholly, we've been shorthanded for a decade, and it's a position of need, so a win win for everyone.

Plus he wants to be a Gator !! sounds like he has confidence in himself to make it in to the rotation, I'm cheering for him.

Go Gators

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
According to UCF he was processed. Also they are having trouble recruiting this year because they are so loaded with talent.
2017 55th
2018 62nd
2019 60th
2020 59th
:dunno:
Maybe they 55th ranked class was loaded with diamonds in the rough.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
3 star OT Mark Pitts turns down a full ride at UCF to be a walk on at Florida. Heard it on Zach abolverdi podcast. That's crazy and shows UCF is still UCF.

It shows UF is still UF. I applaud the kid.

Maxxodd

Chill Winston
Lifetime Member
Dec 2, 2015

Maybe. I don't know his situation. He could could come from a wealthy family where a scholarship isn't as important as playing at an elite institution.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
He's a big boy but he looks doughy and soft. He'll have to spend at least a year in an NCAA S&C program before he's ready to compete for playing time.

That said, he's definitely viewed as having some potential because he got over a couple dozen scholarship offers, including from Ole Miss, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, West Virginia, Syracuse and Boston College. He was also offered by Harvard, Yale, Princeton and Dartmouth, so he must be pretty damn smart.

He's a Gainesville kid who went to Buchholz, so it appears that he loves the Gators and values staying close to home more than getting an Ivy League education. That kind of desire to be part of the program is worth at least one extra star in my ratings book.
No offense to the kid if he had ivy offers and turned them down... not the brightest choice. UF is a fine school but a degree from one of those schools will go a lot longer for kid no projected to make his career in football.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No offense to the kid if he had ivy offers and turned them down... not the brightest choice. UF is a fine school but a degree from one of those schools will go a lot longer for kid no projected to make his career in football.
Some people just dont want to gomTHAT far from home and even w partual schollies, it is incomprehensibly expensive.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Some people just dont want to gomTHAT far from home and even w partual schollies, it is incomprehensibly expensive.
Pays off quick as long as you aren’t aiming for a liberal arts degree. Those are life changing institutions. Totally worth the debt.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Need some bodies and depth there. Kid wants to be a Gator, so be it. This could be a real good test of Savage's work. SAVAGE, shape his azz up!

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I hear you, but let me go out on a limb and stereotype -- I've noticed that a lot of white O-linemen gravitate toward the engineering field for their majors. I could be wrong but I don't think an Ivy League engineering degree is worth a tremendous amount more than one from UF. Our engineering school is in the top 50 nationwide.

Or, maybe he already has a post-collegiate career lined up and is going to work for a business owned by family or friends, so it doesn't really matter where he gets his degree.
I’d like to see how many UF football players - at any position - are currently pursuing an engineering degree. As an UF engineering grad, I do not need my fingers or toes to count how football players I saw in my classes. Not precluding the possibility - just stating that’s highly unlikely. As to how much an Ivy engineering degree is worth - your guess is as good as mine.

I guess this is possible too but the point stands - that piece of paper with an Ivy crest is a heck of a back-up plan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.