Patrick Surtain to UF rumor

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

See the earlier posts. If we do that, we cannot recruit American Heritage for four years.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Is what he's done at American Heritage less than what a graduate assistant would have done and learned?

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Because we can't recruit kids from a great school for four years if we do that. I know that being a player doesn't always translate into being a coach, but he's done the job he's trying to teach at the highest level it can be done. I'm willing to give him a shot. I'd like to get both him and Buckley with one taking corners and the other safeties.

MotownGator

Legacy member
BANNED
Jul 19, 2014
How many vacancies do we have? Is anyone on the present list being let go? I thought you could only have 10 coaches max.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not only have I heard him, but I'm seeing whispers of possibly Tim Brewster for TEs and maybe Dameyune Craig as QBs......and apparently Zook is interested in coming back to warmer weather and even put out feelers last year to maybe come here for ST. Not sure on Knox.
We'll cross Craig off the list.

@BruceFeldmanCFB: I'm hearing that Dameyune Craig, who played QB for Jimbo Fisher at Auburn is expected to follow his old coach to #TAMU as offensive assistant, probably coaching WRs. Ex #Miami OC James Coley, now at #UGA, is expected to end up as #TAMU's OC, working with Jimbo again.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
How many vacancies do we have? Is anyone on the present list being let go? I thought you could only have 10 coaches max.

I think only 2 Assistant Coaching positions have been filled so far.

Edit: 3 positions. Hevesy, Gonzalez, Grantham.

5-Star Finger

Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Buckley is proven in my opinion and is 1a. You could give him the title and Buckley the power with Sustain acting as his assistant in the secondary. This gives him space for OJT at this level.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Guys that rule only applies in a non coaching/assistant role. If he's an on field coach it doesn't matter.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Buckley is proven in my opinion and is 1a. You could give him the title and Buckley the power with Sustain acting as his assistant in the secondary.

Is Buckley that good? I don’t know. He just doesn’t stand out for me. But maybe I’m wrong.

Assuming that we keep Davis, Seider, and Skipper we will have 6 assistant coaches. If we luck out and get Brewster that leaves 3 slots.

That would be seven mega recruiters.

5-Star Finger

Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Is Buckley that good? I don’t know. He just doesn’t stand out for me. But maybe I’m wrong.

Assuming that we keep Davis, Seider, and Skipper we will have 6 assistant coaches. If we luck out and get Brewster that leaves 3 slots.

That would be seven mega recruiters.
I think he's done well with what he has had to work with.

5-Star Finger

Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
I'd love for Zook to get some redemption. We only get 10 assistants. Do you think we keep Davis and Skipper after NSD, or are they just here to keep the class together?

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I appreciate your long, factual answer. Your knowledge makes your posts important. I do think that what he learned in the NFL together with what he has demonstrated he can teach in Wison, Jr, and Campbell bodes well for his productivity as a dB coach. Marco came in and played well immediately. A good bit of that should go to his house h s coaching.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You can’t take Surtain as a QC. We just recruited AH kids last cycle. If he comes to UF it’d have to be as an on field coach.

As for breaking down film, i’m not sure you become a pro bowler without copious amounts of time in the film room. Also, Neal Anderson broke down film for his kid’s 12/under team. Surtain is at a powerhouse HS program, so i’m pretty sure he’s familiar with film study and that he’s been around coaches...probably more than a GA.

Is he the right fit? Not my call. Does he want to be a college coach? Who knows, Neal Anderson didn’t want to coach college ball. I was pretty happy hearing we could get Buckley. I’d be happy with Surtain if he was a fit. He can’t be any worse than Bell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb