Oysters - Jacked Up & Rickefeller

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
No but I do love me some oysters. Raw, steamed, roasted, fried...doesn’t matter.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No but I do love me some oysters. Raw, steamed, roasted, fried...doesn’t matter.
iu

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
The Oyster Bar in Pensacola sold tee shirts that said, "Shuck me, suck me, eat me raw." Somehow it should also said "stew me, fried me, roast me on an open fire (with butter and garlic)." I can't think of a way oyster aren't good. Even if they do look like something that dropped out of an Ox's nose.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Damn, I LOVE oysters. Never been to Rick’s but used to live in the Bay Area.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Aww shucks. I’m the only one that doesn’t like oysters I guess. :lol:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Aww shucks. I’m the only one that doesn’t like oysters I guess. :lol:

I’ll be honest, I’ve only had oysters a few times, and maybe only once as an adult. They were ok and I guess I could see the appeal. But I once dated a girl in Panama City Beach that raved about them. Any time I’d visit, her and her mom would insist that I eat them. A guy died once while I was there and they just brushed it off as nothing. Almost cult-ish. It struck me that someone would risk their lives to eat them.

Anyway, she had a serious coke problem, and the mother had the most annoying voice I’ve ever heard. I tend to over analyze, and the thought of dying from eating something I didn’t even want in the first place, while listening to cokehead and her mom talk, seemed like Top-5 worst possible ways to go. I just couldn’t take that risk. So I’m not much of an oyster person either.

Last edited:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The worst part of having my immune system destroyed and rebuilt is that I can no longer have raw oysters. For most of my life, it was a regular treat (during the “r” months) to enjoy a dozen raw ones and some cold beer. I can remember riding with my granddaddy to East Point to pick up a couple of bushels around Thanksgiving. A croaker sack back in the late ‘60’s / early ‘70’s was about $6. We’d shuck ‘em around a fire and eat as many as we could stand, then save the rest for mama’s oyster dressing and some oyster stew (with half & half and real butter was the best). Nowadays it’s only fried or baked / grilled and they’re great, but I sure miss ‘em raw.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The worst part of having my immune system destroyed and rebuilt is that I can no longer have raw oysters. For most of my life, it was a regular treat (during the “r” months) to enjoy a dozen raw ones and some cold beer. I can remember riding with my granddaddy to East Point to pick up a couple of bushels around Thanksgiving. A croaker sack back in the late ‘60’s / early ‘70’s was about $6. We’d shuck ‘em around a fire and eat as many as we could stand, then save the rest for mama’s oyster dressing and some oyster stew (with half & half and real butter was the best). Nowadays it’s only fried or baked / grilled and they’re great, but I sure miss ‘em raw.

Back in the Ville we’d get a bushel and throw em on the smoker with other assorted meats on most game days. Had to keep an eye on em to eat em as soon as they opened or they’d dry out a little. I’ve been sick from eating raw oysters before - thanks CJs! But that never stopped me, except for that week.
We get some pretty good oysters out here in Seattle from Puget Sound and Japan. In non-Covid times we’d enjoy them on date night a couple times a year at a nice little oyster bar in Ballard. Can’t wait to go back again.

Last edited:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020

I love the concept of the bonfire, beer and a bushel of oysters. Just hold the oysters. As a kid I would tag along with my older sister and her friends would have a party and hang out. To my credit I did try one before I said yuck.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I love the concept of the bonfire, beer and a bushel of oysters. Just hold the oysters. As a kid I would tag along with my older sister and her friends would have a party and hang out. To my credit I did try one before I said yuck.
You have a sister? Who knew? Well, besides your parents and all...

So, are you the pretty sister or the smart one? :scratchchin: WAIT! Don't answer that just yet. I wanna see how Seedy answers that first... :lol:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
You have a sister? Who knew? Well, besides your parents and all...

So, are you the pretty sister or the smart one? :scratchchin: WAIT! Don't answer that just yet. I wanna see how Seedy answers that first... :lol:

She went to FSU and I went to UF.
Obviously I’m the smart one but why can’t I be both? ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb