Our Defense

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We're so busy debating the offensive side of the ball that we may have missed the obvious fact that there were issues on defense.

Starting with the tackling.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Tackling was rough, but that can be addressed and fixed. Other than that, it wasn’t terrible. They hit a few plays here and there, but every team is going to do that at some point. Wilson seemed a little rusty, but he’ll get his groove back. Defensive line was obviously dominant. Worst thing that happened was the terrible effort on pursuit on the long TD run, and that will no doubt be corrected by the next game.

gatorfan81

Founding Member
Done
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I think this defense was so fired up and emotional they were more worried about making that ooooh play and not just wrapping up. The secondary will get their legs underneath them and become a force. Don't worry we got our lamb coming for the slaughter in two weeks to practice techniques on

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
I will say this about safety play, I think Stewart's suspension hurt. The TD pass may not happen if Stewart is in. He has the best eye for the ball of the Safeties, granted thats not saying much, but he might read the play and step in front of the pass. Or he may actually make the tackle. Burney, Miller and Reese were decently solid most of the game. Obviously the long TD aside.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Not trying to dis the defense. We had a gazillion sacks. We made plays. Greenard and Miller had great games.

We also made the Miami quarterback look like Tommy Frazier on the long run. That was a WTF moment.

Second year in a row where tackling has been suspect.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We are a bend but don’t break defense. Same as last year. I wasn’t surprised by the tackling issues as that’s not practiced much in the preseason to prevent injuries. I expected more scoring which is why I lost my bets.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I'm not gonna bag on the Defense. Are they great? No....but they played decent up front....LBer coverage is gonna get exposed this year just like most of us knew.
DB's would have been running stadium steps today if I were their coach for their lack of desire to put someone on the ground.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
We also made the Miami quarterback look like Tommy Frazier on the long run. That was a WTF moment.

I thought it was the QB as well...it wasn't. Did make me feel a little better, not much, but some.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I thought it was the QB as well...it wasn't. Did make me feel a little better, not much, but some.
Was being sarcastic. We were a defeated team in Tempe when Frazier made that now-infamous run.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Does anyone know if Elam tackles anything like his Brother/cousin/uncle or whoever he is related to? If so he needs reps before conference play begins.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Miller was a pleasant surprise.

I’d say limiting the boneheaded plays and wrapping up are the two biggest issues.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
There were occasions we did a great job wrapping up. Many times, not so much. It was quite the Jeckle and Hyde performance.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Im ready for open tryouts from the student body for safety. There have to be hundreds that are better than the garbage we put on the field.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
The D just looked rusty to me. In years past the first game has typically been a directional school/tuneup game but this year (and a couple years back) we opened with a more worthy opponent. A lot of the rustiness gets hidden against a cupcake. As bad as Miami was last year, I don't think they're a cupcake, especially given the context of the game yesterday.

TL;DR I think most of the bad is fixable.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
We are a bend but don’t break defense. Same as last year. I wasn’t surprised by the tackling issues as that’s not practiced much in the preseason to prevent injuries. I expected more scoring which is why I lost my bets.

Probably an accurate assessment. We are talent deficient big time at LB and at safety and will get hurt by teams who have the ability to exploit those spots. scrotUM tried, but their OLine is so bad that they could not sustain it. We have a good dline, but not unblockable as it appeared against scrotUM. Still some piss poor technique on too many occasions in the secondary. I just think it is Joe Lee Dunn Jr. and when it is working it looks like a Rolls Royce, but when it is bad, it is really bad. Other than the mental stupidity in the secondary, my biggest issue was not double teaming that scrotUM TE on every play right from the start. Everyone who remotely follows the game knew that he was by far their best and going to be the most featured threat.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't catch that and luckily I accidentally deleted this garbage game so I don't have to watch it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator