Other than retirement, the most controversial off-the-field choice Spurrier made as our coach?

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I know I don't start many of these topics, but with all the Meyer stuff going on, I wondered what was the worst thing our greatest coach (Spurrier) could be accused of while our coach. I'm 37 now, so Spurrier took over when I was 9. I never remembered Spurrier getting accused of any NCAA wrong doing. I remember Fred Taylor doing something with a credit card I believe and given a second chance. Remember the Gaffney incident and Spurrier letting him come back off Scholarship. With a coach like Meyer and many others that have tons of skeletons in their closets, what is Spurrier's biggest black mark against him while here? I just don't remember much controversy while he was here.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Many. Most of his DC hires.

Insisting on running from under center til 97 probably the worst.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I actually have to think about it. He didn't make many miscues on or off the field, ar least not here.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I actually have to think about it. He didn't make many miscues on or off the field, ar least not here.

Just had me wondering if he was ever accused of looking the other way at some wrong doing. I couldn't thing of any accusation.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Many. Most of his DC hires.

Insisting on running from under center til 97 probably the worst.
I think he's alluding to handling of player matters. Hell, add Sabelhaus if you're gonna go in that direction.

gatorfan81

Founding Member
Done
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
The worst thing for coaches nowadays is social media. Kids do stupid stuff and within minutes everyone knows. Now athletes be tweeting thanks for the bag of cash Saban #mommagotanewhouse

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
He was considered a whiner by most of the country. Obviously, we loved him because he was ours and beat everyone’s ass most of time. That said, if you weren’t a Gator then he was pretty much hated.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Just had me wondering if he was ever accused of looking the other way at some wrong doing. I couldn't thing of any accusation.
Maybe Kearse. Wasn't he connected to some unseemly agent? Tank Black?

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
What is the likelihood in todays college football that a coach can run as clean of a big time program that he did?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I vaguely remember the Tank Black thing, I think Kearse may have been involved.
Not certain if SOS could have known. I do remember hearing stories of Kearse driving around campus in a 7 Series Beemer. Could have happened after his final season.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Tank Black? Spurdog wasn’t implicated in his BS but some of his players were. By today’s standards, folks would claim “he should have known”. Edit: Was researching names and didn’t see others had posted.... oh well.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Seems like I remember Mo Collins doing some NCAA wrong doing and Spurrier reporting it, which led to a couple games suspension.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Tank Black? Spurdog wasn’t implicated in his BS but some of his players were. By today’s standards, folks would claim “he should have known”. Edit: Was researching names and didn’t see others had posted.... oh well.
Excellent point. Coaches now are expected to be everwhere all the time monitoring their players.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Jeez, we'd be at post #169 if this thread were about Meyer.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
The worst thing for coaches nowadays is social media. Kids do stupid stuff and within minutes everyone knows. Now athletes be tweeting thanks for the bag of cash Saban #mommagotanewhouse

This may be the biggest headache for coaches nowadays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.