Patriots vs. Chiefs

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Agree.

And as I said, it's also Reid's MO. I believe he's now 1-5 in Conference Championship Games, and of course, 0-1 in the Super Bowl. He was going to find a way to lose this game and his team fed off of that.

Agreed, I was honestly surprised they showed up against the Colts

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Agree.

And as I said, it's also Reid's MO. I believe he's now 1-5 in Conference Championship Games, and of course, 0-1 in the Super Bowl. He was going to find a way to lose this game and his team fed off of that.
Disclaimer: Not a Reid apologist.

I'm sorry, sofla, but that's just BS. The Iggles were game for the Pats and showed verve on the touchdown drive that put them up late, the one that you criticized for not eating up enough clock.

I'm not sure that Reid could have known Mohomes was going to connect on a 38-yard completion that changed a FG drive into a potential game-winning TD drive. Hell, I'm not sure anyone even touched the Chiefs running back into the end zone. It was as if the Pats laid down to save the timeouts and clock for Brady.

There's no reason for Reid to apologize for taking the Pats to the brink. It was a great game that could have gone either way.

Last edited:

Malaka

Sep 6, 2018

I'm sorry, sofla, but that's just BS. The Iggles were game for the Pats and showed verve on the touchdown drive that put them up late, the one that you criticized for not eating up enough clock.

I'm not sure that Reid could have known Mohomes was going to connect on a 38-yard completion that changed a FG drive into a potential game-winning TD drive. Hell, I'm not sure anyone even touched the Chiefs running back into the end zone. It was as if the Pats laid down to save the timeouts and clock for Brady.

There's no reason for Reid to apologize for taking the Pats to the brink. It was a great game that could have gone either way.

Truth is in the middle. Reid showed a total lack of awareness when the chiefs threw deep into the end zone on 1st down before the 2 min warning. You score when you can but he knew his defense was terrible and he knew Brady would get another chance if they scored so fast. I actually do think the patriots let the chiefs run it in knowing they would have 2 minutes plus to counter.

But truth be told as bad as the chiefs defense was we knew that's what they were. The KC offense and mahomes blew the game in the first half by not showing up.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

There's no reason for Reid to apologize for taking the defending champs to the brink. It was a great game that could have gone either way.

He did take them to the brink. He also did the same against the Rams. And the Bucs. And the Delhome lead Panthers. And the Cardinals. And of course, the Patriots. It's in his blood and always has been.

When you have the ball with 3:32 and your opponent has a full complement of timeouts, and just so happens to be Tom Brady and the Patriots, you should try to at least to leave them as little time as possible. The very first play was a deep pass. Then after 2 failed passes and the holding call on Jackson, he goes deep two plays in a row again. As I said, a 7 play drive that is designed to both score AND leave the opponent with as little time as possible to retaliate should absolutely feature more than 1 running play at the end when you're inside the 3. If nothing else, once you got a first down and were driving, run it just to force NE to use their timeouts. And once it got to the 3 minute mark, and considering you're going against BB and a group of very smart players, there was no more chance of a 2-for1, so there wasn't even that angle.

It was terrible clock management and I doubt anyone truly felt like the Chiefs were going to win that game when there was 2:04 left. He literally served it up perfectly for a guy and team that are notorious for pulling those games out. There's a reason Pederson went for it on 4th and goal last year, and went creative. There's enough data to show that you can't just lay down and hope the game comes to you. When you have that offense, and the ability to control the tempo of the game, and you purposely don't, it's officially on you.

I watched it for years and honestly thought it would never end because he'll do the same thing next year, and the following, etc. It's who he is. I have no doubt he'd hyphenate his name if he could just decide on whether to add Levy or Richt.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Truth is in the middle. Reid showed a total lack of awareness when the chiefs threw deep into the end zone on 1st down before the 2 min warning. You score when you can but he knew his defense was terrible and he knew Brady would get another chance if they scored so fast. I actually do think the patriots let the chiefs run it in knowing they would have 2 minutes plus to counter.

But truth be told as bad as the chiefs defense was we knew that's what they were. The KC offense and mahomes blew the game in the first half by not showing up.
Your time frame is skewed. KC connected on the 38-yard pass down to the NE 2 with 2:03 remaining. They ran it in from there.

The deep pass occurred with 0:16 left. Mahomes took one final shot at the end zone, which made perfect sense in advance of the game-tying FG.

Malaka

Sep 6, 2018
Your time frame is skewed. KC connected on the 38-yard pass down to the NE 2 with 2:03 remaining. They ran it in from there.

The deep pass occurred with 0:16 left. Mahomes took one final shot at the end zone, which made perfect sense in advance of the game-tying FG.

Yeah but they were at the 40 or so when they took a shot in the end zone around 2 and change that was almost picked off. That stopped the clock. Then they had a big gainer inside the 5 shortly before the 2 min warning. The play call showed their lack of concern about the clock regarding Brady getting the ball back

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He did take them to the brink. He also did the same against the Rams. And the Bucs. And the Delhome lead Panthers. And the Cardinals. And of course, the Patriots. It's in his blood and always has been.

When you have the ball with 3:32 and your opponent has a full complement of timeouts, and just so happens to be Tom Brady and the Patriots, you should try to at least to leave them as little time as possible. The very first play was a deep pass. Then after 2 failed passes and the holding call on Jackson, he goes deep two plays in a row again. As I said, a 7 play drive that is designed to both score AND leave the opponent with as little time as possible to retaliate should absolutely feature more than 1 running play at the end when you're inside the 3. If nothing else, once you got a first down and were driving, run it just to force NE to use their timeouts. And once it got to the 3 minute mark, and considering you're going against BB and a group of very smart players, there was no more chance of a 2-for1, so there wasn't even that angle.

It was terrible clock management and I doubt anyone truly felt like the Chiefs were going to win that game when there was 2:04 left. He literally served it up perfectly for a guy and team that are notorious for pulling those games out. There's a reason Pederson went for it on 4th and goal last year, and went creative. There's enough data to show that you can't just lay down and hope the game comes to you. When you have that offense, and the ability to control the tempo of the game, and you purposely don't, it's officially on you.

I watched it for years and honestly thought it would never end because he'll do the same thing next year, and the following, etc. It's who he is. I have no doubt he'd hyphenate his name if he could just decide on whether to add Levy or Richt.
Here's what I think. KC wasn't able to put together a run game all evening. He put the game into the hands of his talented young quarterback, who delivered. You go with what's working.

At some point, you have to believe in your defense. If not, you're not ready. Go get some defensive help and come back next year.

I'll say it again. Tom Brady with a little time in the pocket is lethal. The clutch throws he made in the waning moments were so impressive.

Malaka

Sep 6, 2018
Here's what I think. KC wasn't able to put together a run game all evening. He put the game into the hands of his talented young quarterback, who delivered. You go with what's working.

At some point, you have to believe in your defense. If not, you're not ready. Go get some defensive help and come back next year.

I'll say it again. Tom Brady with a little time in the pocket is lethal. The clutch throws he made in the waning moments were so impressive.

A little time? Watching kc try nothing different as Brady had all day to throw was brutal.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I'd take a knee twice at the 3 and try my luck on 2 plays rather than give Tom Brady that much time and/or all his timeouts. You can say you have to be able to trust your defense, but it would be like a kicker missing 3-4 kicks in a game and still allowing him to be the final say.

The defense was gassed and clearly had no answer--like basically everyone else--for 3 white guys who were running the paint section at Home Depot or driving a UPS truck a few years and are now unstoppable in 3-4 yard routes. Can't let the defense decide things "just because". And the game earlier this year showed that they absolutely could keep pace with their SB opponent. So you simply can't let that slip away.

The problem is, yes, you might be back next year. Certainly all signs point to that. So it's oh well, we just didn't have enough this year. And then it's rinse and repeat. Before you know it, you've been one of the best teams for an entire decade, have seen tremendous talent come and go, and have nothing to show for it. Again, I lived it. It sucks.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
A little time? Watching kc try nothing different as Brady had all day to throw was brutal.
Hey, they tied for the NFL lead in sacks. At some point you have to give props to the Pats for a great game.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'd take a knee twice at the 3 and try my luck on 2 plays rather than give Tom Brady that much time and/or all his timeouts. You can say you have to be able to trust your defense, but it would be like a kicker missing 3-4 kicks in a game and still allowing him to be the final say.

The defense was gassed and clearly had no answer--like basically everyone else--for 3 white guys who were running the paint section at Home Depot or driving a UPS truck a few years and are now unstoppable in 3-4 yard routes. Can't let the defense decide things "just because". And the game earlier this year showed that they absolutely could keep pace with their SB opponent. So you simply can't let that slip away.

The problem is, yes, you might be back next year. Certainly all signs point to that. So it's oh well, we just didn't have enough this year. And then it's rinse and repeat. Before you know it, you've been one of the best teams for an entire decade, have seen tremendous talent come and go, and have nothing to show for it. Again, I lived it. It sucks.
Take a knee twice? Lol. Are you kidding? That's nuts. You're armchair quarterbacking the effort.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The NFL is looking into a report that a laser was pointed at Brady during Sunday's game. downloadfile.jpeg

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Take a knee twice? Lol. Are you kidding? That's nuts. You're armchair quarterbacking the effort.

Somewhat hyperbolic. As I said, I would never have thrown the ball on 7 consecutive plays, and certainly would't have taken deep shots as if I was in a 2min drill. I'd do whatever I had to do to limit their time, especially considering all I needed was a FG to tie and force OT. You have to live in the moment, and I'd much rather know I made smart decisions and took some calculated risks rather than having to think about the fact that I had a chance at the Super Bowl but mismanaged things by giving Brady and the Pats over 2 min to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator