DC Patrick Toney & the Defense

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Look at my Jags. From 3-13 to 2-1 with a majority of the same roster.

Crazy what good coaching can do!

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Four games in, our new DC has us sitting at 105th in yards allowed per game (right between Western Michigan and Memphis) and 88th in points allowed per game (right between Indiana and Army). Seems like a great hire.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
Guess he has figured out that those preseason draft boards have his name sliding downward. Also he has finally figured out that another single digit jersey has been making plays on the DL and he figured out that the fans realize it is not him!
Outplayed by Big Dez and McClellan

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
Four games in, our new DC has us sitting at 105th in yards allowed per game (right between Western Michigan and Memphis) and 88th in points allowed per game (right between Indiana and Army). Seems like a great hire.
Let’s do this, of the Mullen guys, name 3 of the 5 DBs we run that you think go in the 1st 3 rounds in the draft. Then name 1 LB and 2 DL.
———
My challenge is still open if you wanna play. Hell, I’ll make it easy
Of the Mullen boys
Name 1 DB teams avoid
Name 1 LB you trust in coverage
Name 1 DL you trust to make a play in the clutch

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Let’s do this, of the Mullen guys, name 3 of the 5 DBs we run that you think go in the 1st 3 rounds in the draft. Then name 1 LB and 2 DL.
———
My challenge is still open if you wanna play. Hell, I’ll make it easy
Of the Mullen boys
Name 1 DB teams avoid
Name 1 LB you trust in coverage
Name 1 DL you trust to make a play in the clutch
I'm sure Western Michigan is supremely more talented. I mean they don't have any of these "Mullen guys" you're so down on Patrick.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
And yet, you gave no names of these good players you claim we have.. lmao.

Its cool, man. Just say you hate PT and we'll accept that as your opinion.
Never thought id see the day ppl implied Corey fkn Raymond cant coach.
Guess Coach Peterson is bad as well, Coach Spencer?? Smh

Last edited:

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
I'm sure Western Michigan is supremely more talented. I mean they don't have any of these "Mullen guys" you're so down on Patrick.
Of the 4 games we have played 3 of those teams have a collective record of 9-1. I won't make excuses for USF that was atrocious and I don't disagree that our D has been horrible. We lack talent in damn near every position and knew that coming in. Hell that's all we have talked about over the last several years.... is the abysmal recruiting and now it's in the forefront.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
Of the 4 games we have played 3 of those teams have a collective record of 9-1. I won't make excuses for USF that was atrocious and I don't disagree that our D has been horrible. We lack talent in damn near every position and knew that coming in. Hell that's all we have talked about over the last several years.... is the abysmal recruiting and now it's in the forefront.
Ppl complained every cycle how our former coaches couldnt recruit and now in 4 games into the new regime they expect chicken salad out of chicken ****.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
I will say that I think it's time to let some of the younger guys get more reps. Black needs reps at LB. Collier, Border, McMillon. Can't keep putting Dean out there...I'd rather see a youngster get burned and then learn and make the adjustment. Black can't be worse than Burney. Many of the current crop still have Mullen/Fat Todd stench on them.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
I'd be fine if Burney, Johnson and Dean never took another snap at UF. Hopefully the next 2 weeks we can get some young kids in the game.

Any word on Hill coming back?
McClellan needs more reps on the DL. Dexter needs to step up

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
We've seen completely blown coverages. It's either dumb players effing up or lousy coaching - we really don't know yet, although I lean towards the former. Probably some of both.

I couldn't agree more that we should get as many youngsters playing as possible.

It's a brand new system, brand new staff. Players with horrible habits from the Grantham years. I'm not ready to fire anyone yet.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
In a new system any and all players should be given the opportunity. Years on the team has nothing to do with it...it's new for everyone.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Until TGs players are gone, it is what it is.
The got him fired btw and didn’t play well under his replacement either. I think it’s time we say hey, it may be the players

X1000. I think we have a few pieces to the puzzle but until we get serious at LB and safety and get more experience on the Dline we are what we are,....mid level talent

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
Watson flinging USF’s 165 lb running back around like a rag doll was entertaining. Our entire OL should have been able to do the same with him all day long.
I think his nickname should be The Whomping Willow.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
You left out out talented but have said it enough to where we all want the recruiting to pay dividends. This years quick cycle recruit group has produced more than imagined already, right?

I have a theory which I hope is correct. The last couple of seasons on D we could not get lined up nor could we execute and most of us put that on Fat Todd and his "intricate blitzes". This first season it does look like the scheme is pure vanilla (both D and O) which makes it difficult to compete against ranked or functional teams. My theory is Napier and staff decided it's more important to simplify everything and teach everything from ground zero to learn the basic skills, like lining up correctly and tackling (more work to come). This might explain why it doesn't look as exciting as established powers but there is a cold logic behind it. They haven't been convinced the returning players are capable of handling multiple complex schemes. So instead they are very focused the KISS method and giving all they got in basic format. No one can question the heart and soul displayed to date. I think it reasonable to let the season play out, let them teach what they can and weed out the stragglers and recruit like crazy.

The coaches can coach them correctly, demonstrate it a thousand times in practice and in film study but they can't play the game for them. Let's please not start a fire the coaches thread, it's a bad scheme.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Thanks for sharing the info on Collier. I've wondered why he wasn't seeing the field and now I know. BTW - ESPN and Rivals stayed high on Collier to the end; both had him as the #3 CB (and a 5* on Rivals), whereas 247 had him at #18 CB (and #39th ranked player in Florida).

Cousin Eddie really had a knack for finding highly ranked recruits whose college development hasn't matched their lofty rankings. To be fair, begrudgingly I might add, he did bring in a few, like Ethan White, who seem to be overachieving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator