OTA antennas and set up for digital tv

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So I'm looking into doing some combo of OTA tv as well as streaming tv. OTA for the live local channels, and streaming tv for most of the cable channels I want.

Anyway, a friend of mine let me borrow some cheapo OTA indoor wall antenna, this one I believe, but there are no markings on the unit itself outside of the company logo. I'm assuming it's this one because of the light on the unit. None of the others appear to have it.
http://viewtvbox.com/60mile.html

I get 3 of the 4 major networks with virtually no problem. CBS (6.1), ABC (9.1), and FOX (35.1).
However, NBC (2.1) is very difficult to get. I can only get it in one room, and even then it's very blocky in that room. I put it up about as high as I can get it (9ft is the ceiling height), and that is the result.

This particular antenna is one that he got for free and never used...let me borrow it just to see what kind of reception I could get.
I'm wondering if the lack of NBC is just due to this being a cheapo antenna.

All stations are between 25 and 27 miles of my house, and all face in pretty much the same direction from my house....a little north of directly east.

Want to know what kind of luck anyone else has with other brands.

I'm also considering maybe a slightly larger antenna that I can put in the attic, which would put the antenna roughly 15-20 ft off of the ground to try to help with the signal reception.
Would rather not have an outdoor antenna.

Beyond that, I was thinking of running that antenna, once I find the right one, to a Tablo..not sure which one yet, but it provides a point to receive the OTA signal, add an external hard drive to make a DVR, and then distribute to your tvs via your router and streaming devices such as an Amazon Fire TV box, etc.
https://www.tablotv.com/

Has anyone ever used any of the Tablo models?

Not sure what streaming service I will go with either but I already have a PS4 so figured I'll start with PS vue and see if any of the buffering issues happen. Also will likely get an Amazon Fire TV box for the main tv (for the Tablo), and then Amazon Fire TV sticks for the other tvs.

First things first, I want to know what some others think about the OTA antennas, as well as your complete set up if you've cut the cord.

While I'll still need Spectrum or Comcast (both are an option at my house) for internet...I'm over paying their high ass fees for cable.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
to cut short, if they are all in the same direction then I would install an amplified yagi(Walmart) with an additional distribution amplifier if going more than one tv and cheat by aiming toward the weakest station.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
I receive excellent signal using that device from approx 35-40 miles from the transmitting digital antenna. Mine is mounted outside my house.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
19595fcae531c2c.jpg

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
gren says you're a thief Goon :grin:

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
All of your networks are UHF except for your NBC (2.1 and it is High VHF which might be your problem.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
All of your networks are UHF except for your NBC (2.1 and it is High VHF which might be your problem.
that's what I said early on in the chatterbox....friggin Goon started rambling on about UHF and VHF don't exist anymore :lol:

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
One more thing.....

These antennas are directional, so aiming the unit at the transmitter is critical. If you happen to be in a location where you have two transmitting signals 180 degrees apart, these antennas may pick up both.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
One more thing.....

These antennas are directional, so aiming the unit at the transmitter is critical. If you happen to be in a location where you have two transmitting signals 180 degrees apart, these antennas may pick up both.
Actually, all 4 major stations are between 88 and 94 degrees from my location. 3 of them at 88 degrees (one of which is NBC which is the one I'm having an issue with). But again, that's with a cheapo indoor flat wall antenna. Fox ABC and CBS come in just fine with it, very clear.

I guess part of my question is, would another brand, perhaps better built, work better at picking up that last major network, or should I skip that flat wall antennas altogether and go straight to what you have. Which admittedly, it was one that I was leaning towards already, if I had to go that route (though I intend to set it up in the attic.)

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I picked up my antenna for 120, I ziptied it to the electric box, just as holding place, I pick up 72 different channels

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
the four bay bowtie is a good antenna , good gain, less by a little than a yagi and not as directional. It might take more vertical attic space.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
So I'm looking into doing some combo of OTA tv as well as streaming tv. OTA for the live local channels, and streaming tv for most of the cable channels I want.

Anyway, a friend of mine let me borrow some cheapo OTA indoor wall antenna, this one I believe, but there are no markings on the unit itself outside of the company logo. I'm assuming it's this one because of the light on the unit. None of the others appear to have it.
http://viewtvbox.com/60mile.html

I get 3 of the 4 major networks with virtually no problem. CBS (6.1), ABC (9.1), and FOX (35.1).
However, NBC (2.1) is very difficult to get. I can only get it in one room, and even then it's very blocky in that room. I put it up about as high as I can get it...
I burst into laughter. :lol:

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I just cut the cord. I installed this antenna that I purchased from Amazon,

Winegard FlatWave Air FL6550A Amplified Digital Outdoor HDTV Antenna (4K Ready, High-VHF, UHF, Black) - 60 Mile Long Range

Couldn't get the Amazon link to paste correctly.

Here's an online tool to help with assess what you signal should look like, http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

We got rid of WOW and went with ATT Fiber, OTA, Sling, Netflix and Hulu. Plus we have Amazon Prime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb